Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water and Laptop, good mix?

• 16-06-2008 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

My poor idiot student brother had an accident, as he was listening to his music he knocked a glass of water over the keyboard. Just turned off straight away. He left it off all night, then when he tries to turn it on it starts turning on but then stops. It appears like the battery is charging. He chanced plugging it in.

Anyway i assume it is screwed, he has it a over a year. Its a dell latitude, not sure what model number. Any place it could get fixed? Drumcondra pref!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would take out the harddrive, and open the laptop up as much as possible and put it in the hotpress or something, it's a long shot but yu might get lucky. Dont plug it in or attempt to turn it on. And remove the battery.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the bit where you said you had left it off over night. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dont try turning it on

remove the battery and hotpress it.

If you want to go the extra 9 yards he can get the manual for his laptop model and that will show him how to completely disassemble the laptop piece by piece.

Lay it all on a non static surface in the hotpress and pray for a miracle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

As the other lads said, take it apart as much as you can and stick it in the hotpress and hope for a miracle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

you could put it in the toaster? lol. joke! dont do it!

yeah, you may be lucky,

a quick take apart and very fine inspection and you may be lucky.
    on some laptops the keyboard is built like a tray, with round up edges. so the majority of the water may have stayed in that. also, chances are the water is lying in wait around a very tight component using capillary attraction.
    *I am just saying, you may kill your machine, you may be best off getting it done professionally*
    get a cotton bud , ground yourself and maybe wear a static bracelet, take out the battery, and the cmos battery just incase. hold the power button for 30 seconds.

search around the board in any particular area you think the water may have flowed. look for holes under the keyboard or areas where he spilt the water. force the cotton at the angle between component and board, you may just soak out the water.

if you send it away to get fixed they'll charge you for a whole new mobo and other bits and bobs they'd like to charge you for.

but do try what everybody else said first as what i just said is a bit extreme and dangerous to your machine if done wrong.

hope it works.

Advertisement