Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Also driving a cage...

• 16-06-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Mods, please don't slap me!!! :D

I've been driving a bike with a full licence for several years now. I want to also purchase a car soon, purely because I need the ability to transport a lot of sports equipment on the weekends.

Now, here's something that bugs me. I now have to resit the driver theory test for the car even though it's identical to that for a bike (as far as I know). And of course, I'll be stuck with the higher insurance premium that goes with a provisional licence.

The actual driving test I can understand as cars have less visibility of their surroundings and there's reversing and parallel parking skills to test. But I don't think the full test needs to be redone.

As things are now:

1. Do theory test again.
    2. Apply for Car Licence to be added to current Bike licence.
    3. Get a 2nd insurance policy for the car at provisional licence rates.
    4. Resit the driving test, but in a car.

It should be:

1. Apply for Car Licence to be added to current Bike licence.
    2. Have current bike insurance policy updated to include driving a car, with nominal increase in premium, since risk increase in nominal.
    3. No need to be accompanied by an experienced fully licenced driver.
    4. Sit a stripped down version of the driving test that covers parallel parking, reversing and anything else unique to cars.

So, should your experience as a licenced biker give concessions when applying to drive other vehicle types?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Don't forget you can't drive on your own with a provo car licence, you need a passenger with a full car licence with you at all times.

AXA/AON used to give a discount on your bike policy if you had a car policy with them, it might work the other way around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I've been driving a bike with a full licence for several years now. I want to also purchase a car soon, purely because I need the ability to transport a lot of sports equipment on the weekends.

LOL. Wink wink, Nudge nudge. :D
    Now, here's something that bugs me. I now have to resit the driver theory test for the car even though it's identical to that for a bike (as far as I know). And of course, I'll be stuck with the higher insurance premium that goes with a provisional licence.

Sucks, doesn't it? If it's any consolation, I had to re-do the whole she-bang for my Irish prov. A license, even though I'd been driving 15+ years (on a full EU license). And I'm gonna have to re-do the whole she-bang for my British A license, since I'm moving before getting the chance to do the full Irish test. :(
    The actual driving test I can understand as cars have less visibility of their surroundings and there's reversing and parallel parking skills to test. But I don't think the full test needs to be redone.

Never take anything for granted (do a few mocks, you might surprise yourself!), I'm still learning to drive 17 years on, and I've barely started to learn riding after 2 years ;)

Anybody who says they "know how to drive" / "don't have anything new to learn"... I'd never want to travel with.
    As things are now:
    (etc.)
    It should be:
    (etc.)
    So, should your experience as a licenced biker give concessions when applying to drive other vehicle types?

Absolutely not. Sorry 'Rabbit, but the dynamics are entirely different. As you will no sure find out in good time, and best of luck/be safe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It never ceases to amaze me why people think that just because they passed a test in one category, it should give them more or less a free ride in another category.

There are different tests and different licence categories for a reason.

Also the bike theory test and the car theory test are no longer the same.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

ninja900 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me why people think that just because they passed a test in one category, it should give them more or less a free ride in another category.

Ah the good old days when you got a M licence when you passed your B test. That's how I got started :)

I now have to resit the driver theory test for the car even though it's identical to that for a bike (as far as I know).

Not anymore! They used to be the same but now they have a test with bike specific questions for A licence applicants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanks for the replies. Nice to see that there are different theory tests for different vehicle categories now. When I did the theory test for my bike, they asked questions about reversing tractors. My brother got a question on what gear to use when reversing (on a bike!)

Ambro, you'll be glad to know that I've never stopped learning. After 7 years, I'm still improving my driving skills. :) I'm down to less than 6 accidents per year now :p

Ninja900, I'm not looking for a free ride. You have to admit there is a big difference between someone who has never driven before and someone who has been driving a bike for 7 years on a full licence with professional training. I just think it's unecessary to jump through all the normal hoops just to drive another type of vehicle. Yes, there are different skills, but there are also a lot of common skills, and these common skills are basically the important ones about visibility & safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You have to admit there is a big difference between someone who has never driven before and someone who has been driving a bike for 7 years on a full licence with professional training. I just think it's unecessary to jump through all the normal hoops just to drive another type of vehicle. Yes, there are different skills, but there are also a lot of common skills, and these common skills are basically the important ones about visibility & safety.

I don't agree. I've been driving cars for 14 years and bikes for 13, does that mean I'm halfway to being a truck or bus driver?

At least cars, buses and trucks have similar controls and don't fall over when stopped. Bikes use totally different controls and control skills than other vehicles.

You have the advantage of knowing the Rules of the Road and having more confidence than a total n00b, but that's about it, imho, as someone who's been there and done that.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

ninja900 wrote: »
    I don't agree. I've been driving cars for 14 years and bikes for 13, does that mean I'm halfway to being a truck or bus driver?

At least cars, buses and trucks have similar controls and don't fall over when stopped. Bikes use totally different controls and control skills than other vehicles.

You have the advantage of knowing the Rules of the Road and having more confidence than a total n00b, but that's about it, imho, as someone who's been there and done that.

Fair enough.

Advertisement