Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

muffinman wrote: »
    Well I'd say if you hadn't already noticed, the 120degree angle would have made it clear
    Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

/o\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 less is more

The probability is 17/63. And I got 14 pions. Over all it was easy, Just a few bits of theory I didnt know. I forgot the 237.15 Kelvin

hehehe, id programmed that number into my calculator beforehand :D:D:D:D:D (aswell as that number for the definition of the ampere). Completely astounded that it actually came up -- very fortunate

Ok I got g = (pi)^2 for q(1) ie 9.87..... The formula was g = 4(pi)^2 * slope, and the slope was 1/4, so they canceled. I'm fairly sure this is right, as nothing EVER cancels in Physics lol

I read someone's post about the protons each having 1 GeV, and suddenly felt very very sick... I got 7, but of course this is wrong :( Hopefully I will only be docked a couple of marks.

Did anyone else do 4.? I was a bit gob-smacked that they asked to find a NEGATIVE temperature on the graph! How cruel is that? I had to redo my entire graph!

I actually found (5) very nice. The only one I don't think I got was the neutrino one. For (e) I said a florescent object reflects light, and thus doesn't need to create its own ie doesn't need electricity.

I was happy with gravity one (15 sunrises), but only noticed the weightless part when going through at the end! Very sneaky...

NO idea about the water -> cornea question.

VERY VERY VERY nice q(11)

Also, a VERY nice (12), but I didn't read the doppler question properly, and I didn't find the difference between the frequencies :(

Well at least it's over now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The_Tempest

Awh it was grand! I went over all the nuclear physics last night (Last minute studying FTW) and i was mad happy when i saw those questions!

I totally forgot the formula for calculating g in question 1 though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

for latent heat i did...

mc(dt)+mc(dt)=ml+mc(dt)
    water and cal =ice and ice water
    (.0583)(4200)(20.3)+(.0605)(390)(20.3)=(.0151)l+(.0151)(4200)(20.3)
    5449.6365=.0151l+1287.426
    4162.2105=.0151l
    l=277480.7?????

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

For (e) I said a florescent object reflects light, and thus doesn't need to create its own ie doesn't need electricity.

Ehh I think they were talking about a fluorescent light bulb :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

for latent heat i did...

mc(dt)+mc(dt)=ml+mc(dt)
    water and cal =ice and ice water
    (.0583)(4200)(20.3)+(.0605)(390)(20.3)=(.0151)l+(.0151)(4200)(20.3)
    5449.6365=.0151l+1287.426
    4162.2105=.0151l
    l=277480.7?????
    The rise in temp of Ice was from 0->15/10 whatever it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The_Tempest

Lol they were! It is because it converts the majority of its energy to light energy instead of heat energy like filament bulbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 less is more

oh........................................... ah well, I think I got eight other parts out.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

Slashman X wrote: »
    The rise in temp of Ice was from 0->15/10 whatever it was

would many marks be lost for a wrong figure like that...i really need to pass but it desnt look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

I got 15 I think.

I spent like half an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong because for no apparent reason, I decided the answer should closer to 2 or 3. :/

I got 15 too \o/ It was like 15.49 or something so I said 15...

Period of ISS / Period of earth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Uh oh I got 14 pions and iv jst chekd it nw n got d same again! 15 sunrises. Said electrolyte charge carriers were electrons n positive ions, wil i lose much marks for that? How can 3 pions each of charge +1 have a net charge of 0? it makes no sense! Stoopid examiners! why is the astronaut weightless anyone? And why was quantum theory revolutionary?

Woo had a guess at the newton and it was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

acidstorm wrote: »
    Oh Yeah! Did Anyone do the toaster question?? What was the heat energy generated?

It was 1050 watts i think?

So 1050 watts = 1050 joules per second X 120 seconds X 0.96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Uh oh I got 14 pions and iv jst chekd it nw n got d same again! 15 sunrises. Said electrolyte charge carriers were electrons n positive ions, wil i lose much marks for that? How can 3 pions each of charge +1 have a net charge of 0?

charge is conserved

you've got two protons before and two protons + three pions after.

so the charge of 2p = charge of 2p + 3pion

charge of 3pion = 0.

Pions can be neutral and have 0 charge btw.

For the quantum theory Q, I just took my answer out of the text. I mean, it's technically correct so I should get the marks, right? ... right? :o

For the weightless one, it's the same thing as being in an elevator. The space shuttle and the astronaut are being pulled towards the earth in the same way you and the elevator are, and this causes apparent weightlessness.

As i suspected, the book was lying to me! Pions do not have a definite charge of +1 and d 1 in the book is just an example? Oh for deriving formulae do you have to say wot the letters stand for, completely forget to do it!

Whats this idea of a back up paper? Never heard of em before! I'm asking far too many questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

As i suspected, the book was lying to me! Pions do not have a definite charge of +1 and d 1 in the book is just an example? Oh for deriving formulae do you have to say wot the letters stand for, completely forget to do it!

Whats this idea of a back up paper? Never heard of em before! I'm asking far too many questions!

The same derivation came up in '05 and the marking scheme said nothing about having to explain the notation.

Apparently they set back-up papers in case of a leak.

Pretty nice!!

Another thing that was pretty nice woz how similar that paper was to the mocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Pretty nice!!

Another thing that was pretty nice woz how similar that paper was to the mocks!

Yeah it actually was!

Even the first two sound questions were almost exact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Stevieo wrote: »
    For the toaster question I struggled to find 3 precautions, seeming as it was 9 marks, so aside from the Earth wire, I wrote to use plastic protection and put warning stickers on the toaster. Deary deary me....

I did exactly the same thing... I don't think there's much hope of us getting the marks are there?? What an unforgivably abstract question... Nasty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

The LeavyC wrote: »
    was it supposed to be 9.8? i thought i got 8.6 r sumtin.. Gravitys 9.8 on the surface of the earth, but it was asking for 400km above??
    I did get a fair few of the others the same as you tho.

I meant for question 1 on the pendulum. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

The Walsho wrote: »
    I know this is silly but did anyone else get the sense it was a back-up paper?
    Experiments were way off what I had predicted, and the logo on the front of the paper was coloured differently, and all those mistakes! Really silly errors they were. Probably just me though.

I actually thought this myself when i looked at the paper. Maybe they got the feeling the actual one was too predictable... Examiners could be reading this forum, and probably seen how close people's predictions were. Perhaps they thought there was a leak?

It's a very reasonable explantion. It definitely explains all the stupid mistakes... And i don't think anyone would have predicted the monochromatic light experiment!

I also got 14 pions btw. Everyone in my year who did the exam got different amounts except me and another guy. Delighted to see a lot of other people have gotten it as an answer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Examiners could be reading this forum, and probably seen how close people's predictions were. Perhaps they thought there was a leak?

:rolleyes: I'm sure they have lives too.. They're just regular teachers.. Not conspiracy theorists.. LEAKS DON'T HAPPEN!! (Except for that one time with the Irish paper, yeah I know.. But no backup was used)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

For that toaster question I mentioned earthing & a residual current device & explained what they do, not sure if that's what they were looking for. I thought it might have been the RCD as they're supposed to be for human safety i.e. electrocution.

Argh so annoying with my 7 pions knowing exactly why it's wrong! :rolleyes: Hopefully won't have lost too many marks as I had the basic principle right.

I thought this was definitely easier than the mock we had which was the DEB one I think. Experiments weren't very predictable apart form the latent heat one & that kind of a question 6 has come up fairly recently I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I did exactly the same thing... I don't think there's much hope of us getting the marks are there?? What an unforgivably abstract question... Nasty...

Like...9 marks! What were we supposed to do? Glad to know someone else thinks as ridiculously abstractly. And if we do get those marks, we'll have the last laugh! I'm praying we get the same corrector...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

Stevieo wrote: »
    For the toaster question I struggled to find 3 precautions, seeming as it was 9 marks, so aside from the Earth wire, I wrote to use plastic protection and put warning stickers on the toaster. Deary deary me......

Damn, it was so simple! Is 9 marks too much for just the one? I never really look at the marks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

AndyOTea wrote: »
    Damn, it was so simple! Is 9 marks too much for just the one? I never really look at the marks...

What do you think all the corrections were for?? A warm-up or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AndyOTea

Yeah they were odd. What are the odds that the "first time they've made a mistake on any paper" there's about 5 of em?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 -asdfgh-

alan4cult wrote: »
    Damn I got 7 pions. Ah well only a few marks gone.

Ya i got 7 too nd every1 else who did the question got 7 too so id say its right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 -asdfgh-

The Hitman wrote: »
    I got 20,000pa. Probably wrong as usual!!:)

No i got that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

-asdfgh- wrote: »
    Ya i got 7 too nd every1 else who did the question got 7 too so id say its right

i got 7 too, but who cares, i doubt its too many marks for forgetting to divide or multiply by 2.. its over, thats all that matters, now hopefully i can study it in college next year :P!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

wat the fooks a pion?!

thank god i dropped...

Advertisement