Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary school teaching courses

• 16-06-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

is there anyway of getting into a primary school teaching course with an ordinary degree? im in my second year in college in a course that i hate because i didnt get enough points in the leaving cert and i dont really want to stay any longer than 3rd year in this course!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Possibly the UK route, I don't know. You'd have to look into it, but not in Ireland.

To do a post grad in education you MUST have:
    • A primary degree (National Framework of Qualifications Level 8) (This is Honours)
    • Minimum grade C (higher level) in Leaving Cert Irish
    • Minimum grade D (ordinary or higher level) in Leaving Cert Mathematics
    • Minimum grade C (ordinary level) or grade D (higher level) in Leaving Cert English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 FJH

I believe one or two in Scotland do take ord. degrees. Not 100% sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m1988

thanks for the comments. im also thinkin about repeating the leaving cert and getting my points up aswell as getting my honour in higher irish.

What age are you, you might qualify as a mature student and get in to the Mary I 3 year degree in primary ed that way?

Also if you're any way serious about doing primary, Id advise you do the Irish NEXT June. Its the last year of that course, probably gonna be quite predictable (poetry, prose etc)

also the following year 40% accounts for the oral compared to 25% this year.

im 19, another four years to wait!

• Advertisement

What course are you doing.

I did a course I hated, just finished (just so I could get the degree to do the post-grad dip in teaching).

Maybe you should stick with it, it'll certainly give you more options (here and in the UK)

fine art. i hate it. i just went with it because i was good at art and i didnt know what else i wanted to do! i enjoyed first year but this year; i hated it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

FJH wrote:
    Also if you're any way serious about doing primary, Id advise you do the Irish NEXT June. Its the last year of that course, probably gonna be quite predictable (poetry, prose etc)

also the following year 40% accounts for the oral compared to 25% this year.

I second this!!!!

I'm just after sitting my Irish LC, 11 years after the 1st time, & tbh it's not all that bad.

What FJH has said above is correct. For the higher poems, there are only 2 left that have never come up, so you can be sure atleast one of these will come up next yr, whereas the following year there'll be 8 brand new ones & nobody will be able to predict what's coming up.
    Same for Pros & ordinary poems.
    Also, with the oral going up to 40% there's no doubt what you're required to do will be a lot tougher.

I've a friend who is thinking of repeating in the next few years. I've forced them to do it this year because of the above points & I'd really advise you to do the same.

yeah if im going to repeat its going to be this year! its the same poems and stories i studied two years ago so at least they wont be too hard to go back over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Muffin Head

I am 19 aswell, I did the leaving last year but I was 30 points off teaching....I would never have thought of repeating especially as I had done TY and that. But, I changed school and repeated this year and its the best decision I have ever made. If you know teaching is definitely what you want I would fully recommend you to do it, its a year out of the rest of your life, it is hard but so worth it!!!It will pay off though....best of luck if you do choose to go back.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

FJH wrote: »
    I believe one or two in Scotland do take ord. degrees. Not 100% sure though.

Most in Scotland require an honours degree, but I think one or two do let you in with a 3 year degree.
    You'd be going up against people with an honours degree, but if its def the career for you, you should be able to overcome that issue and give a good interview.

Advertisement