Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yorkies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mousey2

whitser wrote: »
    how do you know if she reputable or not? if she breeding healthy well bred pups and shes not just breeding for cash, then good luck to her. have you any experience of breeding dogs?
    every breed has different types. look at the difference between ikc reg working and show springers, both reg but look poles apart. same goes for labs etc.....
    a cos a certain line of dog doesnt match the breed standard doesnt mean they are being bred runt-runt or that they are unhealhty etc....
    how do you think we ended up with giant,med,mini snauzhers etc....

just want to say im not in it for the money my puppys are well bred and 1 tiny 1 i had i sat with as he was so small and got up every hour night and day to make sure he was feeding he is now very healthy and strong he has no problems with health .

Another thread on yorkies and i knew id find your name on it!

I replied a really long message to you the last time on the other thread explaining stuff on it! You didn't write back to that, that time? I wonder why.. I can't find the thread atm but my main point was NOT ALL MINIATURE ETC "RUNTS" ARE THE PARENTS... :rolleyes:

Not argueing here neither looking for one!! ;)
    i dont no what other thread you found as i just started this 1.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Well I dont think Aimee_gleeson was talking to you I think she may have been talking to Kerrygold????

I think this has became a case of the OP being misunderstood,i dont think the op can put her points across to well and people are picking things up wrong as a result. I would however ask the op to pick up a book on yorkies and give it a good read as you dont seem to no an awful lot about them,god knows I no all there is an my personal breed as does whitser from what I have read. It doesnt come across well,the idea of you not known about them but breeding them.

Just out of curiousity,has both dam and sire been tested for any herditery dieases?

2008_0529littlelarr0003.JPG
    this is little lar man.....

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Well I dont think Aimee_gleeson was talking to you I think she may have been talking to Kerrygold????

I think this has became a case of the OP being misunderstood,i dont think the op can put her points across to well and people are picking things up wrong as a result. I would however ask the op to pick up a book on yorkies and give it a good read as you dont seem to no an awful lot about them,god knows I no all there is an my personal breed as does whitser from what I have read. It doesnt come across well,the idea of you not known about them but breeding them.

Just out of curiousity,has both dam and sire been tested for any herditery dieases?
    my dogs are very healthy no problems with any i am not insulting any1 what did start out as a page to get to no people turned out 2 be a snapping room my mum also bred yorkies before me , i no what im doing i dont just breed 4 money and if i had a puppy with problems i would not sell to any1 i would take care of my self but thank god i never had .now leave it at that if yeas dont mind.........

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough but I think its safe to say they havent been tested....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Lads I honestly think the OP's heart is in the right place...

She comes across as a much more genuine animal lover than the la-di-dah types who care about nothing but the dog's appearance and the breed standard and will stop at feck all to get it... "I'll just breed to get their noses a LITTLE bit more squashed...I won't show any concern to the fact that it will impair their breathing because I want my rossette"...

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying all show dog breeders are snobs, but I would have much more of a problem with someone who, say, docked their dog's tail purely for appearance purposes in order to meet a breed standard, than I would with someone like the OP.
    She seems to be more of a practical type of dog breeder rather than someone who has their nose in a breed standard aiming for things that will probably make her dogs less healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Patti D. wrote: »
    Love Yorkies, we have one called Minnie who rules the roost in our house...wouldn't have it any other way!

We had a Yorkie for 10 years. Great animal and very faithful. They have the name of being snappy, but, like any dog, it depends on how you train and treat them. grew up with three tots - so didn't have it easy. And he was brilliant with them.

People used always advise us to put him outside as soon as the babies came home. We never did it. Just left him have a sniff of the moses basket and a look at the baby and he was fine. Never left alone with any of them of course.

Our one was a very fussy eater. But sure I'm a fussy eater myself!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We have one, he'll be 11 next month. Smart little fecker, sometimes seems to twig what's going on when you don't even say anything. He has a strong dislike for cats! I love his colour.

His left hind leg is pretty knackered now (ligaments) so he can't really put any weight on it. Don't think anything can be done, vet said he's too old for surgery.:( He's a mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

whitser wrote: »
    how do you know if she reputable or not? if she breeding healthy well bred pups and shes not just breeding for cash, then good luck to her. have you any experience of breeding dogs?
    every breed has different types. look at the difference between ikc reg working and show springers, both reg but look poles apart. same goes for labs etc.....
    a cos a certain line of dog doesnt match the breed standard doesnt mean they are being bred runt-runt or that they are unhealhty etc....
    how do you think we ended up with giant,med,mini snauzhers etc....

No, I haven't, because I don't intend to ad to the huge overpopulation problem in this country!

just because a dog has papers doesn't mean anything, any purebred dog can be registered with the IKC afaik.

Basically, if you're dogs aren't show standard, top quality, health tested Yorkies, then you shouldn't be breeding them. Anybody describing Yorkies (or any other breed for that matter) as "mini" or "teacup" are NOT a reputable breeder. It is pretty much the same as the new fad of "designer dogs" e.g. "maltipoos" etc.
    i just want to say i do not purposly breed and i amnot a backyard breeder
    so why don't you get your dog's spayed/neutered? there is no such thing as "accidental breeding" since it's up to you to get your dogs neutered/spayed.

• Advertisement

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Anybody describing Yorkies (or any other breed for that matter) as "mini" or "teacup" are NOT a reputable breeder. It is pretty much the same as the new fad of "designer dogs" e.g. "maltipoos" etc.

I have read a lot of your posts and I do agree that this fad of designer dogs is stupid.

However describing a small Yorkie as "teacup" does NOT make someone a backyard breeder. It's just an adjective, the same as "brunette" or "petite".
    As for it being the same as "maltipoos" etc, I have seen plenty of "Sprollies" looking for homes on Pets Ireland, does that mean the shelter who is looking for a home for them is bad and should be shut down?

I agree with your points about breeding healthy dogs, wanting to avoid adding to the population, designer dogs etc but there is no need for you to automatically label the OP as a backyard breeder, which is a derogatory term.

Mousey I would love to see some more photos of your dogs!

double post.

The problem is, is that some people actually think that these dogs described as "teacups" are actually a different type of Yorkie, and of course, "breeders" are only too happy to cater for this ignorance with a seemingly endless supply of poorly bred dogs.

As for the Sprollies, a rescue putting a fun name on what is quite a common mix is a lot different as they aren't actually breeding them on purpose and trying to make extra money from putting a name on a mix and trying to sell it as some extraordinary new breed or whatever these breeders/buyers think these designer/teacup/mini/micro dogs are. :rolleyes:

The problem is, is that some people actually think that these dogs described as "teacups" are actually a different type of Yorkie, and of course, "breeders" are only too happy to cater for this ignorance with a seemingly endless supply of poorly bred dogs.

Would you not agree that this ignorance is the fault of the prospective owner? It is up to them to research an animal before buying it, rather than going to the breeder/pet shop without a clue.
    As for the Sprollies, a rescue putting a fun name on what is quite a common mix is a lot different as they aren't actually breeding them on purpose and trying to make extra money from putting a name on a mix and trying to sell it as some extraordinary new breed or whatever these breeders/buyers think these designer/teacup/mini/micro dogs are. :rolleyes:

My aunt had a Pug and a Jack Russell, other family members loved the dogs and were looking for dogs themselves so she let the Pug and Jack Russell have a litter. She used to call them "Jugs". I'd better go tell her she is a backyard breeder and the scum of the earth. She had loving homes within her family waiting on the pups before they were even born but even so, I am disgusted at her now. :rolleyes:

What was wrong with adopting some pups instead? The rescues are constantly overflowing with dogs, there is no need to breed more if some family members want some dogs! If my family or friends wanted a dog I'd tell them to go and adopt one, I wouldn't go and let my dogs breed and give them the pups! (my dogs are neutered and spayed anyway!)

I think its safe to say at this point the thread has gone off topic slightly,theres never going to be a right and wrong between kerrygolds point and nootis point,it will contunie to go around in circles. OP started the thread for people to admire the breed,I have my doubts about certain things the op said but its clear she is not a backyard breeder,if anything I think it seems the op may be a young girl whose mother breeds the dogs?????

Anyway enough of the arguements,i think this thread has ran its course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

However describing a small Yorkie as "teacup" does NOT make someone a backyard breeder
    I agree.

I have a yorkie, some people call her a tea cup, some a mini and so on but she is a yorkie. However the yorkie breed does come in different sizes due to breeding lines etc., I dont personally believe everyone who is selling a "mini yorkie" is doing so to gain extra money if both the parents are very small or "mini" then the pups will be small in size also. The fact is people now refer to the yorkshire breed as having different sizes like a standard yorkie, toy yorkie, teacup fact is their just small yorkies, people aren't saying there not yorkies their simply saying their is different size yorkies which obviously there is due to the breeding of them over the years.

Would you not agree that this ignorance is the fault of the prospective owner? It is up to them to research an animal before buying it, rather than going to the breeder/pet shop without a clue.
    -- brilliant point and this is why forums like this are so important and educational to others.
    what was wrong with adopting some pups instead? The rescues are constantly overflowing with dogs, there is no need to breed more if some family members want some dogs! If my family or friends wanted a dog I'd tell them to go and adopt one, I wouldn't go and let my dogs breed and give them the pups! (my dogs are neutered and spayed anyway!)
    -- why must the debate of rescue vs buying a pet always have to be brought into topics, the fact is some prefere to rescue some like to buy animals some do both, (neither makes one person a better person or pet owner than the other, the care love and time given to the pet throughout their life is what matters the most)everyone has the choice and the right to decide which option suits them best. However i must add that as a breeder myself i do believe that reputable breeders test their animals suitability for breeding and health status before breeding but again that is just my opinion. I believe that an animal should not be breed from because their cute or lovely but because their suitable and healthy to be breed from. Also this notion that breeding a dog for show quality or to show standard is ok is a total joke, how many champion or pedigree dogs have genetic disorders or infact have been tested before breeding?? Not a lot... instead they use the term "champion bloodlines" to try sell the pups instead!! Instead of showing evidence of health testing and vet checks etc.

btw thanks kerrygold for the link it is excellent and differientates between reputable and unreputable breeders excellently.

And to the OP - yes yorkies are adorable, a fab breed that require time, training and lots of attention espically when as a pup and when toilet training ( in fairness my one wasnt too bad to train but ive heard from others who cant train theirs!!) i love my lilo to pieces and think she is a clever cheeky and sometimes yappy little thing but id never consider breeding her as i dont know anything about breeding yorkies so i had her spayed, she's a typical yorkie loves her comforts and treats!

What was wrong with adopting some pups instead? The rescues are constantly overflowing with dogs, there is no need to breed more if some family members want some dogs! If my family or friends wanted a dog I'd tell them to go and adopt one, I wouldn't go and let my dogs breed and give them the pups! (my dogs are neutered and spayed anyway!)

Well her family members wanted to make sure they were getting puppies that they knew were coming from healthy, well looked after parents. Do you have a problem with that?

There is a bad smell of tar in this thread and I could take a good guess who is holding the brush...

that's no excuse for not adopting, any dog that has had pups in a shelter will be well looked after. even going to a good breeder would be better than letting you're own dogs breed to order :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

that's no excuse for not adopting, any dog that has had pups in a shelter will be well looked after. even going to a good breeder would be better than letting you're own dogs breed to order :rolleyes:

So what exactly was wrong with my aunt's dogs that she couldn't breed them?

You should really come down off your high horse and quit the snobbery. A dog from a good breeder's would be better? Both the parent dogs were from fantastic breeders. But it seems in your opinion, as soon as my aunt bought them- let alone bred them- they turned into useless pieces of rubbish.

Let me ask you something, if a friend or family member told you they were pregnant, would you turn around and say "You should have adopted a child, there's millions dying around the world"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

if someone doesnt want to go to a shelter for a pup thats their choice. nothing wrong with wanting a pup thats related to someones dog,least then they know its come from healthy well looked after stock.
    if i was you i'd decommision that soap box and put your moral high horse out to grass.

that's no excuse for not adopting,
    - ha and who says that someone needs to have an excuse Not to adopt a pet, quiet frankly if i dont want to adopt a dog than that would be my business as would it be if i did want to adopt a dog. Their is no harm in highlighting the need to rescue pets from shelters, pounds, rescues etc but their isnt a need in society for a must have to rescur/adopt attitude that is quiet condensending to others. Everyone has a choice when it comes to pet ownership and again neither method ie adopting/buying makes one person better than another, the care, love, attention and happy life the pet has with someone is far more important.

Imagine if all breeders went around saying "dont rescue buy pedigree dogs you know what your buying" then all hell would break loose - yet then on the other hand some are going around saying " oh rescue a dog dont buy one - a rescue will be more grateful/ need more loving and care etc" why is that ok to say??? at the end of the day regardless to how one gets a pet the result is the same : a pet one that will need love, commitment, time, attention,training, socialization, health care so on.
    Let me ask you something, if a friend or family member told you they were pregnant, would you turn around and say "You should have adopted a child, there's millions dying around the world"?
    - very good point indeed.

AT the end of the day why must every thread on here turn into such an issue, any one asking about where to buy a pup or what breed is sprung upon to rescue one instead yes it is an option but if the person asking the orginal post wanted to know where to rescue then why would they have asked the question or where to buy or what breed??

Oh ya lets force everyone to rescue/adopt and then when they realise they didnt actually want a rescue what will happen then:confused::confused:

people on here have the right to decide which option suits them best, and this snobbery and "morally the better option" crap shouldnt be so wide spread on here. maybe sticking to the threads purpose would be far better and more interesting reading.

maybe sticking to the threads purpose
    which I believe was to discuss a "breed" that doesn't exist? very interesting!
    So what exactly was wrong with my aunt's dogs that she couldn't breed them?
    the whole point of breeding is supposed to be to better the breed. what is the point in breeding 2 dogs of totally different breeds, to add even more dogs to the overpopulation? were they even health tested to make sure they didn't pass on any genetic faults to the pups? i.e. gsds are hip scored to try and prevent hip dysplasia in their pups etc.

the whole point of breeding is supposed to be to better the breed. what is the point in breeding 2 dogs of totally different breeds, to add even more dogs to the overpopulation? were they even health tested to make sure they didn't pass on any genetic faults to the pups? i.e. gsds are hip scored to try and prevent hip dysplasia in their pups etc.

You have not answered my question. If a friend or family member told you they were pregnant, would you turn around and say "You should have adopted a child, there's millions dying around the world"?

While we are at it, would you ask them if they had had themselves health checked first?

People have people that speak up for them, animals only have a few people who know about them and care about them. just see the amount of organisations for people vs. animal welfare.

and are you suggesting that health testing isn't an important thing for breeders to do?

People have people that speak up for them, animals only have a few people who know about them and care about them. just see the amount of organisations for people vs. animal welfare.

and are you suggesting that health testing isn't an important thing for breeders to do?

You still haven't answered my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

You still haven't answered my question.

I should imagine that is because your question is a moot one. Of course you wouldn't say that to someone who was pregnant.

Allow me to be devils advocate.
    There is nothing wrong with buying a pup from a breeder, nothing at all and this doesn't make anyone better or worse as a pet owner or a person once they give the dog the care it needs. However (and I think I recall Kerrysgold being involved in animal welfare) I was out on Saturday night until 11 o clock in the rain trying to catch a 9 month old pup that had been thrown out of a car and was sheltering in a field and had been there for the best part of two weeks.
    I think when you are very close to this type of cruelty and see that these poor creatures still have teh capacity to trust people and love people that SOMETIMES it is very hard to reconcile why people buy puppies when we are already overrun with them.

Kerrysgold - You have some very good points but sometimes I don't think you put them across very well.

I did manage to catch the pup on Saturday and he is currently in B&B at the Limerick Animal Welfare Kennels living it up :D

which I believe was to discuss a "breed" that doesn't exist? very interesting!
    stop being so patronising kerrysgold, the op asked who likes yorkies and used a common term "minature" which thousands use to refer to small breed yorkies making the dog still a YORKIE, a breed that DOES exist so stop going off topic, not one person on the thread aked "whats a mini yorkie?" you just shot in their saying they dont exist, when in fact different sizes do exist within the yorkie breed and people do use different terms to differientiate between the sizes ie standard size, small, toy, mini so on, regardless to whether or not it is recognised within the breed standard.
    what is the point in breeding 2 dogs of totally different breeds, to add even more dogs to the overpopulation?
    So the offspring of these breeds shouldnt be given good homes because there cross breeds is it? Ever think that maybe their more health than Pb's where line breeding/crossing exists? Or perhaps the owners loved the dogs temperments, had the dogs for years, knew they'd never get one like it again and that they were healthy and wanted to keep a pup for themselves and close family members? Dont get me wrong im not saying i agree or disagree with it the fact is you dont know the people or why they wanted to breed but that doesnt give you or anyone the right to assume there unreputable or to be so judgemental. This is only the internet afterall. There's a big difference in one wanted to keeping an offspring from their pet, than to those selling "designer" dogs for profitable purposes.
    Kerrysgold - You have some very good points but sometimes I don't think you put them across very well.
    I second that.
    If you do work in animal welfare thats wonderful and fair play to you, but no need to be so judgemental towards everyone else who buys pets or who breeds healthy tested animals.

I did manage to catch the pup on Saturday and he is currently in B&B at the Limerick Animal Welfare Kennels living it up
    that is wonderful news to hear, hope the pup is doing well.

• Advertisement

Just wanted to say that shinners007 is spot on with her response.

Nothing for me even to say cause shes said it all lol Fair play!

Advertisement