Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting your county

Options
  • 16-06-2008 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭

Is it me, or are we really crap at supporting our county and people from here? I mean with the hurling team, the support really comes out when the team are in an All Ireland, even then, a lot can't be bothered making the journey to Croke park. I've been to many hurling matches from the league to championship games where Kilkenny support has been very poor.

And closer to home, what really made me think of this was a member of my family participated in an event recently representing the county and how little support in general she received. When talking to other participants at this event, they all received press coverage in local media and support from local businesses and the public in general. Is it a Kilkenny thing? Or the lack of media coverage leads to lack of knowledge about our local achievers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sadly i think it's a case of too much of a good thing. Kilkenny are enariably htere or there abouts every year for the all Ireland and have been for the past 10 years or so...a few years (all ireland) famine would definitely re ignite peoples interest and pride in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

mfitzy wrote: »
    Sadly i think it's a case of too much of a good thing. Kilkenny are enariably htere or there abouts every year for the all Ireland and have been for the past 10 years or so...a few years (all ireland) famine would definitely re ignite peoples interest and pride in the county.

That's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nightwish wrote:
    even then, a lot can't be bothered making the journey to Croke park

Tickets seem to be impossible to get unless you're in a GAA club yourself or you know someone with a bit of influence. Might have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

From a GAA perspective, it's def a case of too much of a good thing.

A lot of people didn't travel to the game last Sunday in Portlaoise, as they pretty much knew it was a done deal that Kilkenny would win. Add to that the fact it's on the TV, and the numbers go down again.

The population of Kilkenny is fairly small too (87,558)...so the number of travelling fans is going to be smaller than that of the bigger counties like Cork, Limerick, Galway.

You could almost fit the entire population of Kilkenny into Croke Park (capacity approx 82,500)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

OP why don't you let us all know when your cousin is participating in an event next. Maybe you should play a good luck request for her on KCLR. Could it be possible that the media don't know that she is competing for / representing Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

trishw78 wrote: »
    OP why don't you let us all know when your cousin is participating in an event next. Maybe you should play a good luck request for her on KCLR. Could it be possible that the media don't know that she is competing for / representing Kilkenny?

It was my sister, and she was mentioned on KCLR - she got a 3 minute interview about a month ago. The media did know about her but there wasnt any coverage recently.

What made me think of this though was when the other participants from other counties spoke of people offering sponsorship, and local politicians/dignatories etc giving support and the business communities made posters etc. I was wondering why is KK doesnt do this? Not even for my sister but in the previous example I gave, the town looks pitiful on All Ireland Weekend, whereas last year Limerick city centre was a sea of green and white. Is it apathy at success at our part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well, because Kilkenny's in the All-Ireland final every other year, I don't think a lot of people bother going to support the team. It's almost taken for granted that the team's there or thereabouts every year.

On the other issue, you'd be surprised how hard it is to get the local media interested. A friend of mine held an event which raised a few thousand Euros for St Luke's Hospital in Dublin. Despite this, he couldn't get any of the local papers to cover it or even send out a photographer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

unfortunately that's Kilkenny's attitude, If your not a hurler your not worthy of attention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

A - I dont care about sport.
    B - In KK, there's little else to be proud of.

+1 raze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

...And its not like i enjoy reading KK newpapers ( at least i Try to spell correctly) or listening to KCLR( not to my taste at all)
    Why not post it here? I mightn't attend said event but its interesting to know whats going on!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

sooooooooooo..how many of ye GAA fans were in Freshford yest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

A - I dont care about sport.
    B - In KK, there's little else to be proud of.

+1 raze.
    Thats my thoughts aswell;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

Iv been to every All Ireland since 2000 and your right kilkenny fans where out numbered three to one last year the fact of the matter is kilkenny are to lazy to travel up.

The feeling you get when you walk onto hill 16 is epic its like christmas and your birthday the sight of croke park full up with flags and the noise is unreal and when they score the place lifts it makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

I brought my friend to an all ireland two years ago against limerick and right after it he said he would go to the next one we where even on telly all my friends on hill 16

Its a shame not more people go to croke park id say more people show up for the home comming and thats only because they want to drink and to look like they care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

To be fair, there was a great turn out for the last All Ireland against Waterford.

I've never seen so much black & amber in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Supra lover 87

still out numbered 3 to 1 and we are the all ireland champions 2 times before that match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Even besides the GAA I have been part of many an event in Freshford and in recent years, the National Conker Championships...yes folks you heard, the National Conker Championships. Most of the people who attend, usually about 2/300 each year are from outside the village and county. There are people who live 5 minutes walk away who wouldn't support their own community.
    Only about 5 people organise the flippin thing, put major work into it, make it a brilliant day out and then no one from the village bothers coming...
    I'm not sure if its just a kilkenny thing though...I'm sure it happens everywhere.

P.S. National conker championships, Freshford Co. Kilkenny October Bank Holiday every year! Great Crack :D

Advertisement