Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I know this is silly but did anyone else get the sense it was a back-up paper?
    Experiments were way off what I had predicted, and the logo on the front of the paper was coloured differently, and all those mistakes! Really silly errors they were. Probably just me though.

Anyway, I got on okay with the paper, but still probably one of my worst exams. I left out electricity for the experiments, along with one of the mechanics experiments. Guess which mechanics I left out? That's right, the pendulum one.

Anyway, finished the Leaving Cert!

What the hell do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

For the how many times does the astronaut see the sunrise thing, i got 15.4, but surely as .4 of a day is up until 9'oclock, he still would have seen the sixteenth sunrise even if it's not a whole number?

Overall I thought the paper was fair enough.

I got 14 pions too.

the worst thing you can do is think about it too much! the examiner hardly expects you to write: "It would be fifteen assuming he started at midnight but 16 if it started at 9pm and would be 17 if that year was a leap year but would only be fifteen if the the day was the 29th of February or if the rate of the Universe's expansion increased..."

you just divide the period into 24 hours (in seconds). and you get 15.42 which is 15. simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

Ally_ally wrote: »
    i'm the exact same!!!!! it's sooooo annoying! that stupid q1 and q3...i attempted 1 but graph was all wrong...id say i got about 3 out of 4o...seriously!

LMAO,1 and 3 were the ones i couldn't do as well and I also tried the graph on q1 and also got it wrong. Great minds and terrible minds think alike!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sugarplum_fairy

for the fluorescent bulb thing i said it was efficient cause it took non-visible uv, and because of the fluorescence turned it into visible white light.

and for the movement of electrons thing in q7 i talked about the energy level, it jumps up one then falls back and emits a photon of light.

i did one extra q, but unfortunately messed up my q6 and q10, so hopefully one of them will be messed not too badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Went grand for me, probably my best exam. Got exactly 9.81 m/s^2 for g. :D
    Q5 20,000pa for the thumbtack.
    Q7 Resistivity of nichrome - 1.14x10^-6, heat generated by toaster - 120960
    Q8 .01s, .02 Webers and -2v.
    Q11 Change in momentum - 5.4,2.178x10^-19 for the energy of the photon, 1.111x10^-9 for the mass
    Q12a 32.2 for distance, 5.42m for height
    b 423.29 or 211.65 for doppler, depending on how the wording is interpretted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

For the toaster question I struggled to find 3 precautions, seeming as it was 9 marks, so aside from the Earth wire, I wrote to use plastic protection and put warning stickers on the toaster. Deary deary me......

Somebody please: Question 11, golf ball and Newton's Laws part. Explain bitte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Stevieo wrote: »
    For the toaster question I struggled to find 3 precautions, seeming as it was 9 marks, so aside from the Earth wire, I wrote to use plastic protection and put warning stickers on the toaster. Deary deary me......

Somebody please: Question 11, golf ball and Newton's Laws part. Explain bitte!

F = ma

F = (mv - mu)/t

mv - mu = change in momentum = Ft

But if you're not given the mass of the golf ball or club....?

But if you're not given the mass of the golf ball or club....?

You don't need it.

You just need to find the change in momentum, which is mv - mu. It doesn't matter what m, u and v actually are.

Simultaneous equations is it? Darrrrn....I thought of that.

• Advertisement

Simultaneous equations is it? Darrrrn....I thought of that.

Noooo

The question wants you to find the change in momentum.

Ft = mv - mu

mv - mu is the change in mometum.

Ft = change in momentum.

You know F.

You know t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

Parsley wrote: »
    Went grand for me, probably my best exam. Got exactly 9.81 m/s^2 for g. :D
    Q5 20,000pa for the thumbtack.
    Q7 Resistivity of nichrome - 1.14x10^-6, heat generated by toaster - 120960
    Q8 .01s, .02 Webers and -2v.
    Q11 Change in momentum - 5.4,2.178x10^-19 for the energy of the photon, 1.111x10^-9 for the mass
    Q12a 32.2 for distance, 5.42m for height
    b 423.29 or 211.65 for doppler, depending on how the wording is interpretted.

was it supposed to be 9.8? i thought i got 8.6 r sumtin.. Gravitys 9.8 on the surface of the earth, but it was asking for 400km above??
    I did get a fair few of the others the same as you tho.

Did any1 else think that Q5 was harder than usual???

Noooo

The question wants you to find the change in momentum.

Ft = mv - mu

mv - mu is the change in mometum.

Ft = change in momentum.

You know F.

You know t.

If I couldn't get THAT, I'm feeling I failed miserably elsewhere! Nice one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaelkhan3

nyangnyang wrote: »
    I am in shock. I learned 26 of the 28 experiments. The 2 i didnt learn came up.Anyone able to work out the probability of that(im serious i wanna know)

The probability is 17/63. And I got 14 pions. Over all it was easy, Just a few bits of theory I didnt know. I forgot the 237.15 Kelvin

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I forgot the 237.15 Kelvin

I did too. Oh the shame...:o

I am in shock. I learned 26 of the 28 experiments. The 2 i didnt learn came up.Anyone able to work out the probability of that(im serious i wanna know)

Ya I think I got the exact same. I didnt think I got the 2nd part rigth.

alan4cult wrote: »
    No the right answer is 5.418

Method 1:
    Consider man as a bullet upwards
    u=9.2
    v=0
    a=-9.8

s= 4.318

Now that tells you how much he has risen.
    And his centre of gravity is 1.1m above ground so you get 4.318 +1.1 = 5.418

Methid 2:
    Treat it like energy
    Potential energy at start(taking ground as Pe=0)
    = mgh = 1.1mg
    Kinetic energy at start = 1/2m(9.2)^2 = 42.32m

Potential Energy at end = mgh
    Ke = 0

1.1mg + 42.32m = mgh
    1.1g + 42.32 = gh
    1.1 + 4.318 = h (Divide across by g)
    h = 5.418

Brilliant I thought I had it wrong but I did that exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

put warning stickers on the toaster.

:D LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

The probability is 17/63.

no its not its 1 out of just under 400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

The probability is 17/63. And I got 14 pions. Over all it was easy, Just a few bits of theory I didnt know. I forgot the 237.15 Kelvin

Yeah that probability is definitely wrong but i cba to work it out.
    **actually i just tried and i go 6/325? I'm probably wrong.
    And you still don't know the kelvin thing because its actually 273.15, but maybe that was a typo? i didn't do that question anyways.
    Did any1 think they were being tricky in Q3 by having to devide by 2? i nearly didn't realize what they meant was that was 2x the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

wat is 100C in kelvin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

373.15 I think, but don't trust me on that :p

Decerto wrote: »
    wat is 100C in kelvin ?

They'll probably accept 373.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

anyone have the correct answer for latent heat of fusion and for the pendulum i stupidly forgot to divide time by 30 but i squared it and drew l gainst t2...do you think ill loose much for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

L.Ht was about 3.1-3.4 x10^5

For g I got pi^2 ie. 9.8696 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

anyone have the correct answer for latent heat of fusion and for the pendulum i stupidly forgot to divide time by 30 but i squared it and drew l gainst t2...do you think ill loose much for that?

I know someone who did that the last time it came up, he got about 20/40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Pants Dance

Me thinks i got 3.18x10^5 for the latent heat. And you'll probably lose the initial marks but maybe you wont for the calculations....as long as the formula was used

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

i got 275643.5 for the latent heat.....must be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

The LeavyC wrote: »
    Did any1 think they were being tricky in Q3 by having to devide by 2?

Well I'd say if you hadn't already noticed, the 120degree angle would have made it clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ally_ally

LMAO,1 and 3 were the ones i couldn't do as well and I also tried the graph on q1 and also got it wrong. Great minds and terrible minds think alike!!:D
    haha! fairplay to us!!! i left q.1 to the end of the paper coz i looked at it and had a vague memory of us counting oscillations in class....(which hypnotised me and probable put me to sleep...thats why i couldn't remember the rest!!) my graph was goin backwards...like a thermistor and temperature!!!! hahaha! how wrong is that! i'm so annoyed though...thats me down 10 % anyway and i wanted an a in physics :( i'l prob get a b3 id say

Advertisement