Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yorkies

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

miniture yorkies :) sweet little things who likes yorkies:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

they are a bit to yappy for my liking but they are definitely cute!! there are 2 in a house near us and every time we walk by with our dog (a collie) they come out yapping and nipping at him,he gives one low growl and they scamper off! lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mousey2

they are a bit to yappy for my liking but they are definitely cute!! there are 2 in a house near us and every time we walk by with our dog (a collie) they come out yapping and nipping at him,he gives one low growl and they scamper off! lol :D
    there yappy alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

Aw...I love yorkies...have a ten year old male since he was 8 weeks..he's so spoiled...a right little baby!!...he's quite difficult to bring for a walk though...he really goes for other dogs so have to bring him to a nearby woods to try and avoid any especially any not kept on leads!!

yorkies are very protective and close 2 the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

They are adorable little guys but no such thing as a "miniature" yorkie, they are already a Toy breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Mmm Yorkies are lovely. I especially love them with a cup of coffee.Sugary goodness :pac::pac::pac: :D

there are different size yorkies,medium miniture,small,tcup known as toy i use to breed yorkies.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Mmm Yorkies are lovely. I especially love them with a cup of coffee.Sugary goodness :pac::pac::pac: :D

were takkin 4 legged yorkies not choc :rolleyes:

*sigh* this obviously means you were one of those unreputable backyard breeders if you were breeding "teacups"! a Yorkshire Terrier is a Yorkshire Terrier. It fits into the "Toy" catergory like Labradors fit into the "gundog" catergory, Lhasa Apso's fit into the "Utility" category etc! Don't believe me, check out the IKC, AKC, FCI etc!

kerrysgold wrote: »
    *sigh* this obviously means you were one of those unreputable backyard breeders if you were breeding "teacups"! a Yorkshire Terrier is a Yorkshire Terrier. It fits into the "Toy" catergory like Labradors fit into the "gundog" catergory, Lhasa Apso's fit into the "Utility" category etc! Don't believe me, check out the IKC, AKC, FCI etc!

sorry but i am known for breeding and all my dogs were raised indoors and well cared for and every 1 health checked shows you dont no much about yorkies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Patti D.

Love Yorkies, we have one called Minnie who rules the roost in our house...wouldn't have it any other way!

Patti D. wrote: »
    Love Yorkies, we have one called Minnie who rules the roost in our house...wouldn't have it any other way!

clever looking 1 so she is:)

no, I'm not an expert on the breed by any means but luckily I can read the odd dog breed book here and there and know my breed categories. you should try it some time! There is one type of Yorkshire terrier, that is all!

no, I'm not an expert on the breed by any means but luckily I can read the odd dog breed book here and there and know my breed categories. you should try it some time! There is one type of Yorkshire terrier, that is all!

there is 1 name on the yorkshier yes but open your eyes to the different sizes as im long enough aroud yorkies to no what om talking about.

I'm guessing if they are smaller than the breed standard that usually means runts have been bred to create smaller (unhealthy) dogs.

basically, 1 name, 1 size standard. (slight variation on the breed standard obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

nonsense. you dont know what your talking about. every breed of dog will have lines that differ in some way. same way that not all pups in the same litter are the same size,that doesnt mean the smaller ones are runts or unhealthy.
    every breed of dog got to where it is by breeding similar to similar. look at the different colours of labs,springer. or beagles where bred by breeding smalller hounds with smaller hounds until we ended up with the beagle. the different types of yorkies are just from different line of breeding. and just cos the lady calls the mini doesnt make her some sort of puppy peddler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

I'm guessing if they are smaller than the breed standard that usually means runts have been bred to create smaller (unhealthy) dogs.

basically, 1 name, 1 size standard. (slight variation on the breed standard obviously)

Another thread on yorkies and i knew id find your name on it!

I replied a really long message to you the last time on the other thread explaining stuff on it! You didn't write back to that, that time? I wonder why.. I can't find the thread atm but my main point was NOT ALL MINIATURE ETC "RUNTS" ARE THE PARENTS... :rolleyes:

Not argueing here neither looking for one!! ;)

Another thread on yorkies and i knew id find your name on it!

I replied a really long message to you the last time on the other thread explaining stuff on it! You didn't write back to that, that time? I wonder why.. I can't find the thread atm but my main point was NOT ALL MINIATURE ETC "RUNTS" ARE THE PARENTS... :rolleyes:

Not argueing here neither looking for one!! ;)

none of my yorlies are unhealthy every 1 is very healthy and are smaller than the medium breed all health checked wormed regastered microchipped and raised indoors and very much loved none are ever sick every 1 beleives in what they want i have yorkies miniture and 1 even smaller all well looked after .

whitser wrote: »
    nonsense. you dont know what your talking about. every breed of dog will have lines that differ in some way. same way that not all pups in the same litter are the same size,that doesnt mean the smaller ones are runts or unhealthy.
    every breed of dog got to where it is by breeding similar to similar. look at the different colours of labs,springer. or beagles where bred by breeding smalller hounds with smaller hounds until we ended up with the beagle. the different types of yorkies are just from different line of breeding. and just cos the lady calls the mini doesnt make her some sort of puppy peddler.

thank you ,, i have bloodline yorkies and you are right i am not a peddler any 1 that has baught puppys from me and did see mum dad and a sister from first litter . thanks again..

There's not even an argument here, it's a fact that there is only 1 type of yorkie! If you are selling them as miniatures or teacups or whatever then you aren't what would be called a reputable breeder, unless you are breeding show quality dogs which as far as I know would mean the dogs fitting the breed standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

mousey2 wrote: »
    thank you ,, i have bloodline yorkies and you are right i am not a peddler any 1 that has baught puppys from me and did see mum dad and a sister from first litter . thanks again..

Did the puppies you sold come with their papers? If they did they would only say Yorkshire Terrier as that is the only recognised breed standard. You may have treated your dogs and puppies really well, done everything you could to keep them healthy and seen them all well homed. But that does not mean there is a such thing as miniature/teacup yorkies. They are just small yorkies, bred from two small yorkies.

Your argument that there is a teacup yorkie because you've bred them is silly. I'm a fairly small person and if my husband was also small the odds are our children would be small. But that wouldn't make us teacup people, it would just make us people who are small. And miniature yorkies are just yorkies who are small.

Also take dog like springer spaniels, they come in black and white, liver and white and occasionally black, liver and white. There are working springers, who's dominant colour is white and show springers who's dominant colour is black or liver. In working springers you have the traditional sturdy shape, with square faces and muscular bodies and you have those bred to promote agility with skinny legs and bodies, which are the current most popular search and rescue dogs. But each and everyone of those dogs is classified as a springer spaniel, even though they all have obvious physical differences. And don't even get me started on the physical variations in border collies.;)

I'm not a huge fan of toy dogs anyway, I much prefer working breeds. I love nothing better than a long hike in nature with my two bounding buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

From WIKIpedia....but still:

"The Yorkshire Terrier (often called simply the Yorkie) is a breed of small dog in the terrier category.The long-haired terrier is known for its playful demeanor and distinctive blue and tan coat.[Yorkies can be very small, usually weighing not more than 7 pounds (3.18 kg); the standard of this breed does not mention the minimum weight accepted nor does it specify a height"

http://www.elvisyorkshireterrier.com/yorkie/yorkshire-terrier-breed.htm
    From AKC:
    "Weight
    Must not exceed seven pounds"

Don't see anything about them having to be a certain size to fit the standard. But I'm no expert and only doing a quick web search,

Your argument that there is a teacup yorkie because you've bred them is silly. I'm a fairly small person and if my husband was also small the odds are our children would be small. But that wouldn't make us teacup people, it would just make us people who are small. And miniature yorkies are just yorkies who are small.

I think it was the fact the person was jumped on as being a backyard breeder of disrepute just because they mentioned "teacup" yorkies, that is a bit annoying. Especially now that it has turned a viable thread into a slanging match. It is only a way to describe a size. It is just like saying "Black and Tan Cavalier". An adjective, that's all.

That said, if the person is purposely breeding yorkies to be teacup (ie: runt), then it is not good. As they are generally of poor health.

Noopti wrote: »
    I think it was the fact the person was jumped on as being a backyard breeder of disrepute just because they mentioned "teacup" yorkies, that is a bit annoying. Especially now that it has turned a viable thread into a slanging match. It is only a way to describe a size. It is just like saying "Black and Tan Cavalier". An adjective, that's all.

That said, if the person is purposely breeding yorkies to be teacup (ie: runt), then it is not good. As they are generally of poor health.
    exactly. calling them a mini or a teacup is just a prefix or description. the lady never said it was a seperate breed. but if someone is looking to get a smaller type yorkie they'll look for a mini or tea cup. thats all it is,.
    the runt off the litter isnt just the smallest. the runt rarely survives, cos its usually weak and propably has something wrong with it.

There's not even an argument here, it's a fact that there is only 1 type of yorkie! If you are selling them as miniatures or teacups or whatever then you aren't what would be called a reputable breeder, unless you are breeding show quality dogs which as far as I know would mean the dogs fitting the breed standard.
    how do you know if she reputable or not? if she breeding healthy well bred pups and shes not just breeding for cash, then good luck to her. have you any experience of breeding dogs?
    every breed has different types. look at the difference between ikc reg working and show springers, both reg but look poles apart. same goes for labs etc.....
    a cos a certain line of dog doesnt match the breed standard doesnt mean they are being bred runt-runt or that they are unhealhty etc....
    how do you think we ended up with giant,med,mini snauzhers etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

whitser wrote: »
    how do you know if she reputable or not? if she breeding healthy well bred pups and shes not just breeding for cash, then good luck to her. have you any experience of breeding dogs?

A huge amount of vets are very opposed to selectively breeding yorkies smaller and smaller. They are a small dog to begin with, so encouraging a pregnancy in a smaller than average yorkie can be very dangerous for the mother and the pups. For example, have you ever seen a human child who has more physically in common with a more distant relative than their parents. Well the same thing can happen with dogs, so you can take a pair of small yorkies and breed them, but the pups can take after a larger family member and grow big enough to kill themselves and/or their mother.

Plus that breeding dogs in order to continue physical characteristics makes inbreeding far, far more likely. And this can cause physical and mental health problems.

And a lot of people find the practice of selectively breeding an animal for their looks to be morally grey. It's one thing to breed dogs for their work abilities, as if you want a sheep dog breeding a collie and a springer would be moronic. Or a lab and a lurcher would make an appalling guide dog for the blind. But breeding for looks is a bit odd if you think about it.

iguana wrote: »
    A huge amount of vets are very opposed to selectively breeding yorkies smaller and smaller. They are a small dog to begin with, so encouraging a pregnancy in a smaller than average yorkie can be very dangerous for the mother and the pups. For example, have you ever seen a human child who has more physically in common with a more distant relative than their parents. Well the same thing can happen with dogs, so you can take a pair of small yorkies and breed them, but the pups can take after a larger family member and grow big enough to kill themselves and/or their mother.

Plus that breeding dogs in order to continue physical characteristics makes inbreeding far, far more likely. And this can cause physical and mental health problems.

And a lot of people find the practice of selectively breeding an animal for their looks to be morally grey. It's one thing to breed dogs for their work abilities, as if you want a sheep dog breeding a collie and a springer would be moronic. Or a lab and a lurcher would make an appalling guide dog for the blind. But breeding for looks is a bit odd if you think about it.

But they never said they were specifically breeding them for size?! Yet they were jumped upon, all they said was that they breeds Yorkies and there are different sizes! They never said, "You are wrong, because I breed every size"

Again, maybe they do purposely breed for size, which is wrong. But they didn't say this, and that is why I think it is unfair to suddenly class them as a backyard breeder of ill repute, without knowing the facts.

listen i keep working dogs, and breed them. my only consideration when breeding is working ability. but are not all show dogs bred for looks? we know nothing about this girl,if she's breeding healhty pups from healthy parents and not just in it for cash then good luck to her. and if she breeding off a long line of mini yorkies then chances are the pups will be mini too.

Did the puppies you sold come with their papers? If they did they would only say Yorkshire Terrier as that is the only recognised breed standard. You may have treated your dogs and puppies really well, done everything you could to keep them healthy and seen them all well homed. But that does not mean there is a such thing as miniature/teacup yorkies. They are just small yorkies, bred from two small yorkies.

Also take dog like springer spaniels, they come in black and white, liver and white and occasionally black, liver and white. There are working springers, who's dominant colour is white and show springers who's dominant colour is black or liver. In working springers you have the traditional sturdy shape, with square faces and muscular bodies and you have those bred to promote agility with skinny legs and bodies, which are the current most popular search and rescue dogs. But each and everyone of those dogs is classified as a springer spaniel, even though they all have obvious physical differences. And don't even get me started on the physical variations in border collies.;)

I'm not a huge fan of toy dogs anyway, I much prefer working breeds. I love nothing better than a long hike in nature with my two bounding buddies.

a very small puppy is nown as tcup to a lot of people and a tcup stays very small just let it be now and all my puppys do go with there papers yes and i dont be 2 long at my computer as i do have things to do juring the day .

• Advertisement

Noopti wrote: »

i just want to say i do not purposly breed and i amnot a backyard breeder
    just want to clear that part any searching will find tcup yorkies more common in america......

Advertisement