Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Rock and Jazz

• 16-06-2008 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The 'Prog for life' thread got me thinking - do those who like extended intrumental rockin' also have a thing for jazz esp of the improvised post-bop era as almost derfined by Miles Davis but also taking many others from Herbie Hanock to Weather Report to Sun Ra.

I must admit to, and my hard rock choices also tend to improv madness - Deep Purple being a good example with 20/30 min versions of Wring That Neck to be found about the place.

Is it just self-indulgent twaddle (the NME view) or is about the "groove" and "space" that allows the listener drift off into imagined worlds of perfectly judged guitar/keyboard solos and platform heeled Space babes from Planet Tightass. Sorry, dunno what came over me there :cool:

Mike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

definitely the latter. I like instrumental acid jazz. There is probably a link in that both genres use improvisation and musical journeys. The NME is full of sh1t. Ok some of it could be **** but there needs to be more guitar solos and self indulgence, not less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If Bob Dylan recited poetry for 20 minutes fad-mags like the one mentioned above would shower him with praise. If Richie Blackmore solos for 20 minutes it's self indulgent. I am of the opinion that a skilful instrumentalist is just as valid at expressing themselves through their instrument as a vocalist is through words.

The secret to success is to listen to music and ignore music journalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish I hadn't mentioned the NME now! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

12/17 time, Nice!

Mike.

• Advertisement

mars volta is pretty much jazz rock for songs like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Gotta say I really liked the music on that Mars Volta vid, can't stand the vocals though.

yar the vocals in that song are very monotonal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Ha ha went to post the Spinal Tap Jazz Oddysey and seen I was beaten to it.

But I suppose when most people think Jazz and Rock they think of this kind of stuff. Lets face it is a very acquired taste, and very hit and miss.

Take for example from German Kosmische\Krautrock music you have Agitation free which are blissful, Faust which is very avant garde, and Kraan who are so Muzak Jazzy it could be heard being played in an elevator, and Dyzan who are from another planet.

I bought Frank Zappa's shut up and play yer guitar box set years ago and only now able to get my head around it.

Another notable band well worth a mention is is Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Here are the brilliant Agitation free

And if you want a laugh here's Kraan

Agitation Free pretty good.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement