Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema in Wexford Town

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Where is the best cinema in Wexford Town and where abouts is it? Any links?! Thanks.

Staying in Whites Hotel, so any directions from there is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

There is only one and its closing down next week, Its unknown if another cinema will ever open in Wexford Town in the future.

http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/omniplex/CinemaInfo/wexfordinfo.htm
    http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/omniplex/wexford.htm

Its just down from the Train Station, Only a few minutes walk for Whites Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

theres a new big fancy one opening on the rosslare roundabout in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

ok from whites hotel exit through the back of the hotel and you will find yourself on the main pedestrianised shopping area.

Turn left (walking past Thai restaurant on left (with clothes shop downstairs) and Abrakababra on right.....keep walking.

At the bottom of the road you will see a Dunnes across the traffic lights - cross the lights and follow Dunnes store around by the right (towards the Dunnes car park). Godfathers pizza place is on the opposite side of the road - cross the road and walk past it - cinema is immediately on your right at the end of the parade of shops.

The new cinema once open is situated just outside of town but too far to walk IMO

It is on the rosslare road near the 'farmers kitchen' hotel/restaurant in Drinagh - very cheap taxi ride - make sure it is open though! (I think it opens early July)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Stephen90

Just got a job in said cinema. It is pretty damn cool I must say! Havent been in to watch a full show yet myself, but even from popping in and out, the place looks absolutely savage! Well worth checking out if your about.

And no, I dont get paid for boards posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

My impressions of the new cinema having been there yesterday afternoon.

The good:

Picture quality is superb. Looks as if you're watching a really well encoded hd picture, which I suppose is exactly what you are doing seeing as it's all digital.

Saw "Forbidden Kingdom" with Jackie Chan & Jet Li which had a lot of scenes set in an old Chinese palace built using a lot of gold and in the Chinese countryside which looked breathtaking.

No more scratches and no more playing spot the "cigarette burn" in the top right hand corner of the screen every 20 minutes!

The sound was very loud but clear. You can feel the bass in your seat, although the sound in the commercials was definitely louder. Taking a tip from tv commercials no doubt.

Pretty good legroom with the seats. Toilets were nice with good roomy cubicles and nifty Dyson hand dryers. (I'm starting to sound like the pub spy from the Sunday World!)

The ticket price was €9.00 which is only 50cent more than the old cinema and compares well with a Vue cinema I went to in London last week which cost £7.45 for a ticket.

The bad:

The seats aren't the most comfortable I've ever sat in in a cinema but probably just a matter of getting used to them.

The lights were left on up until the first couple of minutes of the film until someone went out to tell them. Not the "mood lighting" along the sides of the wall but the main big, incredibly bright lighting in the roof of the theatre. I know that this was just human error, but seriously, at this point you'd think that they'd have that automated too.

A 750ml bottle of water cost €2.80! This was probably only a shock to me as in the Redmond Square cinema I basically never bought anything in the cinema. I always got something from O'Neils or Dunnes.

Yes I know that cinemas make their money from sweet & drink sales and it is a bit of a captive market, but still. I can see the garage just up the road from the cinema getting a lot of business in the future.

The location is definitely a bit of a problem if you can't drive (like myself) and don't want to have to get taxi's in and out all the time. It isn't really a spur of the moment thing anymore. A taxi rank set up out there would probably make a small fortune.

I think the Wexford Shuttlebus crowd are doing some sort of service out to Drinagh but afaik it's only once an hour but I'm not 100% sure of that. FYI, it took me approx 35-40 minutes to walk from the cinema to Tesco. Although I am a bit (yeah right!) on the heavy side so you may want to take that into account.

Overall, very happy with this new addition and I'm looking forward to seeing Wall-E, The Dark Knight & The X-Files over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Thanks for the heads up kmurph.....was thinking of taking a trip there soon.....will make sure I bring food n drink with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Declan Bates does the trips.
    MOD EDIT: PM jd for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

Went last Saturday. Picture quality was very good but I have 2 complaints. 1. The seats are usless. Their like broken recliners when you sit back the seat goes back but you have no way to control them. The biggest problem though is the parking. We drove around for 5 minutes and eventually had to go back out onto the main road a park about 400 yards away. You would think that the parking is something they should get right !? How did it get by the planners !?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I think the seats are mega comfortable, compared to the old cinema its like sitting on air. I didnt have as much leg room as i would have liked but i was in one of the smaller screens and im pretty tall so meh. The place isnt as cool as Storm in Waterford but again compared to the old cinema its unreal. They still only have 4 or 5 films showing though which is rubbish, ive heard some of the screens are still waiting on delivery of seats but they'd wanna get it sorted quickly and have a full choice of 8 screens imo as every film out there at the moment is garbage.

Just a follow up about the seats, went to see Wall-E on Friday in screen 2 and the seats there were different than in screen 8 and are much more comfortable.

• Advertisement

One more thing that I've noticed about the cinema is that mobile phone reception within the building seems to be non-existent.

:D

Tough for all the idiots who don't seem to be able to survive 2 hours without checking for messages or missed calls seemingly on a minute by minute basis but fantastic for the rest of us who go to the cinema to actually watch a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hereNqueer

totally agree

Advertisement