Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm... Physics Paper, how was it for you?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

For the toaster question I multiplied the wattage by 120 annd by 96%. Then I got confused, and thought it was to easy. I then put that figure into the P=I^2R formula, would I lose many marks for doing this? I used to figure I got earlier as I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

did anyone get like 5 times 10*17 pions!!!??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Oh Physics!
    I love you! I really do but why oh why did you have to do that to me?!

I mean come on!
    Explain in terms of electron movement why light is emitted when a metal is heated!!??

I said that the electricity (and therefore electrons) flowing through the wire have enough energy to overcome the work function of the wire, and so electrons are emitted as both heat and photons.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 YellowRabbit

For the why the metal glows in the toaster i wrote the energy causes the electrons to jump to another sub level and when they go back down they emit photons which causes the colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

For the why the metal glows in the toaster i wrote the energy causes the electrons to jump to another sub level and when they go back down they emit photons which causes the colour?

yes! I said that too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yeah that's right. I didn't know it but I remember now my grinds teacher telling us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powpeach

did anyone else find the light question impossible and stupid?????? i was so pee'd off with ths exam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

*Belated exam response*

I quite liked that paper. Felt I did really well in section A, and fairly well in section B. Got 2 volts for the electromagnetic induction question, and 15 sunrises for the circular motion question, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

OH MAN. I'm only just looking at this thread now because the pain was too fresh all day yesterday.

Worst thing was that I studied, and have done well in physics for two years, but Christ I did not understand ANYTHING on that paper. Bad enough when you open it up and the first question is on the only chapter you left out.

My Leaving Cert didn't just end yesterday, it was brutally murdered. I always knew physics would stab me in the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

This just in(always wanted to say that...): My grinds teacher, (who I loooove!) said he heard from loads of teachers that the led question in the resisivity section is gonna be made obselete and not counted because it was too geared towards the applied elctricity side of things, which is an option and was not allowed to be asked in resistivity. (I'm talking about the red light in the toaster q)
    So he reckons any mention of the words "flow of electrons" or "heat energy" should get fairly high marks, or else they'll just put more marks into the calculations or the safety question.

Happy fookin days!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jaysus hopefully not into the safety question... I much prefer solid questions like the LED one than fluffy things like "How do I make toaster safe now?"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

This just in(always wanted to say that...): My grinds teacher, (who I loooove!) said he heard from loads of teachers that the led question in the resisivity section is gonna be made obselete and not counted because it was too geared towards the applied elctricity side of things, which is an option and was not allowed to be asked in resistivity. (I'm talking about the red light in the toaster q)
    So he reckons any mention of the words "flow of electrons" or "heat energy" should get fairly high marks, or else they'll just put more marks into the calculations or the safety question.

Happy fookin days!!! :D:D:D

I didn't see anything about an LED in that question?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It's refering to the heater giving out light maybe. The question at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ally_ally

ok you know what reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally pissed me off?? the stupid newspaper had a review on the physics paper sayin that students were delighted....easy paper all round...no major surprises! Would they feck off!!! i don't see any1 else here praising it!! no1, 2 of the experiments were up in 2006, shorts were weird and hard parts in all the questions!!

same, i always got A's....and i'm suposed 2 be doing it next year in college! so it's kinda embarassing! i can just imagine the questions...."what are you doing next year in college"...."physics"....."did you get an A in the lc" "nope, a C" feck that stupid paper!

cartman444 wrote: »
    did anyone get like 5 times 10*17 pions!!!??:o

haha! yeah i got some ridiculous answer 2! 6398503994.....or something along those lines!!!! GO US!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

heres what i got.i hope some1 else will have gotten the same things.

Q1. g = 9.63
    Q2. l = 3.18X10^5
    Q3. an average of 585nm . did any1 else get this?
    Q6. acc due to gravity at 400km = 8.56 , T = 5,518s , sun rises 15 times
    Q10. 14 pions (Im quite sure thats right as the other two A1 students in the class got it)

now i hope some people got the same :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HeartieDevil

Well, I didn't do Q1 or Q6, but I got the same answers as you for Qs. 2,3 and 10, so here's hoping we're both right!!! I was delighted to see so many other people getting 14 pions, that's what I got, but no one else in my exam centre got it so I was really confused! I thought overall it was an ok-ish paper, even though I was surprised to see the monochromatic light in the experiments, hasn't that been asked like 3 times already? Hadn't covered the experiment in Q1, so I had to do Qs. 2-4, even though I didn't have 3 prepared. Thought question 5 was ok, though the queston about the fluorescent lightbulb was weird, what was that about anyway? Q7 was lovely I thought, I had all the stuff prepared so I was delighted. Q10 was ok, and Qs 11 and 12 were grand, even though I misread 12a so my answer for the height above ground was a bit fecked up! Overall though, a nice paper, I'd be hoping to do well in this one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

flint_72 wrote: »
    Q10. 14 pions (Im quite sure thats right as the other two A1 students in the class got it)

I got the same as you for most answers. for acc due to gravity, it just depends on the accuracy of your graph. there will be a range of values which wil get fully marks. probably 9.1-10 m/s^2

In the pions question, what did you use for the speed of light??? i used 3x10^8 but it gave you the speed of light as 2.997 x10^8 at the bottom of the question. I think you lose a mark if you used that. I got 14 pions but used 3x10^8. :(

for the period i think i got 5600s. one of us probably just made a decimal error or something. probably both get it right.

what are you aiming for??? I'd say i scraped and A2, definately a B1 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

hmmm,i cant remember if i used c = 3X10^8 r 2.9979X10^8 bu im quite sure i used 2.9979 . I just redid the math there,n it would work out at 14 pions either way. what did u get as ur knetic energy? if u used 2.9979X10^8 u should have gotten 2.5346X10^-10 J .
    Im glad 2 c some1 else got 585nm in Q3. Seems no1 else did that question!! it was very unlikely alright. its come up 4 times in 8 exams now!!
    I'd most certainly b hopin 2 get an A1,which im quite happy that ive gotten. Im hopin 2 study Theoretical Physics in Trininy next year n its supposed 2 make the leavin look like piss,so u wana b doin real well in LC.I sure hope i did as well as i thought anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

Ally_ally wrote: »
    haha! yeah i got some ridiculous answer 2! 6398503994.....or something along those lines!!!! GO US!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 matmacfarlane

Heres what i got for the dodgy ones

Q1- average g-9.614
    -I didnt get the slope but instead subbed in values (not the given ones) into
    T=2π√(L/g). Will I lose marks?
    Q2- 3.18063e5 J latent heat
    Q3- 5.8494e7m wavelength
    Q5- b)20 kPa d) Width of window not equal to wavelength of light
    Q6- Main energy conversion- kinetic to electrical??
    Avg. emf=2v
    Q10B Did anyone else draw the given transistor circuit for the last part? Im pretty sure thats what they asked for...
    Q12A 32.2m 5.3m
    Q12B CHANGE in pitch 211.645Hz

Sound ok?

Advertisement