Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Galway

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi, heading to Galway on Saturday for Westlife. Staying in Oranmore so I assume we'll have to get a taxi into Galway from there? Ticketmaster give directions to Pearse Stadium but don't give a distance. Is it walking distance from Eyre Square?

Also, we're maybe looking for somewhere good to eat, not too pricey, pub grub would be fine and anywhere that's good for a few drinks after? 4 or 6 of us 24-32 into our pop and classic oldies.

Any help, much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

You can get a bus to town from Oranmore, though the last one leaves at 11 at night I think.

As for clubs... Twirleys :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Weidii wrote: »
    As for clubs... Twirleys :pac:

I don't know - the send-someone-to-Twirleys gag is mostly a standby for like stags and lads on the prowl (ie - you're looking for women...i'll send you to the gay club!). Don't know that it really works for someone going to a Westlife concert. What would be the polar opposite of that - Sally Longs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

And to contribute usefulness to the thread - I believe Pearse statium is a good bit out in salthill. It would be about an hour walk from Eyre Square. It's actually a very nice walk along the salthill prom in nice weather, but for dinner than the show, you'll probably want a cab (I'd guess around 15 euros from eyre square).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

A cab in from oranmore to Eyre Sq should be around the 15-20euro mark (Orancabs next to Keanes pub), not sure how much extra it would be to get to salthill.
    There are a couple of pubs that do grub in salthill (lohans springs to mind next to the roundabout on the prom) though not sure what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

tristanc wrote: »
    And to contribute usefulness to the thread - I believe Pearse statium is a good bit out in salthill. It would be about an hour walk from Eyre Square. It's actually a very nice walk along the salthill prom in nice weather, but for dinner than the show, you'll probably want a cab (I'd guess around 15 euros from eyre square).
    It'd probably be less if you're local but allow for an hour anyway.

Taxi driver will know where it is.
    Directions so you can see whereabout it is. Don't walk this way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Definetly get a taxi from Eyre Sq. to Pearse Stadium, its a long stroll :)

As for food, the Front Door on Quay St. is great for the pub grub but if you fancy a pizza and afew drinks, Monroes, just over the bridge is great craic at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

tristanc wrote: »
    It would be about an hour walk from Eyre Square. It's actually a very nice walk along the salthill prom in nice weather, .

An hour? Maybe if you stop at 2 or 3 pubs along the way...25 min walk from eyre square to pearse stadium, max

OP, Best bet is to get a cab from oranmore to pearse stadium (€20 roughly) and then follow the crowd back into the city afterwards...If the weather is fine you could walk it. Alternatively, book a cab (when you get the cab to there) for somewhere close to the stadium for after the concert to bring you back into the city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

if you provide pics we'll be better informed and able to make a recommendation blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    An hour? Maybe if you stop at 2 or 3 pubs along the way...25 min walk from eyre square to pearse stadium, max

I'd say closer to 35 mins but then presumably these wimmins will be wearing high heels which may slow the herd down some

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why not just get a bus from Oranmore => Eyre Square. Have a pint. Bus from Eyre Square => Salthill

Then walk back into town after, and cab home.

Bus details available from Bus Eireann website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the Salthill bus goes by the stadium. get it from the bottom of Eyre square. I'd still recommend walking though. I don't know what the stadium is like for the concerts, but it can sure get messy down around Dr. Mannix for the football matches. It can be done in around half an hour depending what route you take. If it's a good day go out by the Prom, then cut up by Leisureland. it'll add another 10 minutes or so to the walk but it's among the most enjoyable walks in Galway anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

the bus probably wont go by the stadium when the concerts got all the roads blocked off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DRakE wrote: »
    the bus probably wont go by the stadium when the concerts got all the roads blocked off

I thought the buses get exemption, or there are some specials ones put on or summat? no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Walk along by the Claddagh & Pearse Staduim from Jurys is approx 20/25 minutes, definetely no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Thanks everyone! looking at the weather due this weekend we defo won't be walking!!

Advertisement