Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding GPA's.

Options
  • 16-06-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭

This is something that freaks me out! Absolutely just don't 'get it'!

Is a GPA of 2.98 awful? Or is it high enough that I might be able to save myself next year?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/alu/documents/ModularGradesExplainedSem208.pdf
    Has an explanation as to how GPAs relate to ABC etc.
    I'd say you're around the C mark. Should be able to recover from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

GPA
    AWARD
    Greater than or equal to 3.68 First Class Honours
    From 3.08 to 3.67 inclusive Second Class Honours, Grade 1
    From 2.48 to 3.07 inclusive Second Class Honours, Grade 2
    From 2.00 to 2.47 inclusive Pass

So you, like me, are on (if you're in second year... first year doesn't count) a 2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I am in second year Dave, sorry I should have said.

What does a 2.2 mean though? I was told by my friends it was good but from looking that the UCD website, it doesn't seem too great. I admit, I did get a few C's this year. Considerable improvement from my first semester thank God. At least I learned that pushing myself harder can pay off :D

I'm nearly there... I hope :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

I reckon this has been posted a few times. Think I got it just after Christmas. Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I am in second year Dave, sorry I should have said.

What does a 2.2 mean though? I was told by my friends it was good but from looking that the UCD website, it doesn't seem too great. I admit, I did get a few C's this year. Considerable improvement from my first semester thank God. At least I learned that pushing myself harder can pay off :D

I'm nearly there... I hope :p
    Well I guess if the 'spectrum' of GPA's is divided into 4 types -- 1.1, 2.1, 2.2, and pass -- then myself and yourself currently have the 3rd best degree out of 4! If we get our GPA above 3.07 (based on next year's results), then we move into 2nd class honours, grade 1 (ie. 2.1) territory. From what I can tell, Masters programmes require a minimum of a 2.1 degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Dave! wrote: »
    From what I can tell, Masters programmes require a minimum of a 2.1 degree.

Feck! :(

I'll have to improve next year so.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And over on the left of the tourbus, you will see the rare Boring Admin Questions thread in it's natural habit. This rare beast contains information on all sorts of the mysterious workings of UCD, including GPAs! Now, if you'll take a closer look at it's - CRIKEY! IT'S GOT ME BY THE LEG! ARGH!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement