Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A couple "Knowledge" type questions

• 16-06-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I was discussing Euro 2008 with a Canadian co-worker here, and the topic of video replays came up. Anyway, it got me thinking later, has a match ever been replayed or a decision overturned because of video replays after the game. I'm not talking about disciplinary action, but things more along the line of offside decisions, ball crossing the line, phantom goals and phantom penalties and the like.

Secondly, a slightly related question. I seem to recall an FA Cup match a few years back between Arsenal and Sheff Utd that was replayed because somebody scored from a throw that normally would've been thrown back to the other team for fair play reasons. Did that actually happen or am I mis-remembering something? If it did happen, how did it go down? Was the rest of the game finished, or did the players walk off the pitch and refuse to play? And was that the one and only time that has happened?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Exit wrote: »
    I was discussing Euro 2008 with a Canadian co-worker here, and the topic of video replays came up. Anyway, it got me thinking later, has a match ever been replayed or a decision overturned because of video replays after the game. I'm not talking about disciplinary action, but things more along the line of offside decisions, ball crossing the line, phantom goals and phantom penalties and the like.

Secondly, a slightly related question. I seem to recall an FA Cup match a few years back between Arsenal and Sheff Utd that was replayed because somebody scored from a throw that normally would've been thrown back to the other team for fair play reasons. Did that actually happen or am I mis-remembering something? If it did happen, how did it go down? Was the rest of the game finished, or did the players walk off the pitch and refuse to play? And was that the one and only time that has happened?

No, and yes, arsenal offered the replay though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nobody ever seems to mention it (so maybe im wrong) but did someone not notify the Ref about Zidane's headbut in the WC final after seing a replay cos the game had continued iirc for about a min and a half with Italy attacking until suddenly the game was stopped play brought back and the Red card produced insiting many a WTF exclamation until it was replayed on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, the 4th official saw the replay on a monitor and alerted the ref, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yeah, the 4th official saw the replay on a monitor and alerted the ref, as far as I know.

It's Fifa's worst kept secret. That and the fact that Blatter and all his cronies are on the take.

That decision marked the day that video technology as introduced and utilized in a high profile competitive match, something Fifa have a very hard time accepting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Im so glad we're all so knowledgable :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

do people remember this in the World Cup Qualifying in 2006 World Cup?

Uzbekistan against Bahrain.

Uzbekistan were knocked out in the final stage of Asian qualification to the 2006 FIFA World Cup after losing on the away goals rule to Bahrain. The result was subject to controversy as actually three games were played; the first, a 1-0 win for Uzbekistan, was wiped out after FIFA declared the result void after a mistake by a Japanese referee. The replay ended 1-1, and after the return finished 0-0, Uzbekistan were eliminated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbekistan_national_football_team

I think the referee gave a penalty that should not have been!

Advertisement