Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist Botched Root Canal

Options
  • 16-06-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi i got a root canal on a tooth which was pricey for me seen as im in college. The dentist gave me the root canal and 9 months later the filling fell out and caused an infection in the tooth with the root canal. Today the dentist has pulled out the tooth free of charge which i can only presume admits some level of guilt. I am just wondering should i look for the money back, or even an implant to replace the tooth.. Please let me know what you think and tell me if I am being a complete %%%% over this. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mactr3 wrote: »
    Hi i got a root canal on a tooth which was pricey for me seen as im in college. The dentist gave me the root canal and 9 months later the filling fell out and caused an infection in the tooth with the root canal. Today the dentist has pulled out the tooth free of charge which i can only presume admits some level of guilt. I am just wondering should i look for the money back, or even an implant to replace the tooth.. Please let me know what you think and tell me if I am being a complete %%%% over this. Thanks.

TBH dude, I would encourage you to seek legal advice as a medical practicioner has allegedly botched a job and hurt you. This is a bit beyond a broken kettle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd put this in the dentistry forum.

I've had plenty of fillings that had new decay form underneath. You can only expect a dentist to do his best, I'm sure it's very hard to drill out every molecule of decay, especially with a root canal.

I'm not sure you'd have much success going down the legal route with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mactr3

Do you think so, im very young still and to be honest i miss the tooth and feel this could have been avoided as the filing fell out and the tooth split. I know there are a few dentists on these forums, id love to know where i stand as i wouldnt like to throw solicitors letters around the place like the americans do..

Thanks for the reply

I'd put this in the dentistry forum.

I've had plenty of fillings that had new decay form underneath. You can only expect a dentist to do his best, I'm sure it's very hard to drill out every molecule of decay, especially with a root canal.

I'm not sure you'd have much success going down the legal route with this one.

Yes but to have that kind of expensive procedure done and then nine months later to lose the tooth, that was a lot of money for me as im still a student. I just feel i spent money on nothing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mactr3 wrote: »
    Do you think so, im very young still and to be honest i miss the tooth and feel this could have been avoided as the filing fell out and the tooth split. I know there are a few dentists on these forums, id love to know where i stand as i wouldnt like to throw solicitors letters around the place like the americans do..

Thanks for the reply

There is a dental issues sub forum of the biology forum, perhaps you should ask a mod to move this there as there'd be more chance of someone qualified seeing it. If your TV ever breaks though, I'd be happy to help :)

• Advertisement

Haha thanks, im ok with electronics but not with chewing apparantly now.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

i had this happen a few years ago and at the time from what i could see there was nothing i could do. basically the dentisit could have pulled the tooth in the first place but like you i was young and i didnt want to be missing teeth, so the dentist did a root canal. and tbh the root canal has fallen out a few times over the years and he has had to do a few patch jobs. it has got to the point where the root canal i got nearly 10 years ago that cost me about €300, has cost me about another €1k since then for all the patch work. by doing the root canal he is saving you from losing the tooth altogether, but there is no guarantee how long it wil last. if you get a filling or root canal done and it falls out they will usually fix it up for free, but that sint an admission of guilt ont heir part. i would actualy have thought it was as well but i since found out it isnt.

so i dont know if there is anything you can do unfortunetly. no harm in looking into it though.

Advertisement