Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best provider from my list...

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've recently decided to change my ISP from Eircom to one of the three in the list below.
    Smart Telecom (Contention Ratio 1:1)

4 mbit/ 200 kbit
    €50.36 p.m

6 mbit/ 300 kbit
    €55.36 p.m

8 mbit/ 400 kbit
    €60.36 p.m

10 mbit/ 500 kbit
    €70.36 p.m

15 mbit/ 500 kbit
    €80.36

1mbit Upload Add-on: +€10 p.m

Static I.P: +€5 p.m

No Download/Upload Cap

Perlico (Contention Ratio 48:1)

1mbit / ??? kbit
    €39.99 (inc vat) per month for first 6 months, €46.99 per month thereafter
    10GB Cap

2mbit / ??? kbit
    €44.99 (inc vat) per month for first 6 months, €51.99 per month thereafter
    20GB Cap

Magnet (Contention Ratio 1:1)

Silver
    2 mbit / ??? kbit
    €39 p.m

Gold
    4 mbit / ??? kbit
    €52 p.m

Platinum
    8 mbit / ??? kbit
    €58 p.m

My question is... who's the best? i.e Most reliable, best tech support, best value, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd still be on Smart if I hadn't moved to an area where it isn't available :o

Best option by a long-shot....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd still be on Smart if I hadn't moved to an area where it isn't available :o

Best option by a long-shot....
    Just recently in the same situation, now with UTV.

Definteily get Smart if you can. The unbundling procedure can be a bit slower, but it's definitely worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

smart is the best isp in ireland wish i could get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If you went to Perlico you would basically still be with Eircom because they sell broadband that uses Eircoms equipment. Smarts the obvious choice here they are the best, but magnet aren't too bad either, smart would definitely be first choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You can't get Magnet broadband unless you are in one of their FTTH developments. They don't do residential broadband via DSL anymore.

I'd go for Smart (I have it myself) if you are in one of their enable exchanges. They have a support forum available where you can get support from some of the network people and other users.

Those prices you've quoted for Smart include the voice bundle at €10 - you don't have to get it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

MGSman123 wrote: »

Magnet (Contention Ratio 1:1)

Silver
    2 mbit / ??? kbit
    €39 p.m

Gold
    4 mbit / ??? kbit
    €52 p.m

Platinum
    8 mbit / ??? kbit
    €58 p.m[/code]

My question is... who's the best? i.e Most reliable, best tech support, best value, etc.

Magnet broadband is symetrical.. 8mb download/8 mb upload, a real 1:1 contention and no cap (although as everyone elses it does have a fair usage policy)

It will be the best option if you are looking for a Broadband only product. But I have never dealt with them though so I can't tell you if they are any good.

But like you have been told, that's only if you have fiber coming in, otherwise its just ADSL2+.

As Smart uses LLU they still depend on Eircom's local loop so quality cannot be guaranteed. Magnet on the other side, as well as NTL own the line from A to B.

I dont know but I do find a 8/8 mb package very tempting. Specially considering that with fiber, there is much more speed to offer... in a future maybe?

But as I have said I have never dealt with Magnet so I can't give you a fair advice. I am thinking of getting Magnet myself as I will be moving into one of their FTTH sites, so advice will be welcome! (for me, its either them, Eircom or NTL)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From that list, Smart or Magnet.
    Haven't used Magnet but I find Smart excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

I'm lookin around myself so back on boards looking for recommendations - thinking of either BT or Smart cos i've been with eircom and perlico in the past. Work in the it industry so know a good bit of detail about both from friends working there. Good reviews of smart from you guys, my only one issue is that there are now very strong rumours that they are once again screwed on the financial front. Don't want to chance getting into contract with them if it goes belly up shortly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Rumours - I love 'em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

what does happen if a company like smart goes belly up - do you just lose your service? They were/are in talks with o2 on acquisition but apparently going nowhere fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think its pretty unlikely that a big company like Smart would ever go Belly up.
    If there was a serious likelyhood of it happening it would be bought out by someone beforehand. It is my opinion that smart will be bought out in the future one way or another though.

If it were me, my choice would definitely be to go for Smart, even if something happened to Smart in the future their quality service would be worth a few days of downtime in the unlikely event. If a company like Smart went under Eircom would be all over their customers so quick that they really wouldn't experience any amount of downtime.

An interesting point is that Eircom are a few BILLION in debt but nobody ever worries about them going under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

I will be moving to Donaghmede shortly , could anyone living in the area recommend the best value broadband? Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet is indeed available on DSL, the product range is slim (just the 4mb pack) but it is available in neighbourhoods in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford and Portlaoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

I have just moved into the Grand Canal Dock(D4) area. Any know if Smart is available here? Dont want to get a phone line in and then find out I can't make use of their service.

I'm pretty much set on using them, if I cant, I'll just go with a NTL package, but I really would like the benefits of Smarts uncapped NGN offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

As far as I know you're on the Crown Alley exchange which is on Smart's list of exchanges.

Easist way to find out is get the name of a local business and their number and put them into Smart's online checker.

EDIT: Hmm - At least the second part of my info will be helpful. :)

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

If your close to the Bridge Bar & Grill then you can probably get either Magnet or Smart as the Bridge Bar & Grill is on the Merrion exchange.

Thanks for the replies and logical thinking! I'll give it a try! yay :D

Just in case someone wants to know

I decided to go with Magnet, FTTH.

I applied last tuesday and the order was completed yesterday, so it was pretty quick.

Is a direct link to their switches so there is no router on my premises, ports are open and nothing seems to be throttled.

Speeds are :

286247288.png

Transfer rates are ~910 KBps.

Pings are very fast too (~6-12 ms)

So far so good (1 day) we will see.

Just to let you know

Wow Bohrio that does sound pretty good.
    I'm guessing you went for the 8Mb package, very nice. Those ping times are impressive!

Believe me when I say I am impressed as well... :)

8 mb yes. I have the full package (TV - PHONE - BB) as by doing this I avoided the installation charge and also because the package is 50 euros instead of €73 for the first 2 months. I will probably drop the TV and stick to NTL, not sure how well IPTV will work.

I must say that even with the TV running speeds are still very good

286278871.png

This is how a tracert looks like

Tracing route to rte.ie [89.207.56.94]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 87-198-x-1.ptr.magnet.ie [87.198.x.1]

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms d-xxxxxxc-asr15.magnet.ie [87.198.75.66]

3 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms d-xxxxxxc-asr16.magnet.ie [87.198.75.70]

4 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 87-198-75-73.ptr.magnet.ie [87.198.75.73]

5 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 85.91.2.182

6 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms d-deg-core1a.magnet.ie [85.91.3.13]

7 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms d-deg-edge2.magnet.ie [85.91.2.42]

8 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms deg-gw-2.rte.ie [194.88.240.17]

9 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 89.207.56.94

Trace complete.

And a ping

Pinging rte.ie [89.207.56.94] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.207.56.94: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 89.207.56.94:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

• Advertisement

Cool - I'm guessing there is a standard 12 month contract with Magnet? Will they let you drop the IPTV during the contract period?

Get0fix wrote: »
    Cool - I'm guessing there is a standard 12 month contract with Magnet? Will they let you drop the IPTV during the contract period?

Yes, 12 months. They will let me drop the TV is I want (at least on the first 2 months trial)

In theory they said you can add - drop any packages without penalty as long as you keep some kind of service with them..

I am still amazed by those pings...

Fiber is def worth it... Anyway I am being too positive... we will see in a few months ;)

Well, enjoy them while they are there! Not much better than great latency on braodband! You said you didnt have a router in your house. What are you connecting your PC/Laptop/Console to then?
    I've never dealt with fibre.

Get0fix wrote: »
    Well, enjoy them while they are there! Not much better than great latency on braodband! You said you didnt have a router in your house. What are you connecting your PC/Laptop/Console to then?
    I've never dealt with fibre.

In the apartment we have CAT5/ethernet prewired. All they install is their own IP switch mainly so you can use VOIP (phone) and TVIP but if you didnt have this services a normal ethernet switch will do the trick. Then, there is a CAT5 uplink from my apartment to magnets ODF (Optical Distribution Frame) in my floor (about 20 meters away). From there is all fiber.

I dont really know what kind of bandwidth they have but I will assume that it will be STM-1 or GigE at least (that's 155 mbps/1 gbps) until it reaches their STM-64 network, but I dont really know for sure, its just a guess.

Advertisement