Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on returning an mp3 player

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I got an mp3 player in November. The one I got before broke and I got it replaced no hassle. Problem was that I had originally got a cheaper one (60euro) but then when returning it, decided to upgrade to an 80euro one.
    It stopped working a couple of weeks ago, with one earphone not working. I tried different earphones but still the same problem. I phoned the manafacurer who told me how to fix it, didnt work so they said there was a hardware defect and it was still under guarantee so I could return it to the seller who would replace it.

The problem is this: when I exchanged it, only the 20euro addition I payed was put on the reciept. The remainder was simply exchanged for the money I had spent on the original mp3 player and didn't show up on the reciept at all. Does it sound like the store would be understanding about this as I have no proof otherwise that the mp3 player I bought is the one on the reciept, the reciept simply says "*manafacturer* mp3 player".

NOT looking for legal advice but general advice on how to go about returning it (if possible) would be appreciated,

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from After Hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Shouldn't be a problem. If I understand you there is an exchange reciept which will show the 20 euro is in addition to the original cost. Happened in my old job all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

turns out I had the wrong reciept.

I picked it up in Argos, and can't find the reciept anywhere.

I'm guessing Argos don't repair stuff without proof of purchase.

The website says:
    If there's a fault with the product...

* If you bring it back to us within 30 days with your proof of purchase*, we'll give you a
    replacement or a refund.
    * If you've had the product for up to 1 year, we'll repair the product or, if that's not possible, give you a replacement or, if that's not possible, a refund.

No mention of a reciept needed for repairs or replacements though...

Does anyone know how much of a chance I have of getting a replacement/repair without a reciept?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's only stocked by Argos they are very good about exchanging/repair. But if stocked by different retailers then you've the same chance as any other shop, none. Also depends on the person behind the counter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

legally, you have no rights without the reciept. However, they may repair/ replace out of customer care.

Be polite and see where it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Without the receipt, they have no idea if it's still under warranty or not, or whether you even bought it there. If you paid with a card, then a card statement might be enough. If you paid cash, there's pretty much nothing you can do without the receipt, even in Argos, who are usually fairly lenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In my experience Argos have been one of the better places for returning things to, but that said i've never tried without a receipt.

Advertisement