Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub

Options
  • 16-06-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not.

I was in a pub in Dublin (no name mentioned), a friend and myself opened a chess board last week and we were told to put it away by the bar person on duty as he said the manager wouldn't allows us to play it, so we asked the manager, and he said it was ok. We were buying pints in the pub and we weren't playing for money or there wasn't a knife on the table but today the owner came in to check the pub around, saw us playing chess and stared at me awkwardly. He said it to the main person on duty and he came over to say that the owner doesn't prohibit card games or board games on the premises. Why couldn't the owner himself come over and say it to us.

Can you please tell me what you think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I think you should change pub :D

Just before I moved up to dublin ... I was in a pub in Galway playing chess the barman was playing a guy at the bar there were also another 2 or 3 sets up on a shelf.

I'd say you should move pub and recommend all your friends do the same ? That said ... depending if its a fairly busy pub ... then I could understand why they wouldn't want it happening. Someone knocks the set over and 2 people will be very pissed off

sounds like boredom mixed with him being a prick tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

The Ivy House in Drumcondra has board games behind the bar (Connect4, Guess Who, Snakes & Ladders, etc) that you can take and play at your leisure! Been in there on a busy night and seen people playing and the bar staff dont blink an eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Vote with your feet. Their loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you want to play chess in a Dublin pub I'd recommend you go to Darkey Kellys on Fishamble St, they'll even provide you with a board from behind the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

stovelid wrote: »

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

sound like muppets. Play somewhere else as others day. d4 FTW! (and only way I'd ever say d4)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭gucci

Totally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

He was dead right - Playing chess in a pub is a pretty wankery thing to do

It's a pub for god's sake, not the TCD student union

Play it at home - why do you need to do it in a pub?

IanCurtis wrote: »
    He was dead right - Playing chess in a pub is a pretty wankery thing to do

Exactly .. my god .. heavens forbid someone going there to enjoy a night with a pint and a game of chess while others might look on and enjoy their pint as well and have a bit of a conversation.

People should should be throwing back pints not using the pub as a social venue for getting out meeting friends and relaxing ... disgraceful really :D

• Advertisement

forbairt wrote: »
    Exactly .. my god .. heavens forbid someone going there to enjoy a night with a pint and a game of chess while others might look on and enjoy their pint as well and have a bit of a conversation.

People should should be throwing back pints not using the pub as a social venue for getting out meeting friends and relaxing ... disgraceful really :D

Well if I was sitting beside two people playing chess and having a bit of crack, I would feel that I was disturbing them slightly. Others may feel the same and that's probably why it was not allowed.

Also, you're not gonna be drinking at a good pace playing chess.

If it was a weekday maybe, but definitely not at the weekend.

Well if I was sitting beside two people playing chess and having a bit of crack, I would feel that I was disturbing them slightly. Others may feel the same and that's probably why it was not allowed.

If it was a weekday maybe, but definitely not at the weekend.

Each to their own.

If they aren't taking up more room than they would normally, what of it? When I'm out, I enjoy myself; I don't spend my time looking at what other people are doing.

Speak for yourself :D The polish guy I was playing before was knocking them back as was I at the time ...

My wife on Saturday night had 1 drink while out for 3 or 4 hours hmm...
    (god bless the french and their sensible attitude to drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Chess and pubs go together really well. Nothing beats a couple of pints and a few games. Of course it's a certain sort of pub (ie - a good one!) that it fits in with.

Grogan's in Dublin have sets that they let you use. There's nothing wankery about it at all and if anyone thinks there is then they can **** off somewhere else.

I'll bring me full Subbuteo, Hungry Hippos and Operation in and see what happens.

It's a pub not Chess-ington Palace.

I'll bring me full Subbuteo, Hungry Hippos and Operation in and see what happens.

It's a pub not Chess-ington Palace.

Don't be silly they aren't on the list :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

But do tell them why you're not going back by way of letter/e-mail.

They don't want saddos in their pub, accept it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I dont see what the problem was.

You were paying customers , not bothering anybody , their loss.

A group of auld lads in my local play dominos all the time and another group beside them play chess , never disturb anybody even if the place is jammed for a big football match.
    The looser of the previous game has to wear a beer mat on their head for the next game , always raises a smile from people who dont know them.
    Totally harmless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Whilst i agree playing chess in the pub is a bit of a wankery thing to do i also feel that there's too many **** WORKING in pubs.What pub was it out of interest?

• Advertisement

Quit trolling dude. He asked for our opinions, not a tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm very glad I don't drink in the same pubs as you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement