Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 days to summer solstice! How will you spend yours?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Well this year the solstice falls on a Saturday so I'm going to have an all night party some where nice and dark with good views to the north (NNE) to witness the sun rise and i suppose I'll be there quite early and I'll have witnessed the preceding sun set..

It just seems to me that people are so involved in sh1t like Christmas and Ramadan that they don't take the time to celebrate the passage of the seasons. Lets face it, if the population was more inclined to celebrate the passage of time and the changes in the seasons they probably would be more in-tune with mother nature to a large degree and hence all would think a bit deeper about their own impact albeit small as it might seem.

We as humans are being corralled into a consumer based society and its hard to ignore pester power from children and other family members. People only want what they know exists... Lets make a difference and share they knowledge of the summer solstice this year with a few friends and take full advantage of it falling on the wk-end.

PS Does any body know the exact date and GMT time at which it truly occurs this year. I have heard of it being out as far as the 23 and as early as the 19!! Any body know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

solstice festival on in the beautiful gap of dunloe in kerry. bands such as kila, fred and ten past seven. Should be great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

PS Does any body know the exact date and GMT time at which it truly occurs this year. I have heard of it being out as far as the 23 and as early as the 19!! Any body know
    June 21st at 12:01am GMT, add aprox 40min to that for east coast Irish locations and 50 for west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Eh, all you druids, this is the astronomy forum not the astrology forum :D The only good thing about the shortest night of the year is that the day after the nights start getting longer again!!. Another month or two and we'll even have some real darkness again rather than perpetual twilight.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Calibos wrote: »
    Eh, all you druids, this is the astronomy forum not the astrology forum :D The only good thing about the shortest night of the year is that the day after the nights start getting longer again!!. Another month or two and we'll even have some real darkness again rather than perpetual twilight.:D

Not a druid. Know this is astronomy. Agree that the best thing is that the pesky persistence of dawn is gonna piss of and give me dark sky's to watch again! Yippie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

scorplett wrote: »
    June 21st at 12:01am GMT, add aprox 40min to that for east coast Irish locations and 50 for west coast.

Its actually 26mins extra for Dublin (i have given away my longitude:eek:) and 42 mins for Achill Island Co Mayo

AFAIK this type of celestial event is astronomy at it simplest. It was the ability to understand the celestial significants of these events that has given us the ability to send space craft to the outer most reaches of the solar system.

And i too look forward to my names-sakes reappearance in the dawn sky. But I make a point of enjoying the whole year, life is too short to crave dark skys all the time:rolleyes:

Orion!!........thehunter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Are you ready?

Advertisement