Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI/Vivas/Bupa/Quinn and pre-existing illness ?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I worked for a large [Global] multi-national Health Insurance organisation for a while a few years ago. Since witnessing on a daily basis their refusal to entertain any claim for what they termed a "pre-existing condition" for thousands of unlucky sick people I've been a bit wary of signing up for private health insurance and paying a premium myself.

- In my case I have occasional ear/hearing trouble and see an ENT consultant from time to time - my worry is that if I need to claim from VHI/Vivas/Quinn etc. if my condition ever required surgery/long hospistal stays etc. that they will disqualify my claim and keep my money :(

Can anyone advise if this is a valid concern - or even if you have some experience in this area etc.? Also if a particular company would suit me better then I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Thanks, Paul.

p.s. Just remembered that Bupa were banished from our shores.............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that for VHI they normally allow a waiting period for pre-existing medical conditions depending on age, I think for VHI it is 5 years for those under age 55. http://www.vhi.ie/global/index_p.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

In fairness to the insurance companies, if they didn't have this exclusion, most people would just wait until a medical condition arises and then sign up for insurance at that point in time, which kind-of defeats the principle of sharing the risk through insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for the replies folks - and SerialComplaint you are of course right...... I'll never forget witnessing the hundreds of people a day that were turned away from the Claims Dept. of that company after paying [sometimes] decades of premiums on a policy & then never getting the saftey net they thought they had paid for :mad:

- Anyway cheers for the advice !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Raiser wrote: »
    I'll never forget witnessing the hundreds of people a day that were turned away from the Claims Dept. of that company after paying [sometimes] decades of premiums on a policy & then never getting the saftey net they thought they had paid for :mad:
    This doesn't make sense. If they had been paying premiums for decades, they would have passed the 5-year waiting period. Only those within the 5-year waiting period would get their claims declined.

Advertisement