Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing away books, notes etc.

Options
  • 16-06-2008 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

So I'm going through old notebooks & the like to dump 'em, when I just copped that my name is scribbled on or in pretty much everything a good few times. I always hear people banging on about how you should never throw away anything with your full name & that on it, but it's a real pain in the ass to have to go through 20+ refill pads looking for pages with names or phone numbers to shred.
    Should I be wild & scribble my name off the front & just hope for the best? I don't have a nice bank account worth hacking into :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I don't think much could be done with just your name tbh. You should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I think it applies more to your address rather than your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Speaking from experience people, hold on to them all until you at least get your results and possibly until you get the college place you were after.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

kippy wrote: »
    Speaking from experience people, hold on to them all until you at least get your results and possibly until you get the college place you were after.
    Kippy

Yeah I was gonna do that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

And when you do throw them out don't look at them in case you see something that you got wrong in the exams. That would suck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Kippy
    That's what I'm doing, am too nervous bout my results to throw them away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

unless you write your bank details and credit card numbers on the inside of all your books, i doubt you have much to worry about. why don't you bring them to a 2nd hand book shop and keep the money. thats what i'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In my experience its handy to keep any of them from subjects that might be ralated to any college course you are looking at.

My history notes have proved very very handy on a couple of occasions as they lay out the basics of the subject and it;s easy to build from there.

After filtering them out a big bonfire is the best option, great satisfaction watching my science notes go up. No blue flame was noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Peleus wrote: »
    unless you write your bank details and credit card numbers on the inside of all your books, i doubt you have much to worry about.

Sh*t.. I'm gonna have to shred them all now.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

Cheers everyone. I'm only getting rid of notes, books're going to a fifth year since I'm mother Theresa.
    I'm keeping Biology, but nothing else really relates to college for me. Glanced at Geography notes and turns out I just lost 20 marks :P
    Oh summer clear out, thou art a cruel bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ah, the post-Leaving Cert ceremonial destruction of books, burning of notes and cutting up uniforms, I remember it well! :)

Except I didn't destroy my books, I had to return them to the school.
    And I didn't burn my notes, I recycled them.
    And I didn't cut up my uniform, just washed it and threw it back in the press..............Good God, I'm boring!

Anyways OP - if your address or any other personal information is on those notes, don't just throw them out. Burn or shred them to be safe.
    Otherwise, dump away!! (But remember to always recycle ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

My Notes shall be burned in a hole on the beach :) with a load of mates notes as well. Twill be great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rachelmcg1989

i cant bare to throw them away just yet

i still have my junior cert books up in my wardrobe....yeah i should probably throw them out soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

i still have my junior cert books up in my wardrobe....yeah i should probably throw them out soon...

Ditto, but I did fairly well in the JC, whereas I wanna put this one behind sharpish :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Kippy

Yeah, I totally agree with that, happened to my friend that she had thrown out all her notes & got far less points than she expected, luckily for her I had all of my notes still but I'd wait for August!!

bigkev49 wrote: »
    In my experience its handy to keep any of them from subjects that might be ralated to any college course you are looking at.

I agree, my biology notes have been very handy for me in college

i cant bare to throw them away just yet

If you feel that way, do what I did. I came across http://www.zulunotes.com, a boardsie on here started it because of that very reason that he felt he had put a lot of effort into his notes so why throw them out, why not make use of them.

I'm now in my 3rd year of college and in my spare time when I want to feel like i'm doing something other than just lazing around, I've been typing up my notes. For me anyway it's also helped because my college course is biology related so it's like a refresher for me when I read them!

Seems like a lot of effort but I find it very rewarding and I like the idea that I can help others because I wish there was a site like that around for me when I was doing my leaving! The site doesn't have a huge amount but with peoples help it'll get bigger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I could of made about 65 euro on giving books back to my school. But That would feel like giving something back to the leaving cert.

I want to dissociate myself in every possible way with the exams and school and throw all my books and notes away so that I can finally feel free!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

teckoda wrote: »
    I could of made about 65 euro on giving books back to my school. But That would feel like giving something back to the leaving cert.

I want to dissociate myself in every possible way with the exams and school and throw all my books and notes away so that I can finally feel free!

Ide rather be free with 65euro in my pocket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm sending most of the books to a school book shop, all in moderately good condition! Everything else was RECYCLE. Tut tut everyone burning their books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

I got rid of all my copys,notes + revision books today...Filled up a huge bag..Put them all in the bin:D..Sold my books to a book shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ok, aside from from suggestion above which i think is a really good idea, (and fair play to the guy who started the site and others who have contributed), instead of recycling or throwing notes out, would you guys not have anyone in 5th/4th year to hand them down to? I found that great, my friends skipped 4th year so I had her notes when I was in 6th year to work from also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

On the night I get my college course I am going to put mine in a hole out the back and dance all over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

when I get my results im goin burn my books and dance around them like these kool kids!!!!:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4n8nWKi7Ug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Build a bonfire, Build a bonfire
    Put the Gaeilge on the top
    Eavan Boland in the middle,
    And we'll burn the ****ing lot.

We are symbolically going to all throw the Poetry book into the Liffey at some stage

Advertisement