Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone think of a simple algorithm to solve this problem?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have the following equation -

y^2 mod 269 = x^3 + 3*x + 5 mod 269

Let's say x is 64.

So -

y^2 mod 269 = 64^3 + 3*64 + 5 mod 269
    y^2 mod 269 = 262144 + 192 + 5 mod 269
    y^2 mod 269 = 262341 mod 269
    y^2 mod 269 = 66

Now, I happen to know off hand that y is 55, but if I didn't know this, how would I calculate y?

I've been told it's as simple as "square root modulo a prime", but I cannot figure out how to do this.

Can any of you guys think of a simple algorithm I could use to calculate y?

This is doing my head in...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

This sounds like you're trying to re-invent some cryptographic wheel without having the appropiate Math background.

square root modulo a prime is a well known problem in cryptography and x^2 mod p where p gets large is not an easy problem to solve.

My advice for you is either:

a. Learn the Maths behind this first, you seem to be skipping to the programming end first. You're starting from the wrong side.

b. Use a proper library to do the crypto for you, especially if this isn't some pet project and the data actually needs to be cryptographically secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Strange one, y can be multiple values.

Eg: 14.2478068`

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

phil wrote: »
    This sounds like you're trying to re-invent some cryptographic wheel without having the appropiate Math background.

square root modulo a prime is a well known problem in cryptography and x^2 mod p where p gets large is not an easy problem to solve.

My advice for you is either:

a. Learn the Maths behind this first, you seem to be skipping to the programming end first. You're starting from the wrong side.

b. Use a proper library to do the crypto for you, especially if this isn't some pet project and the data actually needs to be cryptographically secure.

Yeah, I'm aware Koblitz wrote an algorithm for this, but like all Elliptic Curve Cryptography documentation, they couldn't write it in a more abstract, unhelpful style if they tried!

I'm currently using an inefficent brute force system... it'll work for now until I can get my head around Koblitz's stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't have a smart reply, sorry. My brain is mostly asleep.

The one comment I do have to make is that if you're brute forcing like this:
    for y in [0, infinity):
        if (y * y) % 269 == 66:
            return y

you might find it nicer to do this:
    for n in [0, infinity):
        y = sqrt(66 + (n * 269))
        if y is an integer:
            return y

If I think of a smarter way to do it tomorrow, I'll post something.

Advertisement