Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard/ (graphics card?) for budget pc.

Options
  • 16-06-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Im upgrading a friends computer.

It was runing crap-enium.

Keeping the following bits:

- Case
    - Wlan card
    - Keyboard and mouse
    - Monitor
    - DVD ROM

Adding the following bits:

Vista Home premium
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz Socket 775, 2MB
    Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    SATA DVD+/- RW
    Corsair Powersupply 450W

I need to add memory and motherboard (grahpics card?)

My reason for this post is to ask if a motherboard with integrated grapics would be ok for vista home premium or if I will need a seperate one? (The monitor has DVI connection)

(I have the following lying around: Club3D Radeon 9250 256MB, DDR, AGP 8x, DVI/Tv-Out, Retail)

Any recommendationd for motherboard/memory?

The machine is for surfing the web, e-mail and some simple childrens games nothing intensive. I am trying to keep the cost low but use parts that I have found to be reliable like the Corsairs and Spinpoints and future proof for those tasks.

jackz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

first of check out www.memoryc.ie and use the memory configurator to find some compatible ram for the board... Some of the stuff is dirst cheap. Im talking less then 20€ for a GB. As for the motherboard id go with http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332419

It has 1 pci slot, which should be for the wlan card. and a pci-e slot, incase he wants to add in a graphics card. But this board does come with onboard graphics. No motherboard out there has great onboaard graphics which cal play the latest games, but for what you have described this pc to be used as it will be more then enough.

So all in all 100€ should sort you for the motherboard and ram, obviously buying ram from www.memoryc.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Cheers for the reply anti, certainly looks like there is value to be had with memoryc.

The only prob with the Board you mention is the onboard graphics connection is VGA and despite the system im upgrading being ancient and craptacular the monitor is DVI and I can't use the card I already have because it's AGP.

I don't think they have a socket 775 board with AGP on komplet, not that I should be using AGP with an upgrade anyway I suppose. . . . :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jackz wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply anti, certainly looks like there is value to be had with memoryc.

The only prob with the Board you mention is the onboard graphics connection is VGA and despite the system im upgrading being ancient and craptacular the monitor is DVI and I can't use the card I already have because it's AGP.

I don't think they have a socket 775 board with AGP on komplet, not that I should be using AGP with an upgrade anyway I suppose. . . . :confused:

Just get something like this instead, failing that, use an adaptor :).

Or go even cheaper for a bit more basic but functional and very pocket friendly.

Yea I could definately use a connection like that, I was shocked it had a dvi connection at all. Cool so those boards you mention with the GF7100 onboard should be able to handle vista premium and most tasks?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wouldn't be playing Crysis on it, grand for Vista, HD content, etc.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be playing Crysis on it, grand for Vista, HD content, etc.

I read somewhere on XT or mad shrimps that the board (630i) has some serious issues with hd playback. Something to do with 7100 drivers. There is a great matx board available, not available in ireland though and is fairly expensive for what it is. But its great for what it does.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-257-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=326&name=Asus%20P5E-VM%20HDMI%20Intel%20G35%20Micro-ATX%20(Socket%20775)%20PCI-Express%20DDR2%20Motherboard

Dell time, thank you for your help guys.

Aye dell make some nice value pc's alright. Good aftercare service too.

I know I could get the parts cheaper from germany and go for some lower spec parts (which I wouldn't like to do and then stand over them) but it was costing €570 on komplett for parts I would be happy with. I put together a similarly spec'd on dell.ie and droped off the monitor keyboard and mouse -> €430 incl vat and delivery.

Cant go wrong with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement