Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to move to Ireland. Am I mad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

I second the working holiday here, to test the water (although the water is bloody freezing over here:D) before you decide if you want to move over permanently.

I have lived in both countries and would choose OZ over Ireland in a heartbeat.

Always amuses me how people who live in Oz for 1-2 yrs can say theyd live there 'in a heartbeat' over Ireland. . .living somehwere on a working holiday visa (with no real ties,responsibilities etc) is completly different to living somwhere (with a 9-5 job, mortgage etc etc). . .and thats coming from someone who isnt irish, whose from down that part of the world and whose lived here for 7 yrs with no intention of going back!

Nz/Oz aint all what its cracked up to be and Irelands not as bad as people who have holidayed on Oz/NZ make out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

I'm not too worried about the fact that there are makeup schools in Ireland and graduates spilling onto the streets. You'll get that in a lot of places. It's not who you know though, it's who knows you ;)

One of the first things that became very evident to me in my research was to get a car although I'd prefer a van. Someone told me you have "vanettes" which are smaller than, say, a Transit Van. So far, I'm encouraged by the cost of insurance as it appears to have come down a bit.

I also have back up work if I need it.

Regarding the Australia v Ireland scenario, I note that many people focus on the material and it's not hard to. After all, there are stark differences and when you've been living one way all your life, another way is bound to be appealing. But of all the people I've known who have moved here on residency visas, 75% of them have moved back to Ireland. Why? They miss their families. I note of the couples that do stay, that one person in the partnership is Australian and it's their partner's extended family takes the sting out of being so far away from their own.

It's an interesting point raised about backpackers coming out because their circumstances are quite different. They're not out here to exchange mortgages, raise families or invest in any major way. And for the thrillseeker, well, you've come to the right country be it Australia or New Zealand. Both offer a plethora of things to do and endless ways to get yourself into trouble. And good luck to them - at least they travel.

But most, if not all, go back. And with things being vastly different now compared to 20 years ago, they can afford to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

In terms of makeup etc I know nothing (hey, i'm a guy , i'm not supposed to!), not even of business prospects.

However, I do know about moving to Ireland, as I accidentaly did just that almost 7 years ago.

(Backstory-ish thing) My dad is originally from Co. Kildare in Ireland, and as kids we used to visit our Grandmother on the Co. Cork/Tipp/Limerick border every other year until she passed away in early 2000.

In late 2001 I arrived in Ireland for a weeks holiday. Truth be told it was more about getting awa from my home area (North-East Scotland), and getting it out of my head for a week, than anything else. I hated the place, my job etc, and had booked ferry crossings to be this side of the water for the week.

I arrived in Cork mid september, on the sat after Sept 11th, by myself. I only knew two people in the city (having met them at a festival in Glasgow the previous month - just after i'd booked to come over) so was due to visit them over the weekend. My initial plans was to go to Cork for the weekend, then head up the country for a bit, then probably back to Cork for the next weekend, then home. However, this didn't happen as I fell for Cork. It had a great nightlife, friendly people, and just felt...... right! I made great friends instantly (many of whom are still very close friends) and figured that it would be a good idea to stay. On the tuesday (while drunk) I decided to quit my job of 1+1/2 years and stay. So I wrote out a postcard, quit in it, and posted it before I could change my mind. It was the best thing I ever did. It may have been tough at the start, esp as I had to live on a sofa for 2+1/2 months, but I loved it and have NEVER regretted the decision!

Now, almost 7 years later I still enjoy living here. The initial attraction may have lost it's edge now i'm no longer a teenager living the mad drunken life, but I like it. The city is big enough, yet small enough. It's friendly and feels like home. It is home.

Do what in your heart feels right. You want to move to Ireland? Then do! If things don't work out you can always go home, that option will always be there. I know if I ever needed to return my folks would welcome me back (even though I've not visited the area since 2004-very bad form!). As others mentioned, you will be regretting it and wondering 'what if...' if you don't.

As to where in the country? Well, that's up to you! Personally I enjoy living in Cork, and reckon the only other Irish city I could live in is Galway. Smaller but very friendly. Never really took to Limerick and I don't like even visiting Dublin as I find it very unfriendly and character-less. And I spent my first 19 years living in the countyside, so I won't be doing that again for a while! If you know of an area you're interested in maybe check out the regional section of boards and see what people there say?

Anyway, that's me, and you are (obviously) different. My gibberish meanderings are almost over.

Travel the country, see fit areas you like, and keep us informed as to how you're getting on if you do come over. You'll only end up regretting it if you don't give it a try!

Best of Luck!

Gibberish meanderings? Not at all. Thanks so much for offering your story. I must say I'm very heartened by the support I've received in here both on the board and via PM and nobody has been putting me off in the slightest which is what I half expected. I'm buoyed by both the optimism expressed and the pride that one takes in their country and what is has to offer.
    ....living the mad drunken life,
    Oh my god. Do people drink in Cork? I thought they were all into coffee :D

Granted I've been given a few recommendations for various places but being from a large country and me used to travelling long distances, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I settle although, interestingly enough, Galway and Cork do keep coming up. I'm into triathlons too so it would be good to be near a town that really gets into its sport. Still, what I plan to do is go over in the New Year, grab a van and go for a bit of a wander (I know, I know, it's winter but it's also quiet and easier to get around then) and nail a few things down in terms of planning.

Something's bound to turn up and when it does, I hope I'm intuitive as you to know it.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Gibberish meanderings? Not at all. Thanks so much for offering your story. I must say I'm very heartened by the support I've received in here both on the board and via PM and nobody has been putting me off in the slightest which is what I half expected. I'm buoyed by both the optimism expressed and the pride that one takes in their country and what is has to offer.

Oh my god. Do people drink in Cork? I thought they were all into coffee :D

Granted I've been given a few recommendations for various places but being from a large country and me used to travelling long distances, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where I settle although, interestingly enough, Galway and Cork do keep coming up. I'm into triathlons too so it would be good to be near a town that really gets into its sport. Still, what I plan to do is go over in the New Year, grab a van and go for a bit of a wander (I know, I know, it's winter but it's also quiet and easier to get around then) and nail a few things down in terms of planning.

Something's bound to turn up and when it does, I hope I'm intuitive as you to know it.

Thanks again.
    Very good idea to go around and take a look but the roads could be a bit slippy with frost and all that stuff, fuel is quite expensive here as well and I think you would be better with as small a vehicle as possible too! I know you say that long distances are no problem but there definitely is a difference in the highways in Aussie and the back roads here! Sign posts are a nightmare as well, so first thing to do is get a good road map.

What about the latest scare in Cobh and Cork with the hazardous waste that may be a health scare, not trying to put you off or anything but maybe some one from Cork could fill us in on that?

• Advertisement

Well fuel's expensive here too.
    At present, it's hovering around the $1.70 mark.
    And to think that it was half that last year ....*sigh*

Having been in the passenger's seat with my left footed cousin on the back roads of Kerry in torrential rain, I do look forward to improving my defensive driving techniques :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

Hi there beautybeanie,

I'm not sure has anyone mentioned this but do you know Ireland is in a recession at the moment. I don't want to sound like a depressing politician but we have had 15 years of very high employment but the bubble has well and truly burst....this is what we are listening to every time we turn on the news on tv or radio.

Also the weather here is a nightmare, its mid summer now and temp is around 17 deg C and wet. I bet your gold coast winter is nicer than this.

Like other people have said try an extended holiday and see what you think.

PS I work with a couple of Aussie lads who have been here for 2 and a half years and love it......I think they have drink problems.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

''I want to move to Ireland. Am I mad? ''
    YES . . yes you are mad . . you wouldnt put a duck out in this weather!!! it could be the 3rd Dec . not the 3rd July

Well fuel's expensive here too.
    At present, it's hovering around the $1.70 mark.
    And to think that it was half that last year ....*sigh*

Having been in the passenger's seat with my left footed cousin on the back roads of Kerry in torrential rain, I do look forward to improving my defensive driving techniques :D
    Yes it is high but here it is €1.34 for petrol and €1.45 for diesel, an absolute disaster - could be higher or lower depending on what part of Ireland you are in but is definitely even more expensive in Northern Ireland at about £1.25+++! I think the exchange rate at the moment is €1 to AUS$1.63 approx, so you can see what I mean!

The weather up in Donegal is sunny, warm and most important - dry today, yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The weather is changeable but that is what makes Ireland so appealing to others who have good weather all the year round which can get very boring! We can have four seasons in one day, there definitely is forty shades of green here at the moment and we have some really wonderful hill walks that would do your heart good!

Come over and take a look, do some investigations while here - I would suggest working for someone else to get a name for yourself and then if you are happy set up yourself and you will bring some of the clientele with you! As they would say nothing ventured nothing gained and now when you are young with very few commitments is the time to find out what you want to do with your life - life is great on THIS SIDE OF THE WORLD!

life is great on THIS SIDE OF THE WORLD!

I love this!

As for the weather, I'm used to all sorts. Right now it's 8 degrees, a mean sou'wester's chopping up the trees and next door's cat is lying by the little heater that gets a run every July and August :)

And right now I'd love a beer....:D

As for currency differences, standard of living is dollar for euro so our petrol prices are pretty much on par with each other.

MC, we're supposed to be on the brink of a recession too given that the interest rates have just risen and petrol is doing crazy things at the bowser but the media tends to panic when this happens. Still, you're right, a bit of a holiday first for a look around is a good idea.

All this talk of economics. What about the cultural side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Always amuses me how people who live in Oz for 1-2 yrs can say theyd live there 'in a heartbeat' over Ireland. .

So your assuming it was 1-2 yrs? I never said that. It was 5 years..

It was 5 years.

Overstayed our visa and got deported, did we? Heh heh.

All this talk of economics. What about the cultural side?

The cultural side is brilliant, mostly friendly, talkative and of course the drinking - if you like that kind of thing! The pubs stay open til all hours of the morning although I think this could be different in Dublin where they close up early for the nightclub scene!:D

I've a wedding today at 1pm so have to go now, getting windy here but no rain - think the rest of Ireland is getting heavy rain all last night and today but so far we have escaped it!:):)

We have become a multicultural society and in the main I think everyone does get on fairly well - drugs are a problem as well as crime and so on but think this is happening all over the world at the moment. At least that is what my brother-in-law and his wife says and they live outside Sydney. I also agree with you - going on holiday somewhere and living there are two very different things. My parents came back to Ireland after living abroad for 9 years (with us as children) and intended to emigrate to Australia/New Zealand/Canada after having a holiday here and stayed here - that was back in the mid 70's!;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Overstayed our visa and got deported, did we? Heh heh.

Steady there love :D

Nah, other reasons but wish I could of stayed:(....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 love_jude1

i couldnt help but notice your message whilst seaching fo rmy next job

i am currently a make up artist in ireland having studied at ACMUSE( australian collage of makeup and special effects)

i am irish but my boyfriend lives in sydney as he is ozy i came home for a holiday 2 yrs ago and have since been stuck here, as ther is just so much work happening in the film industry here in ireland, i have found film crews r coming here as it is cheap to film here, i currently live in northern ireland but work through out the country, i am also a beauty therapist so when i am not doing my make up jobs i am working from home doing odd beauty jobs, with this credit crunch being takin so serious here i have found that if ther is a bargin out there people have been taking it, so offering services at a lower rate really does help

the beauty industry in my eyes is massive here, and people love people from other countrys

which is unfortunate for me as my ideal location is ther, but from what i have gathered from searching for work, there is none there :(

need info on anyting just ask me

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kiera12

I think your absolutely mad for wanting to move here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Kiera12 wrote: »
    I think your absolutely mad for wanting to move here! :)

I said it before, I think on this thread. I loved my time in Ireland, like the pace, love the people.

Quality of life isn't always about just weather.

Advertisement