Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amauri for Italy

• 16-06-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭

Amauri has pledged to play for Italy! I think this is a massive boost for Italy, they've really been lacking a finisher. Toni for some reason looks more awkward for his international side then his club side. And considering for the next tournement he'll be 33, Amauri is the perfect stopgap until some of the Italian youth prospects become ready.

On another note, what do people make of all this international switching? I know its always gone on, but this is a 28 year old with no natural tie to Italy (no italian grandparent etc) switching allegiance after being ignored by Brazil. Unpatriotic or is it all about personal gain - you decide!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12961_3670785,00.html
    Brazilian striker Amauri has pledged his international allegiance to Italy.

The 28-year-old has played all his senior football in Europe and barring a brief stint in Switzerland at the start of his career he has been in Italy.

Amauri has hit the headlines in recent seasons thanks to his goals with Palermo which have earned him a move to Juventus.

Now after being ignored by Brazil, despite his goalscoring feats in Serie A, Amauri is ready to play for the Azzurri.

"I am looking forward to getting my Italian passport, Italy has allowed me to feel important and Brazil don't," he told the Giornale di Sicilia.

"I don't know whether playing for Juve will change something with [Carlos] Dunga [Brazil coach]."

Amauri admits he is disappointed to have missed out on Euro 2008.

"I think that if the passport had arrived just two months ago, maybe Roberto Donadoni [Italian coach] would have called me up," he said.

"Now I hope to be in South Africa in 2010 [for the World Cup] with Luca Toni - that would not be a bad couple."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

well done for him, congratulations Amauri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Personally i don't agree with it as in if i was a professional playing abroad and wasn't getting a look in in the Irish team i wouldnt play for the country i was playing in.Just a personal thing.

Fair play to him though i can see where he is coming from.He's obviously bitter from not being recognised by Brazil and if he thinks playing for Italy will further or fullfill his career good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Its a bit of a joke that he is even allowed play for Italy, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DSB wrote: »
    Its a bit of a joke that he is even allowed play for Italy, to be honest.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Because he is Brazilian, not Italian. If I move to Mozambique for a few years, I'm still Irish.
    I don't mean him as an individual, I mean as a general rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

pfft, Mauro Camoranesi already blazed a trail with the Italians.

Theres nothing new in players from one country playing for another if they meet whatever the criteria because at the end of the day we're all the same! Nationality is only a piece of paper.

Now lets focus on those 800 Brazilians who live in Gort, there is bound to be a few decent players there who can take Ireland to a major championships!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

not good news for Ireland really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

pfft, Mauro Camoranesi already blazed a trail with the Italians.

Theres nothing new in players from one country playing for another if they meet whatever the criteria because at the end of the day we're all the same! Nationality is only a piece of paper.

Now lets focus on those 800 Brazilians who live in Gort, there is bound to be a few decent players there who can take Ireland to a major championships!

thats just what i was thinkin..my younger brother plays has been playin with clubs in limerick for years now and he says whenever they play against teams from around gort the other team are amazing!!! now, lets get the fa in to set up some scheme...

Advertisement