Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting someones personal details ... is this a bannable offence?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if it is a bannable offence to post personal details (in the form of pictures, names, addresses, etc) without that person(s) permission? What is boards.ie policy on this?

I'm specifically NOT talking about data/information already available on the web (e.g. Bebo etc) ... I'm talking about pictures and other data that might have been taken from someones hard drive without their permission.

Thanks
    G23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Each case as it comes really.

As a rule, any such information will be deleted when it comes to our attention. We're iffy enough about posting specific contact details such as a mobile number, address or email address, even if it is available on the web.

Then we'll see what the intent was. If it was a couple of mates having a laugh, it may be overlooked. If it's a malicious attempt to damage someone's reputation or otherwise cause them harm or embarrassment, I would think that a siteban would be the minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Thank you for the prompt and excellent reply.

In the light of what you have said, I'd really appreciate your opinion (and the offical word from boards.ie) on the following. There was an AH thread that got deleted a few hours ago because of complaints. The thread concerned a travellers wedding where pictures of the wedding were posted. The thread was locked and deleted after a feedback thread and various complaints.

The poster who posted the pictures was unaware of where they came from. He said in the feedback thread ...
    Rb wrote: »
    I uploaded them to imageshack, they were forwarded to me in an email so God only knows where they originated, be it someones picture folder on their personal computer or Ok Magazines website.

I am offended that personal information such as this that may have been taken from someones hard drive and posted on a public forum like boards.ie.

The poster has stated that he did not know where the pictures and data came from. My belief is that he didnt care.

Is this a bannable offence?

Thanks,
    G23

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I haven't forgotten about this...real life is in the way somewhat. I'll try get a look this evening, but if someone else wants to go ahead....then knock yerselves out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I am offended that personal information such as this that may have been taken from someones hard drive and posted on a public forum like boards.ie.

Offended?
    may have been
    Do you have proof? Has someone from the picture complained?
    If not, then you and I are just guessing and considering the size of the internet, the fact that you can get pictures from so many places on it, then we would have to disable all picture posting on this site to avoid posting a pic of someone who maybe offended.
    The poster has stated that he did not know where the pictures and data came from. My belief is that he didnt care.

That's because he probably doesn't.

No.
    As it stands so far, I don't see how it's a bannable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gandalf23 wrote: »

Thanks,
    G23
    This particular case? Not in my opinion, no. These pictures are in the general public of Google. Fair enough, they may not be allowed to be posted, hence people should report the post if this is the case and a mod will look into it.

How can you ask if this particular case warrants a ban when so many people (including you) post fail pics that show people full-faced. eg. If Rb would have added lolcattery text underneath each photo would it be ok?

Imo he wasn't doing it with bad intentions - he posted it in Afterhours, the den of complete madness, good for a cheap laugh. But of course if you see something that seems personal information then definitely report the post(s).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

OK, thanks guys.

Advertisement