Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

So now the results are out how much is everyone looking forward to graduation? I cannot wait!!! anyone know when the info packs are out and what generally happens on the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh! no clue :) i think i have to wait til decemeber 3rd or something like that for the science graduation. what a wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Not really tbh, I'll probably have to take a day off work lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

I graduate next Wednesday. Got the info pack today. I can't say I'm overly excited about it, but I suppose it'll be a good night after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Do we get to wear the cape and hat thingy for graduation or have they stopped that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Do we get to wear the cape and hat thingy for graduation or have they stopped that?

Yeah they still do that. It's tradition.

Here's the conferral schedule.

www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Chakar wrote: »
    Yeah they still do that. It's tradition.

Here's the conferral schedule.

www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

What's that all about? I passed my degree today and Arts was on April 29th? I wasn't at that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

ShaneU wrote: »
    What's that all about? I passed my degree today and Arts was on April 29th? I wasn't at that :confused:

That would have been for people graduating from Arts in 06/07, i presume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Look at the end of the page. Obviously we're graduating in either November or December 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Ah the calibre of an Arts student...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'm graduating thursday week.

Can't say I'm all that bothered. More of a hassle than anything trying to sort out everything for it but I guess it'll be nice to introduce the parents to people etc.

Better book my gown and stuff soon too. Ah well sure - it'll be graaaand.

• Advertisement

Im trying to think when is the best time to have graduations.
    In Summer you might have travel plans, but from the following winter on you could be working or have moved. They can be a bit of a hassle. I think early september or late august would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yea but if you were doing a Masters or some other course early September is when they'd be starting so graduation then or late August would possibly interrupt the first few days of induction/getting settled/finding accommodation, etc. Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

It's a bit of a pain for me not knowing when the graduation for Arts is because I'm going away to work in November and would like to know so I can try andf arrange flights and time off and all that jazz! Grr arg!

Ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

I graduate next Wednesday... Kinda looking forward to it but at th esame time its kinda **** - my parents will be away for it... :( Gonna go out for dinner that night with neighbours, Bf etc and then head out with class... Not overly excited about it but I think it will be a very nice feeling to get that honours degree after four long years!!! :rolleyes:

Will be just like a night out after that really....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ah the calibre of an Arts student...
    Quiet you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So so good that I had to put it on page 2 as well.

XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭June2008

apparently the reason girls wear the hat and boys dont is because the hat "caps" education for women as in its the highest level we can achieve whereas boys are free to spread their educational wings! normally i wudnt wear it out of protest...but i really want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

June2008 wrote: »
    apparently the reason girls wear the hat and boys dont is because the hat "caps" education for women as in its the highest level we can achieve whereas boys are free to spread their educational wings! normally i wudnt wear it out of protest...but i really want to!

"As with other forms of headgear, in the Commonwealth, academic caps are not generally worn indoors by men (other than by the Chancellor or other high officials), but are usually carried. In some graduation ceremonies caps have been dispensed with for men, being issued only to women, who do wear them indoors, or have been abandoned altogether. This has led to urban legends in a number of universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland which have as a common theme that idea that the wearing of the cap was abandoned in protest at the admission of women to the university."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That was postgraduate graduation. Don't worry.

Graduation is an annoyance - as Steph said, the only perks are introducing family to friends they haven't already met, and the grad night out. That said, mode 1 graduation is seperate to regular arts, which is divided into two groups due to size, so you might not be graduating with your friends at all... it's pot luck. The photos take ages, the gowns are a bit ick, the waiting while everyone else is called out is SO boring. It's horrible, but the best bit is waiting for the inevitable girl tripping and falling. How's that for a highlight to a rather unnecessarily expensive day, eh?

• Advertisement

Blush_01 wrote: »
    It's horrible, but the best bit is waiting for the inevitable girl tripping and falling. How's that for a highlight to a rather unnecessarily expensive day, eh?

Evil!

June2008 wrote: »
    Theres always one...

The Academic Cap is worn by women only because thats the decorum, it has to do with Religious practice (specifically Corinthians 1:11 for Christians I think and there are similar references in the Torah and Koran).

You might notice older women at Church, particularly on big days like Christmas, Easter and Weddings still wear hats. It has largely gone out of fashion though.

It does not symbolise a "cap" on women or a protest by men, it is just the etiquette surrounding the wearing of hats, an etiquette with its roots in Christian past.

So the only thing to protest about, is how you managed to get a degree. Someones not doing their job right...

Lol, copy and paste!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thanks redeye . Your powers of googling stuff continue to amaze and inspire us.

Grimes wrote: »
    Thanks redeye . Your powers of googling stuff continue to amaze and inspire us.
    It was actually a copy and paste from a post of mine in a different thread of the same subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Your powers to copy and paste stuff that you had previously googled continue to amaze and inspire us

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You get to listen to a half hour of hugh brady *yawn*

Grimes wrote: »
    Your powers to copy and paste stuff that you had previously googled continue to amaze and inspire us
    This thread has been brought to you by Grimesade, twice as bitter as lemonade.

Red Alert wrote: »
    You get to listen to a half hour of hugh brady *yawn*
    I was amazed by how poor a public speaker he was. The speech was fine, but he stumbled, stuttered, lost his place and rarely looked up. And he used to be head of the Quinn School!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I was amazed by how poor a public speaker he was. The speech was fine, but he stumbled, stuttered, lost his place and rarely looked up. And he used to be head of the Quinn School!

To be honest it was his piss poor fluency in reading Latin that was worst. The Dean of Science was much, much better in that regard. Also the Dean is like 8 foot tall which looks quite amusing in full academic dress.

Graduation for us was great, more like a re-union really. I guess maybe other faculties aren't as social as ours was though.

Advertisement