Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Album of the Week #38 - Rammstein - Mutter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

genius album. every single song is worth a video/single release. no filler album.

liked rammstein from the time i heard "du reich so gut" and this was the first time they had a beefy, produced sound. i still think it's better then "reise, reise"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

A proper rocking/stomping album! The fact that a group singing in German can be so successful and sell so well is a tribute to their music and their stage personas. I have to admit this is the only Rammstein album i bought, and I think it is definetly when they peaked in my opinion. (have some other songs through friends!) Would love to have seen them live back in the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

no way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Yeah, great album, by far their best to date. More guts than theatre back then. Seemingly on a decent material downward spiral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Great band, great album. This is the only album of theirs I own, and jeebus only knows why I don't have more of their stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They really are fantastic.

For me Reise, Reise wins out, but this is an amazing album.
    Not the first time I heard Rammstein but the first time I felt compelled to buy one of their albums. Ich Will is what got my attention, a cracking and provocative video.
    I now have all the albums and have even been to see them live.
    They had a huge impact on me and how I feel about music.

Anybody who laughs at them or judges them based on superficial things are only denying themselves an amazing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Their best album imo. Theres a brutality to the riffs that makes the thing compulsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Finally! :pac:

One of the first metal albums I got, and still one of my favourites.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Brilliant album! As project Mayhem said, no filler

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Wasn't this the theme for kerrang when kerrang actually used to play half way decent music ( as in not MCR and **** like that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Great great record.

Love Sonne especially.

The only bad thing about it I'll say is that the lyrics are absolute ****e. (german speaker)

If anyone wants a laugh type in "Rammstein Tier lyrics english" into google.

Thats a strange song (not on mutter but still)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Great album but I always preferred 'Reise, Reise'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Oh Yeah.
    Amazing album, its what really got me into Rammstein.
    I will never get sick of Ich Will.

Reise Reise does just edge it for me but love the rawness of Herzeleid.
    Hope on their next tour they will get an outdoor gig here but will travel to see them anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Nea wrote: »
    I will never get sick of Ich Will.
    Hear hear. Great album.

judas101 wrote: »
    Great great record.

Love Sonne especially.

The only bad thing about it I'll say is that the lyrics are absolute ****e. (german speaker)

If anyone wants a laugh type in "Rammstein Tier lyrics english" into google.

Thats a strange song (not on mutter but still)

in secondary school, i tried to get my school to do german instead of french, but there wasn't enough interest in the class to allocate a teacher for it. so i decided to try and learn it myself... and used rammstein lyrics, some books and watched bundesliga games to try and pick up the language.

i've never experienced such terrifically terrible lyrics then those contained in rammstein's songs. still though, if you're blissfully ignorant they're great as an instrument piece :D

Ask any German, most Rammstein songs are satirical, containing numerous German "in" wordplays and subtleties far too clever for the foreign translator.

djScarey wrote: »
    Ask any German, most Rammstein songs are satirical, containing numerous German "in" wordplays and subtleties far too clever for the foreign translator.

i've got a crapload of german family (actual born-in-germany stuff with mad names etc.) and they would tend to agree that rammstein is horrible lyrically.

Well, I don't know shedloads of Germans, but I do know some. :rolleyes: They find Rammstein sarcastic and witty. Presumably, you have some way of reconciling the band's obvious intelligence with some kind of lyrical stupidity.

And presumably your German relations derive from the same school of thought as the Koln-Munchen West German conservative media mafia who initially declared Rammstein as Neu-Nazis, before finally getting it.

Well, I don't know shedloads of Germans, but I do know some. :rolleyes: They find Rammstein sarcastic and witty. Presumably, you have some way of reconciling the band's obvious intelligence with some kind of lyrical stupidity.

And presumably your German relations derive from the same school of thought as the Koln-Munchen West German conservative media mafia who initially declared Rammstein as Neu-Nazis, before finally getting it.
    Whoever knows pain becomes criticized
    from the fire that burned up the skin
    I throw a light
    in my face
    A hot cry
    fire

Bang bang

Whoever knows pain is raised
    from the fire that burns in desire
    A sparking thrust
    into her womb
    A hot cry
    fire

Bang bang
    Fire at will!

Whoever knows pain is dangerous
    from the fire that burns the soul
    Bang bang
    The burned child is dangerous
    with fire that separates from the life
    A hot cry
    Bang bang
    Fire

Your happiness
    is not my happiness
    it is my misery

Bang bang
    Fire

rough translation... but yeah, i get what you mean. you're right. their songs just ooze wit and intelligence, but i'm just too dumb to get it. and it's obviously hereditary, as my born-and-bred german family don't get "it", maaaan.

before you rant at me... i love rammstein. they've always been one of my favourite bands. my german family who know who rammstein are, also love rammstein. they're fantastic... but i'm not going to convince myself or be convinced of some sort of underlying lyrical genius that lies within each song they've written.

Your translation certainly helped me to understand your point and made me smile. A dictionary and XxX fire obsession influence, perhaps?? You might e-mail your relations and ask them has the song anything to do with being raped and consequently committing suicide from the pain. Oh and the song rhymes (in German) too, a very easy skill for most song-writers and translators.

• Advertisement

XxX fire obsession

:confused:
    You might e-mail your relations and ask them has the song anything to do with being raped and consequently committing suicide from the pain. Oh and the song rhymes (in German) too, a very easy skill for most song-writers and translators.

i don't think you're getting my point here. i'm not talking about rammsteins ability to tackle subject matter and write about them... or the ability for till and co. to write catchy, rhyming songs. i'm just saying the actual execution of the lyrics is ****e.

great, till wrote a song about rape/suicide. good for him. it still doesn't make him a good songwriter.

In relation to the XxX reference, your Feuer Frei translation I've seen on websites and appears to have been influenced and themed with reference to that film (opening sequence), rather than objectively.

Rammstein lyrics, I agree won't shake the earth like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen maybe have, but they provide far more current social and political commentary than the usual metal fantasy satanic/ viking/ love stuff.

Like yourself, I know some German and indeed Germans. Your critique of their lyrics doesn't seem to wash over there. Most have a problem interpreting them but stop far short of deriding them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No, that's a pretty decent translation. I quite like their lyrics, I think the wordplay can be quite witty, but not being a native German speaker I guess I'm not the best one to judge.

I love this album, it's just deadly, every song is a cracker.

:confused:

i don't think you're getting my point here. i'm not talking about rammsteins ability to tackle subject matter and write about them... or the ability for till and co. to write catchy, rhyming songs. i'm just saying the actual execution of the lyrics is ****e.

great, till wrote a song about rape/suicide. good for him. it still doesn't make him a good songwriter.

Just because the lyrics don't make sense in English doesn't mean they don't make sense in German.

I think U2s lyrics are ****e....they just don't make sense.

Just because the lyrics don't make sense in English doesn't mean they don't make sense in German.

I think U2s lyrics are ****e....they just don't make sense.

this is why i brought up people who do know german. u2 is a good example, as is coldplay et al. their lyrics are inane and useless...

Exactly, so people would say, 'I didn't udnerdstand their lyrics so I had my German learned friend translate them...and they were teh wacky! LOL!!!!111111'

And suddenly these people forget that just about every band has 'wacky' ambigious lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

judas101 wrote: »
    I think they are more popular in the English speaking world, than they are in Germany... and that says a lot:pac:

the_syco wrote: »
    I think they are more popular in the English speaking world, than they are in Germany... and that says a lot:pac:

I don't think that for a second....since they sold out the Wulheide arena four nights in a row...and that was just Berlin.
    And what exactly do you mean by the English speaking world? Britain, Ireland, America and Australia?

Quite right senordingdong. That Berlin fourgig sellout would not happen in any English speaking city. Rammstein's earlier releases all hit high in the German charts, Herzeleid and Sehnsucht eg selling over 500,000 in the German market and Live aus Berlin going straight in at No. 1, long before MTV attracted the English-speaking pop-rocksters. Rammstein have been doing sell-out tours in Germany as headliners since 1997.

• Advertisement
Advertisement