Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me get Internet!

Options
  • 16-06-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I've moved house and need to connect to the Internet. I was thinking of getting a "TV & Internet" package. What would you recommend? NTL, Sky? Or get them seperately? Please help, I've been without Internet at home for 3 weeks now and it's just not the same at work. I needs my privacy!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Here is what you need.

A length of 50 ft cable.
    The biggest satellite dish you can get your hands on

Report back when you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 HitlersHorsebox

3 weeks is long enough for you to have embraced voyeurism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I've got 12mb NTL broadband and I have no complaints so far! Aside from that I can say little other than avoid BT and Eircom like the plague! Check the broadband forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Get a set of cardboard tubes and...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Not allowed to have holes drilled through the wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

You can have my internets for only €2 per day.

Okay... Thanks, that's a great deal. What about the ole TV though?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check in the Broadband forum. This is a common question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Ntl is 30 euro for a month, thats 3mb, but its being upgraded to 6mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've got 12mb NTL broadband and I have no complaints so far! Aside from that I can say little other than avoid BT and Eircom like the plague! Check the broadband forum?

This is possibly the worst advice you can get.

Eircom although more expensive than the rest are easily the best and most reliable provider.

Smart are equally as good, but have limited availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I didn't think sky internet was available in ireland, only in the uk ?

Last i heard they were "looking into" providing internet services in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

After seeing all the trouble some friends have had with sky overcharging them, constantly knocking them off I wouldn't go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Now that you have escaped the idiocy of After hours :D
    Sky don't do broadband here so if you're dead set on getting TV and broadband in the same package your really looking at UPC, Smart or Magnet.

Nah, I don't care about having a phone line. I definately want the Internet and I just thought it would be good to get a few new channels for the TV while I was at it.

Problems is, I can't do any research on it at home, coz I've no Internet, and I can't do a lot at work because I'm in work! Only at lunchtime, but today I had to go to bank at lunchtime. Bah, can't wait to get it sorted once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Nah, I don't care about having a phone line. I definately want the Internet and I just thought it would be good to get a few new channels for the TV while I was at it.

Problems is, I can't do any research on it at home, coz I've no Internet, and I can't do a lot at work because I'm in work! Only at lunchtime, but today I had to go to bank at lunchtime. Bah, can't wait to get it sorted once and for all.

Where do you live? Not your full address but a general location would help. UPC(NTL/Chorus) would seem like your best option if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I apologise that was actually just a error on my part, I ment to type Tv but said phone, the information I gave is still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

sky=good tv but bad broadband ntl/chorus=not as good tv as sky but good cable broadband!!!.......just get a sky tv package and a 3mb eircom package if u can with your line!!if you live in a very rural area your only good opption is sat broadband or maybe digiweb but there not very fast and expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

my advice get smart bb ,or eircom broadband, check whats the dl cap ,no point in getting 4meg per sec if download cap is 4gigabyte per month.SMART is the best if its avaidable in your area, i think ntl is cheapest cos you get cable tv,plus broadband but the cap is low .lok at smarttelecom.ie ,ntl.ie .POST here ,i live in santry ,rathmines whatever area.its worth spending 40euro per month for 2meg connection.

I'm leaning more towards NTL now. I live in Harold's Cross, btw, in an area with low reception. If I had to choose between 30 channels but bad Internet or 10 channels with good Internet, I'd go for the latter. Slow Internet bugs me a lot more than nothing good on TV.

What's the deal with packages, TV channel packages. Is that just a Sky thing? Can you add more on later?

I was on the website but they wanted bank details from me. I would have liked someone to guarantee, "yes, someone will be out to you," and "no, there'll be no holes drilled through the wall," before handing those over, as well as maybe giving me an idea as to when I could expect someone to call out to fit the thing.

I can arrange for someone to be there but we do need to agree a date. Not even a time, the options 9-12 or 1-4 will be fine, but I will need to know what day to ask my mate to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement