Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Apprentice

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Anyone applying for it? I did but I've no hope of getting it because I'm only 18!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Haven't heard anything about it. Any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pinkeeeee

Probably shouldn't seeing as you're competition haha but its on the tv3 website tv3.ie think its in special features. You has to have a recent photo of yourself though so they obviously only want television worthy faces! haha.

Hmmm, I wondering whether to apply for it or not! Here's the link for anyone who wants it:

http://www.tv3.ie/theapprentice/

Dave

Why wouldn't you? If you get called for it and have decided you don't want to then just reject it. But you might regret it if you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Guys, there's a big thread on this already over in the television forum & in AH and maybe in W&J.
    I'll leave this open for the time being.. we might get a new spin on it...

Oh sorry, I'm new :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I don't follow the RSS on those areas so this was the first I'd heard about it.

New Spin - why shouldn't an 18 year old go for it?

No problem.
    The search function is really useful, just a tip for the future if you wanna see if a topic has been covered or you're just looking for info...

Welcome to boards by the way! :pac:

Thank you. :)

DJB wrote: »
    New Spin - why shouldn't an 18 year old go for it?

Well like I don't have alot of hands on experience but thats what I'm looking for really. Noone's going to give you a shot you have to work your way up and its hard to do that when you're only doing your leaving cert. But when it comes to business I just absorb information so easily because I'm more interested in it than anything else like business is my hobby! So I'd love to give it a shot because when I'm watching the British one I always spot where they're going wrong and think of ideas that would have been better etc so all I need is to be given a shot like!

• Advertisement

Fair play to you for giving it a shot. If nothing else, this will be experience for you. When I started out, I was always conscious of my age and I built up my phone voice to make me sound older and I was much more convident on the phone because generally people didn't know I was only 20.

Remember, this show is to win a competition to become an apprentice. If you show that you've got the natural skills that could be turned into something great, you could be in with a shot. At the same time, from watching the show, you may be held back from not having much practical business knowledge but at the same time... you have to learn somehow.

As a matter of interest, what do you plan to do now that you've left school? Do you want to run your own business, go to college, get a job?

I plan on studying Business in DCU. I have a few ideas for starting up a business but I'm planning on waiting until I've a little bit more knowledge and money behind me. I know someone in England who goes into failing businesses and turns them around-that is my ideal job. So I'm planning on begging and pleading to see if I can be given a shot at that whether it be for a summer, work experience or after I graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

DJB wrote: »
    Hmmm, I wondering whether to apply for it or not! Here's the link for anyone who wants it:

http://www.tv3.ie/theapprentice/

Dave

the_apprentice.jpg

I just got an e-mail to say I didn't reach the second round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭norm

Hard luck. But don't worry about stuff like that. Sure, it would have been a good experience, but why don't you get working on the business idea you have? You may not have the "knowledge and money" as you put it, but see how far you can take it. Don't let time pass you by. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sharp_shooter

Hi pinkieeee,

I am looking to set up som businesses and have some ideas. maybe we an help eachother out.

If you wanna talk more you can email me on:

oisinbridgeman@yahoo.com

look forward to hearing from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,346 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Namesco wrote: »
    the_apprentice.jpg

Does the guy on the left do Blue Steel and Magnum as well?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

pinkeeeee wrote: »
    Well like I don't have alot of hands on experience but thats what I'm looking for really. Noone's going to give you a shot you have to work your way up and its hard to do that when you're only doing your leaving cert.

Firstly, no one is going to "give you a shot" at anything. When you start up your own business, you are completely on your own and no person is going to give you anything that you haven't had to fight extremely hard for. This nonsense that you are going to be handed something on a plate and whisked off in a Rolls Royce because you can sing, dance or talk a better game than the person in the queue behind or in front of you is just a complete load of crap.
    pinkeeeee wrote: »
    But when it comes to business I just absorb information so easily because I'm more interested in it than anything else like business is my hobby! So I'd love to give it a shot because when I'm watching the British one I always spot where they're going wrong and think of ideas that would have been better etc so all I need is to be given a shot like!

Yeah, and guess what, your not the only person who can see the candidates making obvious mistakes! This is due to the way that the show is presented and edited. If it wasn't cut like this, nobody would be watching it!!! Please please heed me on this if on nothing else, NOBODY IS GOING TO GIVE YOU A SHOT AT ANYTHING, UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING IN IT FOT THEM!!!" You need to make your own "shots" and the only way you will get these shots is through pure hard work. The hardest thing you will ever do is start up a new business. It pisses me off no end that there are TV shows out there that make it look so simple. It isn't. What you see on The Apprentice is a complete illusion, paid for with someone else's money.

If you have a business idea, put your own money behind your idea and work as hard as you can to make it work. If your idea is half decent and you work damn hard, it just might work out for you...

Advertisement