Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

more black metal recommendations please.

• 16-06-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Well, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions before, my DJing set went very well. I really liked some of the music and am starting to enjoy black metal myself. I especially liked Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter." I really appreciated its vibe and I want to find other black metal with a similar vibe. Can anyone recommend something? I also like Darkthrone and Mayhem but I don't like how badly produced some of their albums are. Can anyone recommend something like that but with good sound quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, Immortal are pretty much one of a kind, there's hardly anything that can even come close to their sound, that epic style that they perfected. So if you like Immortal, the only recommendation is more Immortal.

As for anything like Darkthrone or Mayhem with good sound quality, you'd be fairly out of luck there too. Darkthrone are very preachy about how Black Metal is supposed to sound, so you'll find a lot of similar bands are often trying to emulate their production values as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

If you haven't heard them yet, you should give Wolves In The Throne Room and Drudkh a listen. I got turned on them both a few months ago and the CDs are still in heavy rotation on my stereo, I'm really enjoying them. There's vids on Youtube to give them a listen but I really do recommend getting the albums.

Artist : Wolves In The Throne Room Album : Two Hunters Song : I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots link

Artist : Drudkh Album : Autumn Aurora Song : Glare of Autumn link

Artist : Drudkh Album : EstrangementSong : Solitary Endless Path
    link

Would be interested in hearing some recomendations myself.

**Edit : Can't get youtube links to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

hey outshined i was just about to recommend Drudkh!
    something from blood in our wells - great black metal and not bad production either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fixed your youtube links for you Outshined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

@smackbunnybaby,

Yeah they've got it just right haven't they? The songs, Good production and still keeping that BM sound. Really liking them right now.

@Karl Hungus,

Cheers for that duder! /OT What was going wrong there? I selected the text and clicked the youtube buton. PM if needs be, thx.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

What about old Emperor? I Am The Black Wizard would probably get the crowd going. It may not be the most tr00 or kvlt (:p) but tis decent.

Alternatively, get a projector and have those wonderful Immortal videos projected onto the screen. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Watain - Rabid Death's Curse
    Watain - Casus Luciferi
    Funeral Mist - Salvation
    Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
    Bathory - Hammerheart
    Bathory - Under The Sign Of The Black Mark
    Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice
    Deathspell Omega - Kenose
    Abigor - Verwustung

All of the above should be readily available in sentinel, soundcellar or wherver. Not hard to find.

They're pretty much some of the most influental bands that have ever emerged within black metal Beherit and DsO particularly.

If you like any of the above, I can give you a load more of recommendations.

Would probably say Drawing down the moon, and Salvation might be too much. They're pretty daunting at first listen, as they're so intense - particularly Salvation.

Which is why the latter is one of my favourite black metal albums ever, not to mention that it's an out and out masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Alternatively, get a projector and have those wonderful Immortal videos projected onto the screen. :pac:

Some genius put their most famous one (where they run around a forest throwing shapes) in fast forward with the Benny Hill music over it and I nearly died when I saw it. :D

Edit - here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnRt3LaLUc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Den_M wrote: »
    Some genius put their most famous one (where they run around a forest throwing shapes) in fast forward with the Benny Hill music over it and I nearly died when I saw it. :D

Edit - here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehnRt3LaLUc

That's incredible! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Drudkh FTW (brilliant Ukrainian death metal)

Other recommendations:
    -Arcturus
    -Isis
    -Behemoth
    -Agalloch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

This is a great site to find bands that may be up your alleywayhttp://www.last.fm/music/immortal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I'm not a gigantic follower of black metal, I like a lot of the more obvious emperor, mayhem, immortal but I think Ulver's 'Bergtatt' is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

crypotopsy (excuse the spelling)if you like death metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I quite like Astarte.

Advertisement