Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new van, advice needed please

• 16-06-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

after many camping trips by the coast out of the back of my car i finally took the plunge and bought a van on impulse the other day. unfortunately there's a few gaps in my knowledge of the area especially regarding the legal side - any advice appreciated.

its a ten year old commercial LWB Tall Renault Master which has been modified by the previous owner to include rear windows, opening skylight, sink, gas hob and double bed. however it is still registered, taxed and insured as a commercial vehicle and has a recent DOE.

i want to change it to campervan status to keep everything legal. is there a fee involved and a possibility of having to pay VRT? Is there anything i'm missing from that list of features that would preclude it from being changed to a campervan? what is the legal status of "commercial" vehicles like these being modified and used for recreational purposes if not registered as a campervan?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Mullett,not sure about the vrt on conversions,I do know there is certain criteria it must meet,ie internal height(1.8m?) and possibly fixed sink?

Best bet is a horrible trip and wait,rudeness from staff and complete disinterest at your local revenue office(its in Fury park,santry if your in Dublin) Yes I'm bitter!!! Had too many dealings with them over the last couple of years with importing different vehicles,I never look forward to it!

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

have to say i have had the opposite experience, the gang in wexford vro are great very helpful and couldn't be nicer, glad i live in wexford! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The guys in Wicklow are pleasant and helpful, although sometimes difficult to contact. I'd say it's just the luck of the draw.
    Do you really need to change it, you may just be opening a can of worms.
    I drive a van as well as a motorhome, the cost for insurance is pretty similar.
    The tax on the van is somewhat higher but it might just be a price worth paying.
    Ring your local office with a "what if" enquiry, don't give them too many personal details at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

You'll need a visit to your local VRO office to determine VRT charge. You appear to have the basics required to be considered a MH, in addition the internal height needs to be above 1.8meters. If you're above the 1.8m then you're looking at VRT around 13% of open market selling price (omsp), possibly €1500. Currently your road tax is around €150? insurance say €500 and whatever DOE charges... as a MH tax would be €85, insurance around €350. Decide if it's worth spending say €1500 to save mabey €300 per year.
    Insurance: You've got a policy, check it to see if there's anything that doesn't allow you to use it as a MH. I'm sure if you were carrying a pile of passangers then insurance may be a problem but if it's just yourself and mabey partner than it shouldn't be a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mulletamoeba

thanks lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement