Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throttle one connection?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi lads listen we've two computers using one of Eircom's piss poor Netopia 3374NWG routers. Basically one is using wireless and one is connected via cable. I want to throttle the PC connection to the point where it basically uses as little of the bandwidth as possible. How do I go about doing this.

The main culprite is a combination of bebo and all its ruddy images and msn spamming of images ie. omg appearing as some character and so on.

It means those of us using wireless for gaming (and paying) are literally crippled every night. This is an eircom 2mb connection.

Oh yes eircom were kind enough to call and "upgrade" us to 2mb, even though that was our existing connection and we noticed a sharp drop from 1.86 down to 1.47 when we were "upgraded".

Anyway cheers in advance. Oh yes I do understand static ips and both computers ips have been set to static

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

let me guess, little brother or sister that loves bebo and IMing their friend who they saw 5 mins ago at school? they're probably streaming a crap load of music and video too :P

but to answer your question, no. You can't exactly throttle them with a netopia, you can however use QOS (quality of service), giving preference to your game traffic. To do this you need to know the ports that the games you play use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sharing 2M is probably part of the problem. Can you (afford) upgrade to 3M at all? The increased upload from 256k to 384k will also help with the gaming. If you have an old PC, you could set it up as a router, with something like Smoothwall, which I'm pretty sure can be configured to traffic shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

jor el wrote: »
    Sharing 2M is probably part of the problem. Can you (afford) upgrade to 3M at all? The increased upload from 256k to 384k will also help with the gaming. If you have an old PC, you could set it up as a router, with something like Smoothwall, which I'm pretty sure can be configured to traffic shape.

if u can afford to upgrade to 3 meg then ul be upgraded to 7.6 meg in the next couple of weeks for free,if u stay at 2 meg ul only go up to 3 meg when the free upgrades come are delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

And the email read: Dad upgrade to 3meg there please!

Reply: Done.

7.6 meg here we come :d Still a far cry froma lot of my buddies in Scandanavia with there 100/100 meg !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

7.6 will be a great jump over the 2 meg u were used to,im also waiting on the 7.6 meg upgrade,the sooner the better!

• Advertisement
Advertisement