Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers unhappy with Toothpaste

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

News of the world Sun 15th June:

Asylum Seekers are smiling all the way to the bathroom after the Government approved a €3000 bill for top brand toothpaste.Refugees staying at the Eyre Powell Hotel in Newbridge ,Co Kildare also want taxpayers to splash out on fancy shower gel.The refugees have told welfare representatives they dont want to use the cheap chinese made "Cool Mate" toothpaste supplied to them.

They,ve also given Tesco,s own brand paste the brush off.Instead they now use "Colgate" landing the taxpayer with a €3000 pa bill on top of the €315,000 it costs to keep the Africans most of whom are from Nigeria at the plush Co Kildare Hotel.

But the fancy wash & brush up demands have caused a stink.Fine Gael TD Denis Naughten said: "I have no sympathy for asylum seekers complaining about the brand of toothpaste they are given".

Mick Power for the refugee group said he asked for the Chinese made toothpaste which is sold at Lidl to be ditched on health grounds.He added "we are also unhappy about shampoo and other hygiene products we feel are sub-standard" :D.

A spokesman for the reception and integration agency said: Supplies given to residents are the responsibility of the hotel management..

Am I being too harsh or do others think this is a disgrace and such a waste of taxpayers money ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭manic56

wes099 wrote: »
    News of the world Sun 15th June:

Asylum Seekers are smiling all the way to the bathroom after the Government approved a €3000 bill for top brand toothpaste.Refugees staying at the Eyre Powell Hotel in Newbridge ,Co Kildare also want taxpayers to splash out on fancy shower gel.The refugees have told welfare representatives they dont want to use the cheap chinese made "Cool Mate" toothpaste supplied to them.

They,ve also given Tesco,s own brand paste the brush off.Instead they now use "Colgate" landing the taxpayer with a €3000 pa bill on top of the €315,000 it costs to keep the Africans most of whom are from Nigeria at the plush Co Kildare Hotel.

But the fancy wash & brush up demands have caused a stink.Fine Gael TD Denis Naughten said: "I have no sympathy for asylum seekers complaining about the brand of toothpaste they are given".

Mick Power for the refugee group said he asked for the Chinese made toothpaste which is sold at Lidl to be ditched on health grounds.He added "we are also unhappy about shampoo and other hygiene products we feel are sub-standard" :D.

A spokesman for the reception and integration agency said: Supplies given to residents are the responsibility of the hotel management..

Am I being too harsh or do others think this is a disgrace and such a waste of taxpayers money ?

I think my cocker spaniel would do a better job of regulating immigration than current bunch of muppets.I find it hard to read this, imagine how many genuine Irish homeless/disabled/infirm could have benefited from this money.These asylum seekers should be put in a complex of prefabs in the backend of no where with lidle standard food.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Why don't you try living on 19.10 a day for 6 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

manic56 wrote: »
    I think my cocker spaniel would do a better job of regulating immigration than current bunch of muppets.I find it hard to read this, imagine how many genuine Irish homeless/disabled/infirm could have benefited from this money.These asylum seekers should be put in a complex of prefabs in the backend of no where with lidle standard food.

Really? It's amazing how you think you can do a better job than the current ministers.... Why don't you run in the next elections....

As i always say, asylum seekers should be given the opportunity to work. And as for the homeless, there was a show that the average homeless person makes a good living from begging on the street(also tax free)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

This is pretty typical behaviour from Nigerians from what I've seen. I have met nice Nigerians but they are few and far between from what I gather. They tend to be spongers unwilling to do anything for themselves. Africans from other countries don't seem to be half as bad, actually they can be quiet good. I usually frown on such generalisations but as I am just speaking from first hand experience on the Nigerians I've met which is not necessarily a reflection on all Nigerians.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Really? It's amazing how you think you can do a better job than the current ministers.... Why don't you run in the next elections....

As i always say, asylum seekers should be given the opportunity to work. And as for the homeless, there was a show that the average homeless person makes a good living from begging on the street(also tax free)

Asylum seekers working? they are here to seek protection not jobs. I have no problems with Nigerians, but the reality is, no matter how harsh there lives generally are in Nigeria ecomonic wise, they are not likely to face persecution and are in reality economic migrants. (see stats from orat and orac) if they want to come and work in europe, they should make their applications for work visas like any one else/

The solution is to improve waiting lists and make potentially weak cases priority so then these people can get their chances for be represented and then send them home should they be lawfully refused. cut down the waiting lists.

their entitlement to work will come WHEN they are granted a declaration of refugee status and only then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

professore wrote: »
    Why don't you try living on 19.10 a day for 6 months ?

Many people are, in real terms, due to mortgage and interest rates and fuel prices.

If someone gives me something for free, I'll say thanks and accept it.

If someone that I helped out whinged about the brand, I'd take it back.

Anyone who whinged about this is an ungrateful asshole and deserves a kick in the backside; and our own government deserves one for giving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ive purchased a tube of 'dentalux', watch this space for results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ever buy lidl teabags taste like volcanic dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

I shop in Lidl's all the time. Great stuff. If all these asylum seekers have to worry about is the no-name brand supplies they recieve, then they clearly have little else to concern them. Perhaps they could find better toothpaste back home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Ive tried the stuff and its grand. I'd certainly use it if someone gave it to me for nothing. Theres nothing wrong with the shower gel or shampoo either. I havent a clue what theyre moaning about...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wes099 wrote: »
    They,ve also given Tesco,s own brand paste the brush off.
    I bought this once. It was utterly awful.

Its €19.10 per adult, per week, not per day.

Its hardly a plush hotel if they are using Lidl or Tesco toothpate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Disgraceful waste of money! I really doubt that they're used to Colgate in Nigeria!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sink wrote: »
    This is pretty typical behaviour from Nigerians from what I've seen. I have met nice Nigerians but they are few and far between from what I gather. They tend to be spongers unwilling to do anything for themselves. Africans from other countries don't seem to be half as bad, actually they can be quiet good. I usually frown on such generalisations but as I am just speaking from first hand experience on the Nigerians I've met which is not necessarily a reflection on all Nigerians.

to be fair Nigerians tend to be better educated and more likely to do well compared to say East Africans, its the state that lays out the welfare traps.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Another morally corrupt decision by the Irish. What's new. I'll remember this when I hear about people on trolleys next in hospital corridors. The real big question in all this that I never hear asked is why didn't these people arrive here in the 1980's? Was Nigeria some kind of harmonious sophisticated paradise in that decade? I find it pretty sick to be honest.

To the people who harp on about the E19.10 per week - you make it sound as if the Irish have gone out to Nigeria and taken these people back here against their will or something. If you think back to the times when these provisions to seek asylum were initiated, it was when people were displaced around Europe after WWII. In those days people were grateful for anything they got. It was an opportunity to escape hell. A genuine refugee will flee over the border not make their way out to the NW extremity of another continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

topper75 wrote: »
    Another morally corrupt decision by the Irish. What's new. I'll remember this when I hear about people on trolleys next in hospital corridors. The real big question in all this that I never hear asked is why didn't these people arrive here in the 1980's? Was Nigeria some kind of harmonious sophisticated paradise in that decade? I find it pretty sick to be honest.

I find it pretty sick that Irish people bitch about anyone coming here whilst you lot have been spreading your bad genes the world over for generations...meanwhile your illustrious government is asking the US government to wipe the arse of all the illegal Irish in my country.

If you are so worried about the cost of the bad food we are paying to give refugees...tell you what... they can have the huge profits the GNIB and Entemp are making off me to feed these people properly.
    To the people who harp on about the E19.10 per week - you make it sound as if the Irish have gone out to Nigeria and taken these people back here against their will or something. If you think back to the times when these provisions to seek asylum were initiated, it was when people were displaced around Europe after WWII. In those days people were grateful for anything they got. It was an opportunity to escape hell. A genuine refugee will flee over the border not make their way out to the NW extremity of another continent.

And if you had a clue about the situation in Nigeria you would know that most of them do flee to surrounding countries. I've met enough of them in South Africa when I lived there.
    Unfortunately I suspect the people that decide who is a genuine Asylum seeker know about as much about Nigeria and the political situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

And if you had a clue about the situation in Nigeria you would know that most of them do flee to surrounding countries.
    Here, here. You never see people worrying about the asylum seekers seeking refuge in neighbouring developing countries. It's a fact that most of the world's asylum seekers flee to neighbouring developing countries that simply haven't the resources to handle such an influx. And here we are acting as if it's we who are hard done by.

There's so much casual racism on this thread it's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

DadaKopf wrote: »
    Here, here. You never see people worrying about the asylum seekers seeking refuge in neighbouring developing countries. It's a fact that most of the world's asylum seekers flee to neighbouring developing countries that simply haven't the resources to handle such an influx. And here we are acting as if it's we who are hard done by.

So I suppose they come here for the toothpaste?

...and dont' forget casual stupidity, hypocrasy and a bloated sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well the following comment from you is a bit rich so:
    sovtek wrote: »
    you lot have been spreading your bad genes the world over for generations
    Anyhoo, LOL at people who make generalisations about "the Nigerians". That country has a population of almost 125,000,000. Seriously... LOL.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Well the following comment from you is a bit rich so:

Turnabout is fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garbanz0

I've met loads of Irish people, and the nice ones are getting rarer. The are usually spongers unwilling to do anything for anyone else. They'd walk over an injured person lying in the street, rather than help.

Then, of course, there are the exceptions...

As an Irishman, I'm qualified to say this.

Anyhow, the toothpaste thing is just sour grapes. We Irish have the worst teeth in the world, the Nigerians the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why has this descended into an Irish/Nigerian racially prejudiced thread? That's pulling away from the point.

The point is that people who come here (from any country) seeking asylum are pushing things a bit too far when they demand higher quality food or bathroom provisions. It's laughable when other posters try to justify these outlandish demands because it totally undermines the claim that these people are fleeing persecution of some kind. Consider a genuine refugee scenario like Darfur. Are the people in camps there worried about the quality of toothpaste? I have my doubts.

You can't blame Irish people for becoming irate on discovering that those they have given to with no strings attached offer no gratitude but instead respond with a demand for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

It think perhaps a poll of the student population of Ireland to find out the most common toothpaste and shower gels they use, without stating why, would be useful here, if our own students can make do with it, people expecting something for nothing can make do with it.
    As for illegal Irish abroad, they should all be shipped back here and our government should not be asking other countries to treat them any differently IMO, the system is there for a reason.

The one thing I find baffling though, is that, AFAIK, you are required to request asylum in the first country you encounter, as such how are, seemingly, so many asylum seekers ending up here, we're not a big country and most transit routes other than by boat require you to enter other countries first?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

As someone who worked in Africa and more than often Nigeria I have to concur with this viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What a disgusting article from a rag of a paper

top brand toothpaste
    splash out
    fancy shower gel
    plush Co Kildare Hotel

Clearly intended to stir up the racist sentiments of the people who buy the piece of sh*t

Whatever the facts of the case, or the intentions of the Nigerians, the article is a piece of sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

dodgyme wrote: »
    As someone who worked in Africa and more than often Nigeria I have to concur with this viewpoint.
    In fairness, it's been well documented that many people running reception centres are using it as a cash cow, spending little-to-nothing on asylum seekers and pocketing the rest. These people are breaking the law. The conditions many asylum seekers live in are themselves an abuse of human rights, particularly given their isolated locations, poor conditions and the length of asylum processing times sometimes amounting to 'cruel and unusual punishment'.

I would say, as the less sensational newslink posted by Victor shows, that these issues are merely symbolic of the resident's anger at the denial of their dignity through being treated as second-class humans.

Isn't this what they left Nigeria to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Isn't this what they left Nigeria to avoid?

no,! how do you think these people got here. They are in the 'know' in Nigeria. Take a visit and see for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭manic56

[FONT=&quot]I have no problem with Genuine Nigerian asylum seekers coming here but why don't we get our own rising unemployment rate under control before taking care of another countries mess?
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

manic56 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]I have no problem with Genuine Nigerian asylum seekers coming here but why don't we get our own rising unemployment rate under control before taking care of another countries mess?
    [/FONT]

Then pull out of the treaty that obligates you to take in asylum seekers! Oh and you've had 15 years of low unemployment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement