Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels taking laser cards

Options
  • 16-06-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I stayed in a hotel a couple of weeks ago (its a well known chain of hotels throughout Ireland) and on check was asked for either a credit or debit card, I didnt have my cc with me so produced the laser card. The young girl then writes down my laser card details on the registration card . I asked her why she did this, but unfortunately could not understand me and why I questioned her.

At checkout the following morning, I asked to speak to the manager, she also wondered why there was a problem with writing down my card details on a piece of paper. She explained that they can not take a pre-auth on a debit card, I would have been more than happy to pay the full amount on check in if I was asked.
    I then asked for the registration card as I did not want my details lying around. In the end she ended up crossing out the card details.

Surely this is illegal, writing details down on a piece of paper for God knows who to have access to???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Name and shame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Every time you use a laser / credit card with any retail company / hotel / retaurant etc, they keep the full details of the card. Name on card, card number, Expiry date, and in many cases your address. - One way is the machine printing it, the other way is a staff member taking details down.

The receipt you recieve will only have the last 4 digit on it, but this is so that you can discard the receipt without fear of the number being copied. A retailer must keep all credit / laser card receipt for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just make sure you do not give ANY pin numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Its not illegal but there is an obligation on the retailer to ensure adequate protection of the card details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

BC wrote: »
    Its not illegal but there is an obligation on the retailer to ensure adequate protection of the card details.

Which unfortunately is often not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

One company I worked for gave a formal written warning to a colleague who lost a batch of visa slips. It's usually considered quite a serious thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BC wrote: »

This is a key point. On computerised systems, the staff members can enter numbers, but are then not able to see the digits afterwards, thus providing you with security.

Writing your laser card no on a piece of paper, is just not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Is it not illegal under data protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

LolaDub wrote: »

No - A retailer MUST keep a full record of transaction details for 18 months.

You as a customer, can query a creditcard payment for up to 12 months after you received a statement.

If you query a payment, the retailer is given the date, transaction amout, cardholder name & card number. The retailer must then match that information with their signed written slip or signed printed slip. Where a signature is not given (phone / internet orders) a copy of order & delivery signature would be required.

The retailer must give a copy of this to the credit card company who then verifies the signature.

Same with people saying that someone has asked for their bank account number - this is printed on the bottom of every cheque you write.

The signature / pin number is your security.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Wynns hotel on Abbey street did this with me.

I have kept a very close eye on bank details since.

Surely this shouldn't be allowed.

They had all of my details except the PIN.
    I even had to sign right next to these details on registration card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

LolaDub wrote: »
    englander wrote: »

You remember when companies just took carbon copies of the entire front of your credit cards and got you to sign a slip, right? Even that is still legal.

The company needs the correct details or they will not recieve payment for the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeh,

If you buy Train Tickets over the phone in Kent station they write it down in pen first and then type in the number later.

Also the Applecase and the Applestore for example, they take down details on paper and then process the transaction later.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

englander wrote: »

If you had signed "Joe Duck" on it, and, when you got the visa bill, said to visa company that you "never paid the hotel, please check the receipt", you could then refuse it, as it "clearly has Joe Duck written on it, and not my name"...

One of the boardies pulled that scam (writing Donald Duck on the reciept, and getting the money back rom the CC company) in an offie for a few weeks some years back, and the pub had to pull the system, and accept cash only, as they were losing money on it.

Advertisement