Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads up regarding security/storage arrangements

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

Here's a story about someone who had a recent visit from a crime prevention officer. Moved house, simply wanted a change of address approval on FACs. This bloke spent a bit of time and money on security:

I.P. cameras, monitored alarm, GSM dialler, secondary ESB independent audible alarm, steel window bars, a welded in combination safe and a welded in long arm safe - all within an 800lb custom safe with 4 mortise locks, a one inch bar roller padlock, no components to make up a working firearm (bolts, mags etc. not stored together), separate ammo storage, house occupied all day every day, any cutting/power tools in another safe, keys stored separately (i.e. several bunches needed to get at firearms). BS standard (dunno which one, the PVC bloke put it in) door. Lives in the country but neighbours well in earshot.

Was told if he was applying for a pistol licence afresh, would NOT be approved as the door opened inwards and therefore could be kicked in, in theory.

This is not posted to complain about strict guidelines, just this; before you spend any time or money on storage (say building a new house) contact your local Crime Prevention Officer FIRST and get in writing what is required/advised.

He's getting the door done.

Save yourself some hassle.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Jesus... They don't half muck around with you mob, do they?

(Looks at the four firearms sitting in padlocked cases on the shelf behind him)

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I think he should go and get a second opinion of his CPO's competance to judge security storage issues! :rolleyes:That is total overkill.What door is he on about?It isnt really clear from your post.Front door,door to gun vault...?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Jeezes, nearly sure the launching codes for the NATO nuclear arsenal as less well secured... :confused: OK, you need your stuff secured, there's no arguing about that but this really sounds like serious overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This strikes me as a case of "however but......" quite simply the CPO doesn't like to say that this is ok, because when someone in authority says something is ok, then he has personally approved it.

So, what happens here be it a member of the guards, a Health and Safety Inspector, or whatever, when he sees something over and above what he normally sees and requires and he cant really add constructively to get you to take action, he adds in the " Yes ok, however but....." comments.

You see it can never be said that your friend was 100 % compliant.

In my honest opinion, It would be quite difficult to kick in a door which is properly bolted, alarmed etc. Would there not be as great a likliehood for the thief to pry the door open. Lets also mention the fact and disadvantage of a door which opens outwards, being opened to a caller who can now pull the door open and get his foot behind it and prevent you from closing it.

Definetly a case of "yes, however......"

An old saying springs to mind, if you have nothing good to say say nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What door is he on about?It isnt really clear from your post.Front door,door to gun vault...?

Front door. You'd have to get through, count them, 4 doors, 2 PVC (common or garden on every house in the country doors) and two of 4mm steel to get a functioning firearm, assuming you had ammo with you.

Bear in mind a year or two ago, this is the same CPO that needed to come out to inspect previous storage arrangements for a second pistol application, just 5 months after the first inspection and nothing, whatsoever had been changed from the initial setup. I'm assuming this is coming down from on high.

I wanted to warn everyone, no matter how secure you think your setup is, check first or it can cost you later.

• Advertisement

this really sounds like serious overkill.

That's why there was such disappointment at the CPO's reaction.
    Anyone know someone who can lay a minefield as a nixer?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the "check it first" level, you might consider just implementing the base level of the NCPU's recommendations and then getting the CPO in to check and to tell you what they want extra, if anything; same way you'd do an NCT test for your car.

If that is the case we are again playing guess the security requirements game again

As far as I know this is the only publically available document which mentions security arrangements in the state

http://www.nargc.ie/Upload/Docs/NARGC-FIREARMS-SAFETY-MANUAL.pdf

and in the uk, this is the document you must refernence.

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/operational-policing/firearms-handbook.pdf?view=Binary

These detail minimum security requirements.

I thought we were passed all this:confused:

No, the NCPU's recommendations were posted here in the FCP conference thread as well:
    "Measures must be consummerate with risk"
    The liklihood of an event and the seriousness of the event must be considered.
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).
    Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).

My mistake, I thought those requirements where set out in the NARGC document (whoops)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

G17 wrote: »
    Front door.

Excuse the ignorance, but don't all domestic front doors (everywhere in the world) open inwards? Surely the front door is irrelevant if a shaped charge is the only way to open the vault??

Hell, even mine (a security door) opens inwards. And if someone found they couldn't kick it in (and they've tried with both boots and a screwdriver), they just go to them great big glass things that most houses tend to have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To be fair the OP didn't specify which door was the problem. My front door opens inwards and was OK'd by a CPO, so I doubt it's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

My door opens in aswell but has a 5 point lock into the frame so they'd be kicking for a good while.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That's why there was such disappointment at the CPO's reaction.
    Anyone know someone who can lay a minefield as a nixer?:D:D:D

Nope! But I can build you a bunch of very nasty man traps ala First Blood if the CPO approves.:D:D:D:D:D

Errr, front doors in the western World[bar ancient Athens and Sparta ,Greece] open inwards..:rolleyes:
    I reckon this is a case of instead of keeping ones mouth shut and being thought a fool,he/she opened it and removed all doubt.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

rrpc wrote: »
    To be fair the OP didn't specify which door was the problem. My front door opens inwards and was OK'd by a CPO, so I doubt it's that.

Front, and indeed, only door.

Sparks wrote: »
    they just go to them great big glass things that most houses tend to have...

Yep, he also apparently mentioned he was unhappy with the beading being on the outside, too easy to remove the pane and squeeze through, bypassing the door sensor (even though there's a PIR above door inside too).

A local bloke has put in, quite literally, a gun vault, complete with used door from a bank refurb, the CPO seems to now grade all others against this.

So be careful if your local 'boy done good' decides to wow it up with a walk in firearm wardrobe, your Warmflow gun cabinet might just not be good enough (pants anway, seen one prised open with a shovel, didn't even scratch the paint, only stops honest people).

Hopefully our FCP champions will iron all this out so at least it's fair for everyone..............

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nope! But I can build you a bunch of very nasty man traps ala First Blood if the CPO approves.:D:D:D:D:D

Coooool, do you take Visa!?

I can hear it now "Honey, there's two scumballs pinned to the floor with their own shin bones, I can't get to the dryer".....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

Yep, he also apparently mentioned he was unhappy with the beading being on the outside, too easy to remove the pane and squeeze through, bypassing the door sensor (even though there's a PIR above door inside too).

he (the cpo) has a point there as regarding the door i have to agree with grizzly,it makes no difference if the door opens out or in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

patbundy wrote: »
    he (the cpo) has a point there as regarding the door i have to agree with grizzly,it makes no difference if the door opens out or in

Depends on the locking mechanism. If it was a yale type lock, then it's not very secure. Three or five point locking is probably what most of them look for now.

Beading being removed is easier said then done, especially with a trembler on the door. You'd be surprised at how much force is needed when the door's been in situ for a while.

• Advertisement

do you wanna bet rrpc:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

i bet pat you are from the northside of cork the door will be easy for you
    then:eek:to break into as a test ONLY:p

ha ha relax hair ,you are too far for me:D

post number 400 for ME and no BAN:poo did i speak to soon:rolleyes:

thehair wrote: »
    post number 400 for ME and no BAN:poo did i speak to soon:rolleyes:

your banned:D:D:D..jes that felt good

who made you a mod:pthat felt better:D PS go back on topic or ELSE
    you know what:rolleyes:

true hair. i find easier to get through most modern doors.dont worry lads ,i used to make and fit them,now i just fit them

true hair. i find easier to get through most modern doors.dont worry lads ,i used to make and fit them,now i just fit them
    AND THEN COPY THE KEYS ANS=YES OR NO:eek: DO YOU

ha ha ha no hair,i dont,its a position of trust and i must respect that

• Advertisement

ha ha ha no hair,i dont,its a position of trust and i must respect that

and that is the truth JUDGE:eek: ooo ok pat

Advertisement