Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/DVD Watching tip for hearing impaired

Options
  • 16-06-2008 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Well folks - after years of herself putting up with me having the TV that bit louder than the average I recently had to improvise a better solution with the arrival of babies at home who wouldn't sleep through my explosions and car chases ;) Also headphones are only practical if you're watching TV alone as obviously you cut the volume to the main speakers as soon as you plug them in.

To many this will be very obvious but I hope that it will help some folks who mightn't be aware that its a simple but viable option - and maybe save them some money on pricier alternatives......

Locate the audio out RCA/Phono sockets on the back of your TV - If you don't have these [older TV's etc.] then your Sky/Sky+/DVD Player will [usually] have their own RCA/Phono sockets on the back. And you'll have to unplug them and re-plug them for TV/DVD etc. or else use an RCA/Phono input switcher from Maplins.

*** Not sure re. NTL/Chorus to be honest ***

imageview.php?image=1585

Connect re. the below type cables - which are cheap and stocked in your nearest Maplins outlet.[second photo is if the audio out is sourced from a PC/Laptop/Ipod etc.]

rca-cable.gif
    35rca6new08.jpg

The RCA/Phono out will be what is termed a "line level" output - ie. this is not powerful enough to drive speakers or even headphones very loud. So you need to amplify the signal to some extent - Which should be the only relatively expensive purchase you may have to make. However you may well have an existing stereo/HIFI unit at home that will do the job. You need something with audio in sockets and then either audio out/speaker connections or just the ordinary headphones socket. Something small from argos should do the trick. You may need to get a model number and check its inputs/outputs online

P.S. Below Hifi image is for illustration only - check it out for suitability first :D
    SCPM4DBEB_S.gif
    Finally the Sennheiser HD 30 TV can be turned up very loud without the sound getting distorted [ie. as tiny headphone speakers would] Also what is nice is that it [usually - check first] ships with the Sennheiser HZR 62 which gives you independent volume control in each ear. Which I really like as my right ear is a bit blitzed I'm afraid.

HZR62_zoom.jpg
    HD30_TV_gross.jpg

WARNING !!! Do your research first so you only buy what you need and keep all receipts until you are up and running in case of mishaps!!!

Advertisement