Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads up regarding security/storage arrangements

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

With regards to being worried about the beading being removed and then the glass. Put a couple of extra PIRs in the rooms leading into the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

With regards to being worried about the beading being removed and then the glass. Put a couple of extra PIRs in the rooms leading into the house

Most modern doors with double glazed units don't just rely on the beading to hold the glass in, but also have silicone between the unit and the door frame. At least mine do anyway ;)

So you may get the beading off, but you still have to break the silicone seal to remove the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

At this stage of the game,unless the robber has months of time to do all this glass removing and is a very consientious type of chap.I think a size12 Doc Martin pick or sledge key is more the appropriate tool going to be used.
    Cos lets face it .No matter WHAT you put in as a deterrent,it is now the RESPONSE time of the gaurdians of law and order to the alarm.Not much good if two zones have been penetrated,and they insist a key holder is sent out to check the premises for a false alarm.Goodoh ,now you have sent an innocent party over to get involved in somthing potentially dangerous.It should be if there are two zones penetrated in a house ,within a certain time period ,and tthat the Gardai know there are firearms .[Which they do]it is treated as a real/hostile situation,and responded too as such.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

At this stage of the game,unless the robber has months of time to do all this glass removing and is a very consientious type of chap.I think a sixe12 Doc Martin pick or sledge key is more the appropriate tool going to be used.
    Going on my own experience and what the Gardai told me afterwards, the most likely tool is a screwdriver or a sparkplug (for windows, especially car windows, and that's happened to me as well). Most burglaries are defeated by having a good quality door and lock, and actually locking the door. Certainly when I got done, they tried the front door with the screwdriver twice (couldn't have been more than 30 seconds of effort) and then they gave up and attacked the rear door, which unfortunately was a patio door without an anti-lift device (now rectified).

Thing is, they were in the house less than five minutes by the Gardai's estimate and they bypassed a *lot* of expensive stuff looking for stuff that was both expensive and small enough to put in a sock (they stuff the sock down their crotch on leaving the house because a Garda's not likely to search there on a casual suspicion that they've been up to something if they're caught; and it's easier to throw away as well if they have to run). Since I had a few watches by my bed (which the Garda said they don't steal because it's hard to explain why you're wearing six watches if you're caught), they tossed my bedroom looking for stuff like that. They didn't even try to open the safe when they found it was locked and the key was nowhere in sight (I've always carried the key with me).

Now I rang the Garda station the moment I got home to find the place tossed. I spoke to the FO directly (I know the guy reasonably well) and he literally came straight up (probably to make sure the rifles were still there!) - and that took ten minutes. There really isn't any reasonable way that they could have caught the burglars, even with a monitored alarm, there's too much delay in the system.

To be honest, the monitored alarms, and all that fancy stuff - that's for the rare cases where the burglar either isn't very good and hangs about too long; or the hollywood movie case of someone targeting you to steal your firearms and is somehow daft enough to stand there trying to crack the safe in the house after having broken in and set off the alarm. It's probably true that firearms get stolen - but I'd lay pretty high odds that all those that were stolen were not stolen from locked firearms safes/cabinets. For my money, I'd say yes, get the monitored alarm and all that jazz, becuase (a) it brings down your house insurance premium and (b) you have to do what the Super says anyway; but to keep the firearm safe and secure, make sure you have good door and window locks and that you use them; lock the firearm in the safe or cabinet; don't leave anything in plain sight in the car; and generally use the same common sense every one of us has been using for as long as we've been shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

I have heard this spefic house is very well protected. Apart from 3 fully grown German Shepherds on guard at all time the longtime friend of the family Chief Super Name not mentioned will have the local Garda put the boot down to make it out on time No worries lads.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Guys

I have to say its time for a reality check. Must guys who break in are looking for the stuff that can be flogged quickly. They wont know a firearm is in the house. The best way to defeat these guys is to make your house look a bit better than the one next store, Lights gates etc get the basics right then worry about the expensive solutions.
    If they know firearms are there and they are after them -well then all you can hope to do is delay them for long enough for someone to respond. No security system is invunerable, its just a matter of time.

REgards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    At this stage of the game,unless the robber has months of time to do all this glass removing and is a very consientious type of chap.I think a size12 Doc Martin pick or sledge key is more the appropriate tool going to be used.
    Cos lets face it .No matter WHAT you put in as a deterrent,it is now the RESPONSE time of the gaurdians of law and order to the alarm.Not much good if two zones have been penetrated,and they insist a key holder is sent out to check the premises for a false alarm.Goodoh ,now you have sent an innocent party over to get involved in somthing potentially dangerous.It should be if there are two zones penetrated in a house ,within a certain time period ,and tthat the Gardai know there are firearms .[Which they do]it is treated as a real/hostile situation,and responded too as such.
    no no grizzly 45

down in mayo they would used a 1 JCB a man called has one you now
    BOB THE BUILDER:p IF THAT IS NOT GOOD FOR THE JOB THEN:eek:
    AAAA YES HITACH MODEL E-X-120 STEVE:D

Advertisement