Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orginal film Scores

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

hey all recently been listening to alot of orginal film score that comes on various films,games and TV shows that i watch and was wondering if anyone had some recomendations for any of the above that you think had a great orginal soundtrack to it?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

Stigmata- that movie has a great original soundtrack- and it was partly wrote by Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins). Totally awesome, you should really check it out. Its very emotional and very original. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What are you into?

S/Ts in my collection include Blade Runner (Vangelis - etherial ambeint/electronic), $ (Quincy Jones - cool jazz), Thief and Sorcerer (Tangerine Dream - dark moody electronic), Taking of Pelham 123 (David Shire - harder cool jazz), Fantastic Planet (Alain Goraguer - jazz-funk-rock).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stewart Copeland - Rumblefish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

cheers for the suggestions lads I genrally like soundtracks that have an electronic or orcestral sound to them ,
    examples being the requiem for a dream soundtrack also the metal gear solid or final fantasy games etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I like 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford' by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

My own favourite film scores,
    Batman,Edward Scissorhands,Amelie,American Beauty,Crash,Band of Brothers,Gladiator,Lord of the Rings Trilogy,Pans Labyrinth,Road to Perdition,Sleepy Hollow,The Virgin Suicides,Gladiator cant go wrong with any of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Shawshank Redemption for me.
    Love the film, and every time I listen to it, I can see the moments in the film in relates to. It's amazingly soothing in places and I used to love listening to before going to bed or totally chilling out.
    You'd be amazed at the amound of times TV documentaries etc... pull tracks off it.

Another one is 'The Insider' score - another that has been used in lots of documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

spurious wrote: »
    I like 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford' by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

Seconded (but their soundtrack to The Proposition is better).

I really shouldn't be the first to mention Ennio Morricone, come on people! :)

All his soundtracks (even the ones for pissy Italian TV shows that I've never seen) are gold.

Tindersticks' soundtracks for Claire Denis's movies are worth investigating too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Most of Hans Zimmers stuff; love the Pirates scores/BHD

Transformers is excellent.

Bourne movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

+1 for the requim for a dream soundtrack kronos quartet are amazing

the score for 25th hour is good, also check out the score/soundtrack to heat - armenia by einsturzende neubauten...scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

John wrote: »
    I really shouldn't be the first to mention Ennio Morricone, come on people! :)

Yes indeed his soundtrack to The Mission is amazing, such powerful pieces of music.......
    I also like Vangelis "1492 conquest of paradise!" and The Beach soundtrack. Virgin Suicides by Air is good too, also Magnolia soundtrack by Aimee Mann

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I suprisingly quite enjoyed the scores from Broken Arrow and 30 Days of Night... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh yeah I have a few Morricones - Fistful and Few Dollars More - its amazing how often bits and pieces from those crop up on tv programmes (usually in jokey context).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Most of Hans Zimmer's are fantastic (Pirates of the Carribean and King Arthur are favourites). Danny Elfman is great too, he scores a lot of Tim Burton's films. I recently bought The Passion of the Christ OST which is amazing. If you like soundtrack orientated music, check out Globus. Its a music project by Immediate Music, the people who create movie trailer music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Out of Sight (score by David Holmes, ST includes Isley Brothers, Dean Martin etc. as well)
    Virgin Suicides (Air)
    Bodysong (Jonny Greenwood)
    Amelie (Yann Tiersen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Don't know if it's available to buy but the soundtrack to Dead Man by Neil Young captivated me from start to finish.

Also: Nightmare Before Christmas, Sin City, Unbreakable, and of course, Star Wars!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Hours soundtrack by Philip Glass is spectacular. I've never even seen the film and it's one of my favourite albums. It's dramatic and poignant. I play it very loudly when I'm in the house on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Michael Giacchino's scores for Lost are great too.
    So far there's an album for each of the first 3 seasons.
    Haven't heard any of his movie/game scores though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

niallon wrote: »
    Don't know if it's available to buy but the soundtrack to Dead Man by Neil Young captivated me from start to finish.

It is indeed and it's well worth the money. Fantastic soundtrack and a brilliant album by Neil Young, doubly awesome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement