Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA compared to QCA - help me understand!

Options
  • 16-06-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

I came across a thread today explaining what GPA from UCD is needed for a 1:1 degree, a 2:1, a 2:2 and a pass. I know that QCA is a slightly different scale so was wondering does anyone know where I might find the QCA required to achieve a 2:1 degree (which I desperately need but doubt I will get!!!)

Thanks,
    dee8839 (on the way to 4th year, aagh!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

3.4 - 4.0 = 1st
    3.0 - 3.4 = 2:1

Not sure about the bands for anything below this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

First class honours 3.40
    Second class honours grade 1 (2.1) 3.00
    Second class honours grade 2 (2.2) 2.60
    Third class honours 2.00

"...the University examination board may consider a candidate whose final cumulative QCA is not more than 0.10 less than the QCA required for a first class, 2.1 or 2.2 classification and who satisfies the other requirements..."
    - taken from the Handbook of Academic Administration (available here, pp. 12 -13)

Generally, in humanities degrees, a First Class Honours degree is awarded with a cumulative QCA of 3.3 or over; in other Faculties it is more arbitrarily agreed upon, including, but not exclusively, interviewing the candidate who is in the discretionary band (3.3-3.4).

For other award classes, the above extract applies. Generally, if you are within 0.1 of a higher award you have a shot at being upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I knew it was in that handbook some where I just wasn't arsed looking earlier on.

Advertisement