Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Teachers Exempt from jurys?

• 16-06-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Is just true that Primary School Teachers aren't allowed serve on jurys, on grounds that they would treat the accused like children? (if someone killed a man, they would put it down to him staying up late).

Don't know if it's true, but someone told me.
    I would appreciate if it is true you could link me to where it could be proven as I've bet someone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I have heard that teachers are exempt but I'm sure that's not the reason why!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I think you have to have taught Infants for a certain amount of time - I have 5 years in my head but not sure, it could be longer. I think the wording is something along the lines of a teacher "accepts abnormal behaviour as normal" given how we hang out with 4/5 year olds all day. I'm not surprised at all. Also, afaik, if you were teaching Infants and called to jury duty you could ask your principal to write a letter along the lines of the children would be badly affected by teacher's absence / break in routine etc. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭deisemum

One of my friends was on a BOM and she once told me that if a teacher teaches Junior or Senior Infants for more than 3 years (think she said 3) that they're not considered suitable for jury service. Maybe that's why teachers of Junior and Senior Infants swap to older classes every 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

cool, thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭deisemum

Think it's to do with the legal profession not seeing teachers who teach junior and senior infants long term as not being sufficiently compus mentis for jury service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

real reason is somewhat less of an urban myth:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/Courtroom/eligibility_and_selection

you have to make the argument to be excused.

funny enough, the jury in the Coronors Court in Dublin is frequently made up of Civil Servants, those who apparently have jobs which cannot be "performed by another person or postponed"

deisiemum... please tell me you were taking the mick....... please.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

No, I dont think this is true. My Dad is a Primary school teacher ans has taught infants and has been called twice. It is ridiculous anyway that the reason for them not being able to do it is because they might treat the offenders like children is ridiculous. Teachers aren't idiots, they can tell the difference between a mutliple-rapist and a kid who pulled another kids hair. Just because a teacher is dealing wiht small children all day long doesn't mean their judgement is impaired. You could make the same argument for a Psychiatrist, or a Psychologist who are dealing with people with seriosu mental illnesses all day long. Or what about Montessori and Creche workers? Or people working in childrens hospitals? the list goes on and on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 corkonian1

I know this is going slightly off topic, but have you noticed how often you hear of people who are trying to find excuses to avoid serving on a jury? This is something that mystifies me. I would do it, no question. It would be an interesting experience. That is aside altogether from the fact that it is our duty as citizens to serve if called. Our legal system respects the jury system and rarely overturns a jury's decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

well im a childcare worker and have been for 14 years and i was called for jury duty, i had to excuse myself as it was for the first day of term in my new job as creche manager, was so annoyed as i would of loved to serve my civic duty (i.e. im a nosey bugger!)

Advertisement