Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building, is it difficult?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im just wondering as a person with zero experience building is it wise to give it a go? I've been looking around at various pre-builds but seems some are priced quite high and i have read on some forums, reports of shoddy workmanship on systems from reputable companies.I don't want to spend money on something that may have just been thrown together :(
    All i have ever done is install extra RAM but i have been reading a bit around and i understand things a little better.
    Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

padi89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im just wondering as a person with zero experience building is it wise to give it a go? I've been looking around at various pre-builds but seems some are priced quite high and i have read on some forums, reports of shoddy workmanship on systems from reputable companies.I don't want to spend money on something that may have just been thrown together :(
    All i have ever done is install extra RAM but i have been reading a bit around and i understand things a little better.
    Cheers in advance.

If you've successfully installed RAM, then the rest is just a variant upon the theme of that. Proper research of compatibility of parts before is crucial though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Thanks for the reply.Im looking to build something quite for music and photo editing.I was looking at basing it on a Scan System i saw
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=671
    My budget is around 1000 euro give or take inc OS, il probably buy from Komplett or Elara

Case: Antec P182
    PSU : Don't really know but something quiet
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
    Motherboard: Don't have a clue
    RAM: 4G Required
    Hard Drives: 2 x Samsung 500g F1
    Graphics Card: Don't game,but a lash of BF2 every now and then would be nice
    Optical:Samsung Lightscribe
    OS Vista Home Premium 64bit

Do the stock fans and psu cooling need to be replaced if i am looking for a quite machine?
    Ta again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thanks for the reply.Im looking to build something quite for music and photo editing.I was looking at basing it on a Scan System i saw
    http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ShowSystem.asp?SystemID=671
    My budget is around 1000 euro give or take inc OS, il probably buy from Komplett or Elara

Case: Antec P182
    PSU : Don't really know but something quiet
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
    Motherboard: Don't have a clue
    RAM: 4G Required
    Hard Drives: 2 x Samsung 500g F1
    Graphics Card: Don't game,but a lash of BF2 every now and then would be nice
    Optical:Samsung Lightscribe
    OS Vista Home Premium 64bit

Do the stock fans and psu cooling need to be replaced if i am looking for a quite machine?
    Ta again.

Unless it's under full load, the fans should spin slowly enough to be pretty much silent.

For a motherboard you'll need a socket 775, and either DDR2 or DDR3 depending on the choice of motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi,
    Cheers in advance.
    If you have the interest and the drive to build and do the research, you will be fine.
    You have a budget and you have an idea of what you want which is a great start.
    Now sit down, research your parts and read up on articles/books on how to build a pc and how to troubleshoot.

Tbh slapping the parts together is the easy part, getting everything to work after that is the hard part :-)

Depends on the quality of the fans/PSU, which you find out by
    research/reading many many reviews.....

The quality of the case, the case fans, the cooler on your CPU, the cooler on your graphics card have the biggest effect on noise.
    The P182 is a good case with good sound reduction features, great airflow and dacent enough case fans, it's a really good choice.
    If you find the case fans loud, replace them with scythe flex fans, best fans I have found so far. worth the €20 odd each.
    For the psu look at seasonic/corsair PSUs, very safe bets: they are quality and extremely quiet.

Do not skimp on:
    Case
    PSU
    RAM
    Motherboard
    (these are the core parts)

After that the parts can be selected to suit your budget and can be changed over time.
    Take your time, do the research(this is the most important step!) and you should be fine.Be prepared to change you parts list as prices fall and new tech comes out as you research.
    Also allow for the fact that you might get a boogey part and have to return it. Not likely but it happens.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hi,
    Cheers in advance.

Have a look at these videos padi89, it will give you a good idea as to what's involved.

Part 1/5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJNp6wdfqI

Part 2/5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYVBGTDkUU0

Part 3/5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLkge08RFi4

Part 4/5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U2fhpn4S2k

Part 5/5
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBw8wxgdxFo

Installing The XP Operating System (OS)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf2Ffm33DhA

Installing The Vista Operating System (OS)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKzsGZw9xbk&feature=related

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 stevie78

Hi,
    Cheers in advance.

about 1 year ago i thought the very same as yourself, always bringing my pc to others to get bugs ironed out , upgrades etc . then one day the best and worst thing happened. bought a new e6700 at that time they cost around 360 to buy , brought this to a friend to fit for me , collected it the next day. now he forgot to mention that he had overclocked the chip to its max on the stock fan and first time i played crysis the machine stopped working nobody would tell me what happened for ages they said i had done something to fry the chip but i was affraid to even open the case top look at it .

yeserday i finnished building my new rig and have never asked for any help since the fried processor just got the parts i needed locked the door and started reading all those little books they put in the boxes.
    so i think you should give it a shot , you cant really do any harm if you follow the instructions you get with your parts and if you run into problems you can always post here bec most of the guys here dont mind helping out .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

yup as long as u take ur time and are confident and know what ur doing. Building a pc is really enjoyable and u get a great sence of sense of satisfaction once its complete and working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

:eek:Building a rig from scratch is feeking ridiculously hard! Theres no way youl manage without at least a few months training!:eek: ….end of sarcasm:pac:

Basically if you’ve had lego as a kid or have ever taken a screwdriver to anything electrical, you cant go wrong.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

Unless he ate the Lego blocks and a live socket was what he was tackling with that screwdriver. :)

u will be fine and there will be loads of on these forums to. important thing is not to rush into it. read loads of forums for advice, and don't panic if it does not start first time, i forgot to turn on the switch on the back of the psu the first time, thought i done something completely f***ed up figured it out like a half an hour later :rolleyes: have been building my own since.

Advertisement