Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persepolis

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone read this graphic novel? Its about a girl growing up in Iran after the cultural revolution. Its very good imo and was made into a film recently. Its quite funny but also there are some very serious events, all of which the author manages to deal with without being judgemental of Iran or muslim society there, unlike the completely biased view we get in the media here. Definitely worth reading I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

most of the regular posters to the forum have read persepolis - its actually a series of books but the english version combined books 1 and 2 of the french books into one book generally called Persepolis and books 3 and 4 into one as well usually called Persepolis 2 [which deals with Satrapi's high school years in Austria, college in Iran and finally moving to France] thou since the film came out I've mainly seen compiled editions of the whole series as one book.

The film is beautiful - I worked with a few of the french animators who worked on the film and saw some of the line tests that were really amazing. I think one of the reasons the film works so well is that Satrapi directed it herself thou keeping it very clsoe to her style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Well worth going to see the film too. It ties in very well with the novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

is the film still in cinemas?is it in french or english.thanks for the replies.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think this is the last week, It's still in The Lighthouse Cinema (highly recommend this cinema)

It's in English.

Haven't seen the film myself, debating going along to an early show on Friday :)

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's in English.

Its in French but there are two english options one with subs and other with a dubed soundtrack. the IFI were showing it with subs [and dubbed I think, will stand corrected on that] Its better in french as the animators lip synched the animation to the french soundtrack thou Iggy Pop did do one of the voices for the english soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The dubbed version actually isn't too bad (and I'm one of those people who despises dubbed films). Most people will have to wait until it comes out on DVD to see the subtitled version, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I also saw the dubbed version (in Cineworld) , and in my opinion it doesn't suffer for being dubbed, although I am also one of those people who is definatly not a fan of dubbing .

The film itself is fantastic and I can't wait to watch it again, the animation style follows the book very well - the scene with "eye of the tiger" playing is hilarious. :D

persepolis is out on DVD here next week and on August 18th in the UK and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

thats defiantly on the buy list :D

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5322644/Persepolis/Product.html?cur=258

from the listing here it only says that it's in french with english subtitles - but I imagine that the dubbed version will be an option on the DVD?

thats defiantly on the buy list :D

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5322644/Persepolis/Product.html?cur=258

from the listing here it only says that it's in french with english subtitles - but I imagine that the dubbed version will be an option on the DVD?

amazon says dubbed and subbed so I would assume its the same set up for play.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 FUGGER

Anyone read this graphic novel? Its about a girl growing up in Iran after the cultural revolution. Its very good imo and was made into a film recently. Its quite funny but also there are some very serious events, all of which the author manages to deal with without being judgemental of Iran or muslim society there, unlike the completely biased view we get in the media here. Definitely worth reading I think.

Hello. If you enjoyed the great Persepolis you also might enjoy the graphic novel 'Epileptic' by David B. Graphically it is similar in style to Persepolis and it's also auto-biographical and French. If you want to know more about it use the link below.

http://www.bookslut.com/nonfiction/2005_05_005390.php

It's in Hodges Figgis, just sitting there, waiting to be bought.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Epileptic is another slice of black-&-white awesomeness. Everyone should read it. EVERYONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It looks good. I don't speak french though is there an english version?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's definitely been translated to English, although I don't know if the translation has had a paperback release yet (think it has, but couldn't swear to it).

Looks like it has a paperback release, and Play have it listed here.

FUGGER wrote: »
    Hello. If you enjoyed the great Persepolis you also might enjoy the graphic novel 'Epileptic' by David B. Graphically it is similar in style to Persepolis .

Thats cus Marjane Satrapi started her comics carer after meeting David B - She adopted a style similar to his esp with her early work. David B co-founded the publisher L'Association and pretty everything they put out is amazing! You can get Epileptic in english and a good few of L'Association publications are translated into english but even the ones that are in french I've picked up - ordinary level leaving cert french and I've managed to read them so don't be put off - you can get them dirt cheap of the likes of amazon.fr or Alapage, the layout is the same as all shopping sites so its pretty easy to figure out what info goes where when buying stuff.

Killoffer is another founding memeber of L'Association and his stuff is amazing and alot of it is silent. 676 Apparitioins of Killoffer is one of the best graphic novels I've picked up [and its silent]

Yippie for French comics - we need more of them in this country :D

Advertisement