Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Galway on a 125

• 16-06-2008 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im planning on going to Galway this weekend, there's a problem with my car, so I was gonna take the bike.

I have a Yamaha YBR125. Would my bike be OK for a journey like this? Any practical tips?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

First things first, have you got your full licence ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

For my car, not for my bike. Lets talk theoretical so...

For my car, not for my bike. Lets talk theoretical so...

Well theoretically its going to take you feckin ages because you can't drive on the motorways. And if you could it would still take feckin ages anyway.

Could you not just get the bus or train ?

Well a 125 is legal for motorways. It goes the same speed as trucks are supposed to go. Ive worked it out that it should take about 4 hours to th part of galway Im going. Its really a question of whether an air cooled engine would be OK at 7000 rpm for 2+2 hours with a break inbetween?

Well a 125 is legal for motorways. It goes the same speed as trucks are supposed to go. Ive worked it out that it should take about 4 hours to th part of galway Im going. Its really a question of whether an air cooled engine would be OK at 7000 rpm for 2+2 hours with a break inbetween?

Yes a 125 is legal for the motorways, but thats not the issue. If you don't have a full licence then you can't drive on the motorways.

Anyway back to the bike, what sort of machine is it ?? When does it redline ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Dont drive it that far man i drove from dublin to portlaoise on a 125 before and i said never again get the bus or train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

If your worried about overheating, don't be. Any bike I've had usually runs a lot cooler at a constant high speed, than they do stop/ starting in city traffic.
    I'd recommend bringing some engine oil(just in case) stop for a while half way and check. Also deffo bring chain lube, I find my chain is dry as a very dry thing after 100km flat out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It'll do it alright but at it's own pace. The real question is how you'll hold up. You will be sore and tired at the end of the trip and don't be tempted to keep going if you need a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I can't see it being a problem at all. I also can't see it taking you 4 hours either.....i've driven to galway and done it in 2 and a half hours on a few occasions in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

BrynW wrote: »
    I can't see it being a problem at all. I also can't see it taking you 4 hours either.....i've driven to galway and done it in 2 and a half hours on a few occasions in the car

There's a big difference between a 125cc bike an a car. Depending on the bike it probably maxes out at below 60, not to mention being uncomfortable, having to stop a few times for petrol, doing long runs like that on a small bike isn't good for the engine and the fact that the OP can't go on the motorway since he's on a provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I did it back in 2001 on a TZR 125, took about 2 and a half hours. Was ok tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did Dublin to Castleblayney once on a Honda 70.

Once.

Get the bus OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i used to do sligo - dublin twice each weekend on a dt125r
    its long but its grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KTRIC wrote: »
    First things first, have you got your full licence ?

Why use the motorway - it's as windy as hell, esp on a 125. Use old N road, less traffic, more shelter. Oh, and it has petrol stations too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why use the motorway - it's as windy as hell, esp on a 125. Use old N road, less traffic, more shelter. Oh, and it has petrol stations too.

Very true, and a lot more fun. Motorways are boring :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

+1 on avoiding the biggest roads.

As well as motorways being out on a provisional, and having trouble keeping up with the traffic, most of the new motorways / dual carriageways are very exposed to side winds, bad enough on a larger heavier bike but you could be blown all over the place on a 125. The NRA need to figure out the importance of planting shelter belts...

A few years ago I had a loan of a GN250 as my CBR600 was off the road, it weighs similar to a 125 and is not really any faster! I had to go from Dublin to Limerick and back on it, took the secondary roads (N52 and regional roads) and it was grand, was actually pleasant. I could stick to a speed the bike was happy with instead of trying to max it out, and only had to pull over once to let a truck past. I would actually do that trip again if I had to. It was loaded up with a tankbag and tent for a bike rally at the time too :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Go for it, it'll be an adventure if nothing else. Far too few adventures left in this country. Used to go al over the place on my 250 back in the day. Stay of the motorways and take it at the bikes pace and youll be happy out. Sence of satisfaction pullin into Galway on yer wee bike far outweighs gettin the bus or train.

Enjoy

It redlines at 9000 / 10000 I think. Its complete max is 12000. Id happily take the back roads, it's just that I know the way in my car by motorway.

I would much more enjoy the adventure on my bike.

If I were to get a train, Id have to dart to town, luas to heuston, train to galway and bus to tuam.

As far as fuel if concerned, my convinced that my bike runs on fresh air - the petrol is just there to give the engine a nice sound :P

I very up for it tbh, I have all the proper protective gear and I take nothing for granted.

I would take some oil, but she is usually fine for about 3000 km at least without a chance. Lubing the chain before I head would be a defo.

Any more tips or pointers? Im liking it so far:)

Agree with everyone else about taking the backroads, much more pleasant.
    Repeating myself, but bring a can of chain lube. I remember going on a 250 from Dublin to Donegal to Clare(via Galway), and back to Dublin. Ran out of lube on the last leg and had to choose between wd40 or engine oil.
    My biggest fear on long trips is punctures tbh. If your wheels are tubeless bring a plug kit. Not sure what you do if the're tubed-I could never get the tyres off my sr125 by hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Galway to Dublin on a stink wheel, I could see no problem, just make sure the 2 stroke is well topped up :eek:

• Advertisement

Pretty sure it's a 4 stroke. Replacement for the SR125, doesn't look quite so 1970's.

Pretty sure it's a 4 stroke. Replacement for the SR125, doesn't look quite so 1970's.
    Sorry my mistake it is a 4 stroker, I was confusing it with the RS125 which is a stinky wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Rather you than me OP!

Id agree with sticking to the backroads, aside from weather protection it might give your engine a break from a constant top speed. not all 125's could managed 2 hours at their top speed, full throttle without caving!

Bring oil and chain lube and a puncture repair kit. Check tyre pressure before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Try to attach the luggage to the pillion seat or tankbag. A rucksack is going to be painful after a few hours on the bike.

It's a Yahama YBR 125. Tough bike, has never let me down.

I have a back box, so I can put all I need in that.

I was checking today and it redlines at 10000rpm. It can do 80kph at 6500rpm and is quite happy there. 90kph happens about 7000rpm and it starts to vibrate here.

Are the national roads easy enough to navigate to galway? I was thinking that most of them pointing to galway would be trying to get you to go by the motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i cant remember where exactly the toll bridge is but its after the lucan bypass, there should be a turn for leixlip on the lucan bypass. then its on to maynooth and that will bring ya onto the old galway road.
    enjoy! i hope to do galway to dublin on my shadow 125 before the summers out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Firstly, there is no reason why you cannot do it on a 125. I went from Dublin to wexford on a honda 50 in the 1970s. If you take your time you can go around the world on a 125 which is why being a motorcyclist is such fun.
    If you stay off the motorway then you can go Enfield, Kinnegad, Miltownpass, Rochfordbridge, Tyrellpass, Kilbeggan, Horseleap, Moate, Athlone, Ballinasloe, Loughrea, Craughwell, Oranmore, Galway. All signposted.
    The Motorway actually ends at Kinegad although there is now a dual carraigeway from there to Kilbeggan. However I agreee you would be better sticking to the old road. At Kilbeggan, the old and new roads join anyway.
    Lubricate your chain the evening before you go, when the chain is hot. So long as you keep to a cruising speed ( 80-90kph)you should have absolutely no problem.
    I regularly do the journey, which is about 220 km, and really don't believe it can be done comfortably in much less than 2hrs 45min - 3hrs. If you allow four hours , including coffee stop, you won't go far wrong. Good luck and enjoy.

I did Dublin to Wexford two up on a Yamaha YB80 back in the mid 80ies no prob.

2006_pd982258_1.355131956_std.jpg

Thanks very much everyone for all the advice and encouragement!

Weather providing, Im gonna head down Saturday morning. If all goes to plan, Ill post here and let everyone know how it went:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you're comfortabe on the bike it should be no hassle at all.
    Just make sure everything is waterproof. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Good stuff, enjoy the spin

kowloon wrote: »
    If you're comfortable on the bike it should be no hassle at all.
    Just make sure everything is waterproof. :D
    Kowloon obviously has psychic powers.
    I hope the original poster got the bus, and isn't half way across the country in this wonderful Irish summer weather!

Had to leave it due to weather!!!!!

Will be going next sat weather providing:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Had to leave it due to weather!!!!!

Will be going next sat weather providing:mad:

Sensible choice dude. was wondering if you had went.

Advertisement