Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Bill 2008 Re: Opening Hours (merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

they could close the pubs clubs at 10pm and the problem would still be the same, talk about fire brigade stuff.

instead of actually tackling the root of the problem the Govt has decided to punish the masses for the actions of a few.

in small towns around the country why dont they have a few different types of licence, say 5 2am's 5 1 am's and the rest 12.30's for a saturday night.

The publicans/club owners can then bid on the licences to see who gets them. this will also give the chippers and taxis a chance to clear each crowd before the next batch hit the streets.
    also the increased revenue from the bidding will go towards services for the towns.

From Eugene Regan:

Not withstanding the Government's insistence on pushing through the Intoxicating Liquor Bill without amendment, in particular Fine Gael's amendment on nightclub permits, all may not be lost.

The fact is that the Government have been rattled by the strength of opposition by Fine Gael and other parties, both in the Dail and the Seanad.

Section 15 of the Bill as enacted provides -

"This Act shall come into operation on such day or days as the Minister may fix by order, either generally or with reference to any particular purpose or provision, and different days may be so fixed for different purposes and different provisions".

It follows that notwithstanding the adoption of the Bill, the Minister for Justice has a discretion as to when he brings into operation any particular provision of the Bill. Accordingly, he can choose not to introduce the provisions on closure at 2.30 a.m. (and 1.30 a.m Sunday night/ Monday morning) if adequate pressure is brought to bear in the coming weeks.

Accordingly, you may wish to consider directing your representations to the Minister on this very point.

It is not unreasonable that the provisions relating to the early closing would be suspended over the summer months until such time as his new Alcohol Bill is published later in the year.

keep pushing. Use their own words...

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~phier/FF.rtf

...to encourage them towards your way of seeing things, focus on FF and Dermot Ahern in particular. Suggest keeping premises open after alcohol has been electronically blocked through the cash register - detaching opening hours from serving hours. Google sequential closing reports from other countries, highlighting drinker habits such as how many pub crawl and how many just go out later.

Senator John Paul Phelan said:

"I have rarely, if ever, received a greater number of representations on any Bill during my time in the Oireachtas than was the case for this Bill. I am sure other Members are in the same boat."

There is another "Sale of Alcohol Bill" later in the year which is going to expand on this greatly. Ahern has said he wishes to address the need for a nightclub license, he just doesn't think they should open later than pubs. Opinions *have* been changed, we just need to open FF to the fact that the reduction in availability in regards to time won't reduce consumption, but the reduction in exposure to advertising concepts making a 6-pack purchase as everyday as buying a crate of eggs will. I wouldn't suggest giving up by a long shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

This is a disgrace.Strange that i didn't see anything about it in the news.

Kinda sneaky.

Why can't the dail have secret ballots. Yes it would be time consuming but it would also mean the whole process would be more democratic and **** like this wouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so phier from that quote from dermot you posted somewhere where he said the guards had asked for everthing to be closed at the one time, yet you said you talked to the guards and they didn't want this.

I didn't say i talked to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

does anyone know if that law got passed that means night clubs and the likes have to close early?

also is it true that "21" can stay open to 4a.m. in the morning? cos it has a late bar license... does the new law not directly affect the late bar license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

21 is shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

dreamr wrote: »
    does anyone know if that law got passed that means night clubs and the likes have to close early?

also is it true that "21" can stay open to 4a.m. in the morning? cos it has a late bar license... does the new law not directly affect the late bar license?

Didn't hear anything, Viper Room (Opens til 4am I think) hasn't been affected so far anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Steve_o wrote: »
    Didn't hear anything, Viper Room (Opens til 4am I think) hasn't been affected so far anyway!

Theatre license (seriously - bit between the main bar and the bit where you go downstairs? Take a left past the toilets and you'll see the 'theatre')

Also applies to the Gaiety bar.

So, how long till someone notices a sizeable discrepancy in the ole exchequer?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

spend extra long in the chipper!:D

They will probably end up closing earlier too with nobody out late why would they bother staying open? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

The Artist wrote: »
    As a bouncer that mean im going to lose at least 2 hours work god damn laws.
    I joke gone to far stupid goverment:mad:

And you know you wont be the only one. If things close up early there wont be any need for other businesses to stay open late e.g. chippers, fast food, chinese takeaways etc., and a whole lot of people are either going to be down a good few euros in their wages or worse still will be let go.
    This country is gone to the dogs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

As long as Zaytoon stays open late for my doner kebab meal! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

If we're going to let someone decide what's "for our own good" then i can think of few less suitable than that pack of lying,thieving,know-nothing,professional arse-lickers better as "politicians".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Ah i was expecting it to be much earlier... do most places not close at 2.30 anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Niamho! wrote: »
    Ah i was expecting it to be much earlier... do most places not close at 2.30 anyway?

depends on the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The Alcohol Bill 2008 is absolutely madness. Not only are they closing a loophole in the law, they are also closing nightclubs earlier and pumping up the price of licenses too. It doesn't stop at a three pronged attack. It also cripples the tourist industry, something the government can't afford to be doing in a time of economic downturn. Since the Bill came into effect, I have noticed my local nightclub, the Vico charging in. If pubs and nightclubs were allowed to stay open for as long as they want, they mightn't even feel the need to have admission fees.

Ideally, I should be able to go down for a pint or so in the local at 11 O'Clock on any night of the week. Then go into one of towns many nightclubs until the mid morning at which stage the DARTs would be up and running again. When I was in Santa Ponsa in Majorca, I never felt so free in all my life. I was there for two weeks and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was able to go from one nightclub to the other without being charged admission fees and I got pints of beer at the dirt cheap price of €2.50. Santa Ponsa is notorious for the abundance of Irish people visiting it's strip in peak season. I didn't hear of or see any public order offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Night clubs in spain open til 6:30 am and there's not much problem there.
    The last time I was in Cardiff it was the same.

24 hour pubs would probably be a bit too much for me but I'd still like to see them. I'd just fall asleep at some stage. 4.30 is about the right time imo.

Just a reply to the above post. Howl at the Moon have started charging in too. €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I don't know whether I'd be in favour of 24 hour pubs tbh. I'd just fall asleep at some stage. 4.30 is about the right time imo.
    You don't have to stay for the 24hrs :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    You don't have to stay for the 24hrs :confused:
    Well me personally. I couldn't leave a pub/club before last orders unless I was going back to a house party (or I ran out of money, fell asleep).

btw, I was getting served Cobra beer in an Indian restaraunt at 1.30 last Sunday morning. Could they have any special license to serve at that time or were they doing it illegally? It's not as if we'd been there from early, we only walked in at half 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

It is shocking
    the viper room is gone trivia is closed club m i heard are considiring shutting any other places gone since this stupid law has come in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

dont honestly get whats the problem?
    2:30am is late enough to be saying the truth. Don't see why people NEED to stay out until 5am to have a good time :???:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

2:30am is late enough to be saying the truth. Don't see why people NEED to stay out until 5am to have a good time :???:

But your name screams party animal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Its not the need its the choice.

Some people prefer not to be sent home but rather to go home/back to house party when they feel like it.

2:30am is when it is just getting started.

what if I want to go out at 2 o clock in the morning is it fair I only get 30 mins drinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    what if I want to go out at 2 o clock in the morning is it fair I only get 30 mins drinking ?

Agree completly. Also if pubs/clubs closed alot later it would stop people filling themselves full of as much drink as they can before closing. I admit it would prob be abused at first but in the long run i could work

In Tel Aviv its 24 hour drinking, the bars stagger opening times. theres no trouble at night they have proper policing, proper door staff, and guess what Toilets unlike this city where you cant go for a pee if you get caught short. then run the risk of a fine if you get caught in a laneway, come on its pure simpe cop on.

a 12 hour licence for a pub/nightclub they can open at set time and close at set time

off licences to be put back to 10am till 1130pm with take outs availabe from bars in sealable bags that if there opened the person has a fine of 500 euro no letting go no up to 500 euro thats the amount pay up.

Toilets in the streets yea security costs I would pay a euro each time just so I could go.

A more workable ID strategy for people up to say 23 and please mr cowan dont waste 2 million or so on a study group to tell you how to do it were broke as it is without stupid bodys to do studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    It is shocking
    the viper room is gone trivia is closed club m i heard are considiring shutting any other places gone since this stupid law has come in ?

Are you serious? I can't believe the Viper Room is closed. I never got the chance to go there. I don't know about Trivia though but judging by your shock I can deduce that it was a brilliant place to unwind. I was in Club M for the first time there just a few weeks ago. There were posters all over the walls conveying anger at the draconian bill with phrases such as "Blame the Politicians". I agree with the smoking ban as cigarette smoke is passive. However, the Alcohol Bill is going way too far and in the opposite direction to which it is supposed to be going. Although highly unlikely by the looks of it, I hope the next Minister for Justice, Law and Reform will have more common sense and reverse some if not all of this law.

• Advertisement

yep I kneew the owners the last sunday it was opened they bought me loads of drink for all my loyalty nice guys but they couldnt turn a profit
    Trivia wasnt really my cup of tea but it did for a few pints but its neither here nor there how many people lost thier jobs so far because of this ?
    even part timers there hours are cut back now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement