Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why cant Iget broadband

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

I just got my landline reactivated and eircom are saying I cant get broadband even though the three houses all around me have it.the line goes from the the pole to my house on to my neighbour,s (who has it)and down the lane to another neighbour(in a caravan).we are the 3rd last hous on a spur but if 3 neighbours can have it why are they telling me I cant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

paddybar wrote: »
    I just got my landline reactivated and eircom are saying I cant get broadband even though the three houses all around me have it.the line goes from the the pole to my house on to my neighbour,s (who has it)and down the lane to another neighbour(in a caravan).we are the 3rd last hous on a spur but if 3 neighbours can have it why are they telling me I cant.
    The lines are only tested for broadband capability once a month, it could be just the case that you will have to wait a couple of weeks for it to show up as broadband ready. Saying that, there are a some things that can cause you to fail that could be out of your control such as being on a split line. Any chance you could check your dialup speed on the line? Dialup speed is generally a good indication of the quality of the line and could diagnose problems like being on a split line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah, tell us your dialup speed when you connect to the internet. Eircom's basic local call rate dialup number is 1892150150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

i,m using the vodafone mobile thingy at the moment which can only pick up a gprs signal at home.we got the land line out because it was so slow as to be useless but the neighbours got the bb in about 6 months ago so we decided to get it back.thanks for the advice i,ll try that when i get home

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zooned

I'm in the same boat as the op. Neighbour has eircom broadband. I have contacted eircom to be told line dosen't pass. Strange thing is neighbour's line dosen't pass on the website checker either. He said he was contacted by eircom and offered broadband. We are both on the same enabled exchange and only one eircom pole away. Mind boggling stuff.
    My dial up speeds range from 36Kbps to 38.6Kbps.
    What are the chances of getting broadband on the line.

That's a little odd. At a guess, it sounds like you're nearly 5 miles from the exchange and you're just over the limit. Before the final distance extension a year or so ago, I would pass if I had an extension disconnected but would fail if it was connected.

So if there's a way to shorten or improve your phone line within your house, even for the month to see if you pass, it could pay dividends.

Also, I'd get onto a local eircom engineer about it somehow and tell him your situation. See if you can persuade him to fix up the line, give him a gift or money for his troubles too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 zooned

Yes. I'm 4.5 miles by road from the town where the exchange. Not sure where the exchange is so could be on the 5 mile limit. I will have to find the exchange and stake it out in the hope of spotting an eircom engineer.
    Very frustrating when you know your neighbour has broadband and you can't get it. No chance of ever getting wireless and no 3G coverage here. I work from home and need broadband badly.
    God bless Eamon Ryan. He is a credit to his country.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I thought the limit was 5km, not 5 miles?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zooned wrote: »
    Yes. I'm 4.5 miles by road from the town where the exchange. Not sure where the exchange is so could be on the 5 mile limit. I will have to find the exchange and stake it out in the hope of spotting an eircom engineer.
    Very frustrating when you know your neighbour has broadband and you can't get it. No chance of ever getting wireless and no 3G coverage here. I work from home and need broadband badly.
    God bless Eamon Ryan. He is a credit to his country.;)

as the person next door if they'll allow you access to their wireless roiuter?

From enquiries I made with eircom and based on the last house on my road to pass the line test, it's extremely likely the "Pass, but needs confirmation" message applies for lines with attenuation of maybe 66dB up as far as between 95 and 100dB.

With your average eircom copper pair, that translates into a distance of nearly 5 miles (or 8km) at most.

The original limit when eircom launched DSL was 54 dB and it stayed at that level for over 3 years if I remember rightly, the useless idiots. That translates into 4.5km.

Advertisement