Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad results

Options
  • 16-06-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I'm in 1st year and basically I've just gotten my results and they were awful, a lot worse than I expected. I've only ended the year on 35 credits and I'm really upset and shocked, I don't know what to do next, what the story is on repeating in UCD, and if I'll have to repeat the entire year, or just a semester? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could help me out, I'm hoping that my situation isn't as bad as I think. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 White-Teeth

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Basically you need a minimum of 50 credits to progress, so it does look like you'll have to repeat.

Your immediate step should be to contact your Student Adviser as soon as possible. You can find them here:

http://www.ucd.ie/advisers/advisers.html

For example, if you're Arts, it's Aisling O’Grady. If you're Commerce, it's Jacqueline Levine.

Call them and try and make an appointment. Just after results they'll be extremely busy, as you can imagine. If you're in Dublin and not working, you may want to risk trying to call in in person.

They're extremely helpful, and will make everything clear for you. Bring a printed copy of your grades to make things easier.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm very sorry to read that Charlike.

Try get it sorted ASAP. Repeating isn't uncommon. I have a few friends who repeated.

Keep smiling.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

no need to repeat - just do STAGE X... basically it means your a semester behind everyone else instead of an entire year, so if you make up the credits in the first semester next year you'll be in second year after christmas. So basically you will spend half of every year with your original year and half with the year below. More of my friends did this than didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

no need to repeat - just do STAGE X... basically it means your a semester behind everyone else instead of an entire year, so if you make up the credits in the first semester next year you'll be in second year after christmas. So basically you will spend half of every year with your original year and half with the year below. More of my friends did this than didnt.

Pretty much what simon said.

Assuming you failed 5 modules, you will have to repeat each one but if you managed to get any Es u might not have to repeat those.

When i was in 1st year i failed 5 subjets but my GPA was 2.3ish and i got 3 Es, this meant that i only had too repeat the 2 subjects i got an F in.

So i might not be as bad as you think.

Next year you could potentially take ten stage 2 modules and two stage 1 modules.

hope that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Ok ... daughter in first yr Architecture got GPA of 1.36 [failed 3 0f 4 parts (C) on other ... 2 Es & one F this term] & GPA 2.48 last term ... part of it was made up of assessment work & think she might have needed to pass that .... Says at bottom that she got 35 credits for term ...got full amount last term. What does this all mean ...does she have to repeat? Was thinking maybe she should appeal ... cos for the design assessment part she was given to believe all was going well at regular reviews. Also her Dad had been unwell since February ... thankfully improving well now. Anyone know what it all means or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Noodledoodle

Oops ... that should have been GPA 1.63 this term & 2.48 last term ....do they get added together cos that would give her GPA 2.01 this term.
    what does anyone think of ideae of appeal? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Ok ... daughter in first yr Architecture got GPA of 1.36 [failed 3 0f 4 parts (C) on other ... 2 Es & one F this term] & GPA 2.48 last term ... part of it was made up of assessment work & think she might have needed to pass that .... Says at bottom that she got 35 credits for term ...got full amount last term. What does this all mean ...does she have to repeat? Was thinking maybe she should appeal ... cos for the design assessment part she was given to believe all was going well at regular reviews. Also her Dad had been unwell since February ... thankfully improving well now. Anyone know what it all means or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
    Oops ... that should have been GPA 1.63 this term & 2.48 last term ....do they get added together cos that would give her GPA 2.01 this term.
    what does anyone think of ideae of appeal? thanks

hi not sure excatly what you mean.

are you sure she failed 3 out of 4 and not 5 out of 6, because i'm pretty sure most people do 6 modules each term. you said she passed everything last term which would give her 30 credits "i.e 6 X 5 credits" then she passed one this term "i.e 5 credits" that would make up 35 credits in total.

She got 2 "Es" so given her GPA is 2.01 she will probly get away with only repeating the F grades as she will receive a pass by compensation on these.

this means she will be in Stage X next year. "you take both first year and second year modules untill first year is complete.

Advertisement