Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia Programming and Design

Options
  • 16-06-2008 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Anyone done/doing the course? What's it like? Is it much different to Software Development and are the job prospects as good? Please reply as the CAO has to be finalized by July 1st!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Geometric_Jon

Hows the goin. Just found this 4 days before your CAO so hope its not too late!

I think the course is much different to software development. I'm about to go into 4th year (currently on work placement).

This course is quite good. Its entertaining and suitable to anybody who has an interest in computers but is equally quite creative. Its closer to web design thatn software development.

Software Development is actually studied as a subject in 2nd and 3rd year, but from my experience nobody studying multimedia really cares about it and cant wait to drop it. However that is a personal choice. If you are interested in Soft Dev, then you would have the option of pursuing it after doing this course. I am not though, so amn't really in position to advise on that.

Sorry if I seem to be waffling!!!

My personal experience:
    I really enjoyed 1st year.
    I hated second year: It seemed as though none of the subjects were related to one another.

I got over that and stuck with it, 3rd year was good. Quite short though. Started work experience started in february and Im half way through it now. Its only now that everything I learned is coming into practice.

In fourth year Im going to have to develop a "multimedia project".
    Minimum requirements for this will be a web application where a user can log in and upload videos and other digital content.

Again, I dont really know anything about the SoftDev course. But if you are anyway interested in webdesign, then you will find Multimedia as good a course as any.

As far as i can gather, The content of the multimedia course is slightly lighter than that of the software development course, and is not incredibly academically challenging (not that Ive sailed through with flying colours or anything, it does take effort but other courses demand a lot more).

Software Development, I would imagine is more technical.

Multimedia is fun to a certain degree. Soft Dev probably isnt (But it deppends what floats your boat.)

As for job prospects, if your only 17 or 18 I wouldn't worry too much about that. Some people may consider this bad advice, but do what you have an interest in, not something they promise you will be booming, cos by the time you're finished college the economy could look very different. If you manage to get through college, then lots of other doors will open for you. Its not all about knowing how much you'll be earning in 5 or 6 years time.

Good Luck with your decision. Hope I have been of some help. I'm probably too late though! in that case ignore my rant!

Advertisement