Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor spot lights

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Can anyone tell me how to go about wiring up a set of out door spot lights. I want to power them from a switch just inside the back door. The switch is currenly only set up to control one light internally so it will need to be converted to a double switch. I will also need to drill through the wall to pick up the switch.????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 51fun

omad65 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to go about wiring up a set of out door spot lights. I want to power them from a switch just inside the back door. The switch is currenly only set up to control one light internally so it will need to be converted to a double switch. I will also need to drill through the wall to pick up the switch.????
    you need to contact a qualfied electrician, electrics are not to be messed with it. dosent sound like a major job depends on how easy it is to pick up a neutral and earth and a switch wire down to your existing switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I agree with the above,
    making sure the power to the circuit is off at the fuseboard and picking up the switch is only part of the task and it will only give you the live cable (if its wired like most houses, you could be lucky Live, Neutral and earth could all be at the switch, but it is unlikely), a neutral and earth from the old light will also be required. The fact that the spots would be outside means that a earthing circuit will be very very important,
    so you should make sure that whoever you get to do it has the circuit earthed, even if the one in the house is not.

Advertisement