Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currently downloading Ubuntu 8.04

• 16-06-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

When it comes to installing is it simply a case of burning the .iso to cd and booting from the CDrom just like windows?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Sure, just burn it as an ISO (i.e. don't burn the ISO to disk as a single file). You might have to change the boot priority in your BIOS so that your machine boots of CD before hard drive, network, etc.

When you get to the partition stage, the installer will probably suggest to resize your Windows partition. That's fine if that's what you want. Be sure to give enough space to your Linux install. 20+ GB would be a good start. To speed up resizing your Windows partition, defrag the Windows partition from within Windows before running the installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Thanks Ethernet.

I'm throwing together a new machine with bits and pieces.
    I'll be installing on a newly formatted HDD.
    Any differences in the install?

Nope, this only makes the installation even easier. The partitioner will, more than likely, suggest to use the entire drive and suggest partitioning. Its suggestions should be just fine.

For future upgrades, it's best to have a separate /home partition where you store your files and where programs store your preferences and settings. If the installer's proposals don't include creating a separate partition for /home, then consider doing it.

You need at a root partition (denoted by /) and a swap partition (for paging) at a minimum if you decide to do the partitioning manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

There's a walkthrough guide here with the screens you'll see during the install:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

A bit off-topic here but this thread reminds me of a couple of things I love about Ubuntu/Linux. One is being able to burn an ISO without installing any extra software or application, right out of the box. The other is being able to see the contents of an ISO image just by right-clicking and extract or double clicking, that's kinda cool. Thats not as easy to do in Windows.

• Advertisement

Oracle wrote: »
    A bit off-topic here but this thread reminds me of a couple of things I love about Ubuntu/Linux. One is being able to burn an ISO without installing any extra software or application, right out of the box. The other is being able to see the contents of an ISO image just by right-clicking and extract or double clicking, that's kinda cool. Thats not as easy to do in Windows.
    +1. Burning ISOs made transparent (and bootable!) without any hassle to the user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Have to agree with the ISO burning bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

Hi I updated my ubuntu from gibon to heron there using the update manager in ubuntu and I was wondering is there an option in ubuntu to burn the required files to a cd to make another boot install disk for another computer or do I have to go DL the iso file?

Hi I updated my ubuntu from gibon to heron there using the update manager in ubuntu and I was wondering is there an option in ubuntu to burn the required files to a cd to make another boot install disk for another computer or do I have to go DL the iso file?
    Not that I know of. Essentially, that update upgraded every package that needed upgrading so the entire distro, as such, wasn't downloaded. If you want to save your bandwidth, you can get one sent to you for free. It takes a few weeks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Dagmar

As this is a tread about installing Ubuntu I'd add my recent experience of installing from Windows:
    It just involves downloading an installer called Wubi from here and it then takes care of everything:
    • You don't need to download and burn an ISO
    • No partitioning questions.
    • It sets up and configures Ubuntu on your Hardisk on a partition leaving windows and sets up a boot menu so you can choose between Windows and Ubuntu when you start up.
      Provision to remove Ubuntu from you hard disk and go back to where you were before.

I realise this is only relevant for people with a functioning windows computer who want to set up Ubuntu in this manner but if you do. I think it's GREAT.

It takes a couple of days for a moderately competent windows user to figure out how to run Linux commands in a terminal window and figure out how to install additional software, one day if you remember DOS days or have ever used a command prompt.

Maybe a week to realise what you have been missing and how the better security is a really good idea: Kids can't mess things up. Security for different users is a trivial matter to set up.

Extra bonus warm fuzzy feeling because I am no longer running pirated software. (Not that I ever did you understand :-))

I found installing a few Windows utilities I needed easy under WINE which is a windows emulator that runs windows programs.

My only unanswered is that I don't know if many PC games can be run under Ubuntu/WINE because I don't use any.

Migration tips: Get used to as many programs as you can that are multi platform. For me this included: Firefox, Web mail, Online documents like G'docs, Inkscape & Gimp for graphics. Then when you switch you will hardly notice I promise.....

Good Luck, Dave

You know: Open Sauce Make Scents - Don't keep the lid on it.

News from Nowhere - Random thought from an open mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Great post Dagmar, I especially agree with your migration tips. It's a great idea to install free software versions of email, office and web applications before switching to Linux. Then as you've said, you'll notice less difference when you switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Dagmar wrote: »
    My only unanswered is that I don't know if many PC games can be run under Ubuntu/WINE because I don't use any.

Migration tips: Get used to as many programs as you can that are multi platform. For me this included: Firefox, Web mail, Online documents like G'docs, Inkscape & Gimp for graphics. Then when you switch you will hardly notice I promise.....

Games do run. I play Steam games like the HL2 series etc under Wine. And WoW. Some newer ones don't run ... yet ... particularly DX10 ones.

And for migration - I was the same. Used to use Windows/Office/Photoshop/etc and migrated everything to os until the only non-free sofware (apart from games) was Windows. Then I took the plunge - totally. Built a new PC with Ubuntu as the only OS. And haven't looked back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I spent a while looking for the C: drive, gave up in the end.

I'll find it at some stage.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Dagmar

Made me laugh out loud. The first computer I bought; had no hard drive - tells you how old. I read the manual and cursed that the two drives were not labelled as to which was A: and which was B:!

I am getting a picture and I realise, in fact I think I already knew, there is no magic bullet. Computers are just big, complex, dumb tools and you have to learn how to use them intelligently. I do think Linux and the open source world helps us learn how to use them faster and more intelligently.

With regards viruses; I have learn from windows how to protect against them but Linux appears to be more secure if you look at the figures. Certainly the security levels and the way it is so trivial to set up users etc. is very reassuring.

In the few days I have been running Linux full time I have found several very good Linux graphics programs for my nine year old that are way better than anything I have found on Windows. I think that is down to the ethos of Open Source. (Darn if I know how the creators make money) The alternative are psudo educational free commercial games that are either product or TV channel advertising.

But the second issue is that these programs, like Inkscape , Gimp, Ubuntu are better because they are extensible and standards compliant, and I guess, crated with passion and enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Install the package AptOnCD, its included in Mint linux which is why i know about it. It lets you create an install disk with all the packages you have already downloaded using apt-get or aptitude. Basically you can carry your own repository with you wherever you go :D

Advertisement